Q6

NHY 581

One thing I'm looking to get is the larger tender to go and model 63395. I think it can be purchased as a separate kit which would allow me to marry the kit body onto a Hornby chassis with the DCC gubbins - or at least that's the plan. Question is; will Hornby eventually model this tender too. Probably - as I expect it was factored in and that plans are there for 63395 to be done.

That being said, I'm sure the Q6 will be selling well. Seen as though people want it and unlike Bachmann its not getting its price massively jacked up. The photo might not have been deliberate online to show to steal Bachmann's thunder, but it definitely made the point that Hornby is easily capable of proving it can still make a great model when it counts and true to traditional standards and expectations. Hopefully, this model goes someway to repair Hornby's image and reputation while those same fair questions that were aimed at Hornby could now be asked of others in the market place.

Hopefully, not long to wait.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for someone's Q7 to come out and keep it company....

In the largest roundtuit cupboard known to man... :wink_mini:

It must have more room in it than any wardrobe from the imaginarium of CS Lewis.

P

In the largest roundtuit cupboard known to man... :wink_mini:

It must have more room in it than any wardrobe from the imaginarium of CS Lewis.

Over the years, it has expanded upwards into the attic. Hopefully some of them will go to the grave with me so that I'll have something to do when I'm dead.

• Funny 1

....with regard to Q6 I suspect it's viability cost wise for both vendor & purchaser will come down to whether all the components required are etched on a single or maybe two sheets. You could help out here Horse by checking your kit and reporting back.....

If I get into the attic at the weekend, I'll bring the box out. I should have done this when I retrieved the K1 kit a couple of weekends ago.....

UPDATE:

For those wondering if a Bradwell Q6 chassis is a realistic possibility for upgrading the forthcoming Hornby model, here's a photo of some of what you get in a Q6 kit.

post-6879-0-95090700-1457220153_thumb.jpg

Yes, the nickel silver fret (top) is 100% chassis related.

But there are other chassis parts, including springs, spring mounts, brake blocks, etc. which are to be found on one of the brass body etches (bottom)...and you need these to complete the chassis!

In conclusion, I don't think Dave will want to fiddle with his CAD files to offer a chassis-only pack; he'd rather you bought his all-singing, all-dancing full kit instead.

Horse, the modifications to the CAD drawing is probably only 8hrs work as it is mostly deleting items, then moving them around to minimise brass usage. Is this economic? I have no idea. Depends on Dave's spare time and his expected sales. If it was me I would as this produces more sales and only a minor increase in effort. Would I buy it if I had more Q6's to get running in P4 more than likely. Though I did love building the kit. It was a very enjoyable 160 odd hours. Would I build more full kits... Yes. (Then again I am working on a second j26 and have been for about 4 years!)

Horse, the modifications to the CAD drawing is probably only 8hrs work as it is mostly deleting items, then moving them around to minimise brass usage. Is this economic? I have no idea. Depends on Dave's spare time and his expected sales. If it was me I would as this produces more sales and only a minor increase in effort. ....

If that were so, he would have done something similar for the WD. He hasn't, so I think that indicates what he thinks....

Makes his J27 look simple !!   

Actually I found the Q6 easier than the J26/27 as there are less options and the tolerances on the brass and nickel silver etching were better. The instructions are great too not to the level of Martin Finney with covering the full build. but I have noticed building the J26/ Q6 and the MF Group standard tender that all the designers seem to get some what bored toward the end of the instructions with "look at prototype photos as there are variations... I have provided all the bits!) I have no problems with this now after a few kits but in the beginning I had no idea of the names of the bits vs what they looked like! EG sand box operating lever vs a Brake pull rod.... can look very similar! 

Have a look at http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1030 This is my build of the beast. I really need to put up some final photos... I can't believe that it is 3 years ago I last posted on the Q6 thread. 

Actually I found the Q6 easier than the J26/27 as there are less options and the tolerances on the brass and nickel silver etching were better. The instructions are great too not to the level of Martin Finney with covering the full build. but I have noticed building the J26/ Q6 and the MF Group standard tender that all the designers seem to get some what bored toward the end of the instructions with "look at prototype photos as there are variations... I have provided all the bits!) I have no problems with this now after a few kits but in the beginning I had no idea of the names of the bits vs what they looked like! EG sand box operating lever vs a Brake pull rod.... can look very similar! 

Have a look at http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1030 This is my build of the beast. I really need to put up some final photos... I can't believe that it is 3 years ago I last posted on the Q6 thread. 

Has it been finished?

I agree re some of your comments, sorting the parts on the lost wax castings was "interesting" luckily he lists them on his castings lists on his web page as to what the parts are even then a couple of lucky guesses had to be made !.

Yes it is except for the brake gear on the loco. It is one thing that I can make work too well! So yes it is running. Still have cab glazing and painting the cab back head.post-3192-0-81094800-1457344650_thumb.jpeg

I'm very happy with they way it turned out. I have been playing with weathering over the last week or so so I may get the air brush out and complete the wheels. Another little thing is to install some boiler bands. I'm not sure about this either Sellotape or some copper tape. Not sure which. The satin paint is tamiya spray pack.

• Like 8

Gents,

I think if you wish to discuss the merits of *other manufacturers* (thanks Ivan), it may be better moved to your own thread, and leave this to the few disciples that really hope Hornby weather this current storm and are in a position to sell us mere box-buying mortals the chance of a r-t-r Q6 and a B12 this year?

Sorry if this offends, but discussions on a fully-etched alternative would appear a little irrelevant...? *sighs*

From Oz,

TTFN.

Peter C.

Its all about the Q6 so fine by me, doesn't get a lot of coverage elsewhere on here.

Boiler bands , I would have fitted before painting a lot easier then. I use Scotch Tape easiest I have found and adjustable/removable if needed.

p.s Yes, I will be buying a couple, when they hopefully come out !

Edited by micklner

Its all about the Q6 so fine by me, doesn't get a lot of coverage elsewhere on here.

Agreed.

I don't think (in this thread) there has been much discussion about the merits or otherwise of other manufactures Q6 products. The deviation, if it can be called that, is about alternative/different solutions for those that would wish to improve, whether those improvement are cosmetic, mechanical or otherwise, the Hornby Q6 when/if it arrives.

P

Having now seen Horses photographs of the Bradwell Q6 etches and following a long conversation with a mate who is about to embark on building a Braddy Q6; it struck me that if you have a Bradwell Q6 kit that you are building to P4 or EM you are well on your way to having another chassis that would fit under a Hornby Model.

I didn't realise the kit come with two sets of mainframes. I would think it would be quite easy to fit a set of High Level Horn blocks and make up a set of P4 or EM spacers for the spare mainframes. You could even buy the spacers from the EM Gauge society if you couldn't be bothered to make up your own. #

The motion: 52F supplies the motion for their chassis kit on a separate etch so the proprietor may supply this as a separate item if you ask nicely.

post-508-0-89658300-1457361683.jpg

So that just leaves you with the brake gear to make up. Mainly Trains could probably help out in this department.

P

(Just thinking out loud).

• Like 1

I'm sorry if people think that this has gone off topic, my comment on the big ends was a personal thought only. The idea of improving the Hornby offering when it turns up is valid I believe otherwise it will go very very quiet until the Hornby versions hit the shops. 

Knowing a number of people will be interested in the possibility of "personalisation" of their model is valid and why should this be limited too weathering? Each to their own. 

Any how we will all enjoy the offering when it drops through the Post! 

I dont think its venturing too far off the Topic. One of the things about the Q6 is that is has been possible to get a kit of the class. Its one area where RTR can be compared against such ventures, as well as list the reasons why such an RTR model is needed if demand for the prototype is so strong.

You could say this for many engines, the Q6, the S&DJR 7F, and even various tank engines. However, its interesting to see what others have done and made before, and how the new Hornby engine will compare with its predessessors / alternatives.

The number of kits available and the best out comes is really another topic and no doubt other than Dave's kit they all look very good but I suspect that the Hornby version will eclipse most builds. On a cost basis the new kits will all be worth a heap more unbuilt once wheels, motors, gearboxes are added up. 

I'm aware of Chivers (availability unknown) , NuCast, Dave Bradwell, 52F (chassis only), Dave Alexander, produce kits. No doubt there may be a flood or minor wave on to a well known auction site of built and unbuilt items once the Hornby finally hit. I would love to know the statistics on the number of Kits sold and built.... along with how many unbuilt change hands from one maturing cupboard to the next. This really is off topic   :offtopic: