Q6

NHY 581

I wander how many of these wonderful machines Hornby have produced I'm presuming the first batch will sell pretty quickly

Yes, also interesting that they decided to fly the Early BR and LNER ones, but not the Late BR. You would have thought it would be better for them to bring as many pre-ordered ones over as quickly as possible, so probably equally distributed between all three liveries, rather than bring stuff at extra expense only to sit around!

Yes, also interesting that they decided to fly the Early BR and LNER ones, but not the Late BR. You would have thought it would be better for them to bring as many pre-ordered ones over as quickly as possible, so probably equally distributed between all three liveries, rather than bring stuff at extra expense only to sit around!

Maybe the Late Crest are still being made?

• RMweb Gold

Rob - The K1 and J15 still have a 3 pole motor fitted as standard. In respect of the Q6, this definitely has a 5 pole lump in it. Nice model though, pity I can't find an excuse to buy one even though I'm looking for one !

Do you really need an excuse..?

• RMweb Gold

This one should sell itself. The business of the crest is entirely arbitrary in any case.Again it demonstrates what the Hornby design team can achieve.Those of you with long memories think back to where we were a mere 20 years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Holy schmoly....don't tell me that!  It's too near Oswestry...  xD

TA troop train from the North East for RA barracks Tonfanau? Q6 substituted for failed B16 at Darlington.Forward from Oswestry with Dean Goods piloted by 63XX.Simple....?

• RMweb Gold

They didn't have any train brakes in mainline service.

For some reason the preserved one isn't suitable for running to Whitby,would this be because they were never fitted in BR service?

They didn't have any train brakes in mainline service.

For some reason the preserved one isn't suitable for running to Whitby,would this be because they were never fitted in BR service?

No. 63395 would have difficulty getting into Whitby because of the curvature of the line on the section into Whitby. Theres some that think it might make it in, but still needs TPWS if they were to be right. So it stays between Grosmont and Goathland, but then thats where its haulage power is really needed anyway. 

Q6s worked to Whitby in BR days and the curves between Grosmont and Sleights were tighter back then so I don't think that is the reason

Its the curves under Larpool viaduct that's the reason. Its certainly banning 4 wheel tenders. I think the 4 coupled wheels of the Q6 are too much for the curves too. 

• RMweb Gold

Well in BR days they certainly went down there, there is photographic evidence and I've spoken to many a old hand who has said Q6s were used on the Whitby pick up

Guest Q663368

Well in BR days they certainly went down there, there is photographic evidence and I've spoken to many a old hand who has said Q6s were used on the Whitby pick up

I have numerous pic's of Q6's on the Whitby pick up. 63393 and 63380 are two which come to mind. They were used on the Esk Valley route. I also think 63368 got as far as Hinderwell on one of the demolition trains if memory serves me correctly. Source for this one was a Ken Hoole book. Same series as the Robin Lidster books on the Coast Route. Other locations are Grosmont, Glaisdale and Castleton.

The Black Hat is right about the (absence of) TPWS. As for the curves, yes, Q6s definitely ran into Whitby; I've seen photos of a couple of them on the pickup goods services, but I do think that they might well have squealed round a few of the curves!

That overhang in front always makes me wonder if the NER ever had any plans to develop the T2 into a 2-8-0.

Since they went on to a three cylinder 0-8-0 T3/Q7 it suggests not. The policy that developed under the last two NER CME's was total adhesion for their immense slow speed short haul coal and other mineral traffic, and 4-6-0 for faster freight. The final 4-6-0 was the direct equivalent to the three cylinder 0-8-0, and a very successful machine which would doubtless have been greatly multiplied by the LNER had Raven or Stamer obtained the CME's post. As it was the LNER built the last of these to enter traffic while locomotive policy was being devised. (And it is only a very suitable subject for Hornby to venture, should the Q6 do the business for them.)

Since they went on to a three cylinder 0-8-0 T3/Q7 it suggests not. The policy that developed under the last two NER CME's was total adhesion for their immense slow speed short haul coal and other mineral traffic, and 4-6-0 for faster freight. The final 4-6-0 was the direct equivalent to the three cylinder 0-8-0, and a very successful machine which would doubtless have been greatly multiplied by the LNER had Raven or Stamer obtained the CME's post. As it was the LNER built the last of these to enter traffic while locomotive policy was being devised. (And it is only a very suitable subject for Hornby to venture, should the Q6 do the business for them.)

That would be right - a B16, just as I've finished getting the bits together to build my DJH kit... :banghead:

• RMweb Gold

That would be right - a B16, just as I've finished getting the bits together to build my DJH kit... :banghead:

Thanks Mark.  Now if you could just hurry up and finish it that should result in a RTR model for the rest of us.  :jester:

Thanks Mark.  Now if you could just hurry up and finish it that should result in a RTR model for the rest of us.  :jester:

I jest not - Bachmann did it to me before with a 4MT 2-6-0 - mine was a Dapol kit with a Flexichas Perseverence chassis. Got sick of fielding the inevitable question "Ooh, is that the new...?"

:nono: