Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Q6

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

24 hrs after ordering my Q6 arrived from Monk Bar. Very well packed having been tested before dispatch. What a superb model this is  - well weighted and beautifully finished. Good smooth runner as well. In the photo's I thought the cab windows looked a but plasticky but not an issue when seen in the flesh.

If Hornby stick to making models to this standard then surely the future is bright for them.

J27 next please! :)

When Hornby get something right it can be very good and the Q6 seems to be excellent.  Full marks to Hornby.

I grew up in Middlesbrough (before Teesside) and the Q6 was the major player (supported by J26 / J27 types).

I have been playing with my latest purchases and there is a video here including some other 'Middlesbrough' engines.  Bogie bolsters and ICI chlorine tank wagons predominate.  If you didn't work in the iron and steel industry you probably worked at ICI.  Apologies for the ex GWR brake van (and bolsters) which keep making an appearance - most of my stock is ex WR / LMR.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 3

I'm in with the Q6 crowd.

Finally got time to give my late crest engine a first run today. Looks awesome and nicely captures the balance of gracefulness and guts of the original. I'll add a bit of weathering eventually but for now enjoying it in all it's pristine glory. 

This is the first brand new engine I've managed to buy since getting back into the hobby and it was worth saving up for. What a little beauty it is! 

• Like 2

post-13358-0-61590100-1468360340_thumb.jpg

Mine has now had an hour of running in each direction on the club layout Phoenix Park- just what you need in the Nottingham suburbs.  Still my last loco run in there was the Beattie well tank.   The Q6 was almost silent and ran slowly straight out of the box.  I' m really impressed....

I've got a Digitrax chip to put into it and it can then get some gentle weathering and probably a renumbering (though maybe not) and it will take its place in the preservation fleet on No Place, though when Phoenix Park gets to exhibition the Q6 may be borrowed as it made a positive impression (as did the J50 of another member running in on the other track).

Les

• Like 4

I dunno if anyone's raised this already but can someone clarify for me, how many of the Q6's had steam reversers? I thought all of them, and NELPG's engine does, but my Hornby seems to have a reversing rod, and this feature is highlighted in the (very nice) review in Hornby Magazine.

I dunno if anyone's raised this already but can someone clarify for me, how many of the Q6's had steam reversers? I thought all of them, and NELPG's engine does, but my Hornby seems to have a reversing rod, and this feature is highlighted in the (very nice) review in Hornby Magazine.

Nothing I have seen or read suggests that any Q6s were converted to lever reverse. RCTS specifically states that they all had and retained the two handle reversing system.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing I have seen or read suggests that any Q6s were converted to lever reverse. RCTS specifically states that they all had and retained the two handle reversing system.

All of the Q6s were Steam Reverse. They were never changed. The rod highlighted in Porcy's post was the draincock rod.

ArthurK

All of the Q6s were Steam Reverse. They were never changed. The rod highlighted in Porcy's post was the draincock rod.

Round piston casings on the Q6 and square on the Q7 if I remember rightly?

The review was OKish until it got to a lament about the lack of a dummy screw coupling.

Bernard

Okay... so very happy to get these two Q6s finally onto the layout if only to pose. They are needing to be chipped before they can run, although I'm looking for a Q6 sound chip and need to rest finances to get those. 

Mine have taken the guise of two 'local' engines being a lad brought up and raised in south west Durham, and loving the stories and image of what others have told me about the region, its engine and their work, particularly over towards the pennines and this part of the world. 

post-7347-0-55814100-1468526060_thumb.jpg

The first engine seen is 63398, of 51F - West Auckland. The engine has been renumbered and carries the new shedplate. Its also been treated to a white disk on its smokebox door which is what the depot boilershith deed. Mr Gordon Reed, if memory of research (and Porcy's mention of him earlier) shows. 

post-7347-0-79331000-1468526171_thumb.jpg

The other is NELPG engine 63395, a dilligent and practical member of the NYMRs fleet at present. Both of them are seen here. 

post-7347-0-01756500-1468526411_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-63820200-1468526435_thumb.jpg

post-7347-0-06151800-1468526451_thumb.jpg

The model does not lend itself to an accurate version of the NELPG machine, as it is running with the larger NER 4125 gln tender, possibly off a Q5. Pictures of 63395 in traffic during British Railways do show it running with a tender as per the model, but the preserved version appears to be different. Regardless of this its an engine I wanted to see and have running at the moment. I doubt many would notice the difference and the tender is something I would be looking to change if Hornby do not release a new version of it in the future. This 63395 can then be renumbered to suit later.

post-7347-0-51815600-1468526463_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to giving them more detail and sound when possible. 

• Like 6

I also couldn't work out why the Hornby Mag reviewer wanted a screw coupling either, a three link yes.

Maybe he hasn't left school yet?    :smile_mini2: He needs to tighten up :rolleyes_mini: on his research.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

I would have thought that the rod was a sanding gear operating rod. I am waiting for my LNER Q6 to turn up in the post. It is now due (as there is a association meeting this weekend means it will turn up on monday :superstition: )  I have ordered the Zimo 645R from YouChoos which will turn up in the next few weeks as well so mine will be Sound fitted in no time!. Black hat if I can convince SRman to do a recording we may be able to put up a video.... not that I have ever done that before!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought that the rod was a sanding gear operating rod. I am waiting for my LNER Q6 to turn up in the post. It is now due (as there is a association meeting this weekend means it will turn up on monday :superstition: )  I have ordered the Zimo 645R from YouChoos which will turn up in the next few weeks as well so mine will be Sound fitted in no time!. Black hat if I can convince SRman to do a recording we may be able to put up a video.... not that I have ever done that before!

On NER locos the sanding rods were on the left under control of the fireman. The driver had control of the draincocks. NER locos were righthand drive.

ArthurK

So, did yours arrive today, Doug? I received a package from Hattons today, with more still to come.

The tender on 63395 is almost certainly not what it claims to be.  

63395 changed tender sometime around 1961 to the type it was built with (4195 gallon with round frame slots and coal rails sloping down at the ends).

It then changed tender in March 1965 then again on 30th September 1965 to the current one.  This tender is a 3940 gallon type and was new in 1911 attached to Q5 no.771.  However the box is now a 4195 gallon type.  I can't find a record of when it was rebuilt.

This gives it as having four or four-and-a-half tenders in BR days.

Hope this helps but it probably confuses more than anything...

Les

Edited by Les1952