Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

I just had a look at the sound version of this loco on Youtube posted by Daniel Hillebrandt and it looks and sounds fantastic. He applies power to make the engine move off and then reduces it to let it "coast".  Very realistic.

Dave

I just had a look at the sound version of this loco on Youtube posted by Daniel Hillebrandt and it looks and sounds fantastic. He applies power to make the engine move off and then reduces it to let it "coast".  Very realistic.

Dave

Any chance of a link to this please.

Dave

Dave,

It's the sound project which automatically applies high power to lift the train initially, then reduce 'power' to maintain speed. A further speed step increase would also automatically increase the engine power before spooling back to lower power again.

This enables anyone to achieve realistic sounding operations.

The engine sound played relates to the power which would be needed rather than road speed. (Which is just how it is with a real Diesel-Electric loco).

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Chris

As someone who used to run a business and clearly still involved at a reasonably senior level, you should know enough about business to be aware that economies of scale are not always a simple matter; sometimes there are economies, sometimes there aren't and sometimes there are negative costs.

For example. I want to publish a model railway magazine. I know that with the help of two people I can put together a copy in X days with Y hours per day at Z costs. I don't need a receptionist, company car and every colour of post it note ever made. I could run my office far, far cheaper than you could.

But now I come to print. I do not have a track record with a printing company and cannot commit to one run per month for X months as I need to make enough from issue 1 to pay for issue 2. I cannot get payment terms as I'm a new, un-tried, customer. I am also likely to run less copies than your established (and very good) magazine, so my cost per item will be higher.

In that couple of paragraphs I have proven economies of scale DO NOT WORK and ALSO THAT THEY DO WORK.

SLW is a unique business and will have unique costs and business methodology. I think it is un-wise to try and second guess any company and its inner workings without bona fide facts at one's disposal. (you could of course get this from Companies House in 2 years or so, assuming this is a ltd company and not a sole trader.

Why are you having a pop at Chris? It wasn't him making baseless accusations against other manufacturers overcharging or being "pig ignorant", or making seriously uniformed statements about economies of scale.

He pointed out quite reasonably that small two man bands have limited overheads compared to larger companies, as indeed RE have confirmed themselves. And no doubt also based on his experience of observing new businesses on this sector. I've started several businesses from my garage with almost zero overheads and used that advantage in my pricing. I think you may well find Chris knows far more about RE's setup than he is letting on, as it is clearly confidential.

And capitals, really?

Why are you having a pop at Chris? It wasn't him making baseless accusations against other manufacturers overcharging or being "pig ignorant", or making seriously uniformed statements about economies of scale.

He pointed out quite reasonably that small two man bands have limited overheads compared to larger companies, as indeed RE have confirmed themselves. And no doubt also based on his experience of observing new businesses on this sector. I've started several businesses from my garage with almost zero overheads and used that advantage in my pricing. I think you may well find Chris knows far more about RE's setup than he is letting on, as it is clearly confidential.

And capitals, really?

I think you have read this completely wrongly. He was trying to demonstrate that both opinions have a case, as a form of mediation I would guess. Whereas you only seem to be coming from one end.

I have been involved (as a part-owner) in start-ups on new kit (but in the energy industry), where we tried to compete on price, but it actually doesn't work, as the big boys soon shoved us out of the way. Whatever RE's set-up and Chris' insider knowledge and general conviction, the answer that "I know what I know" does not exactly counter the economic basics argued in the point I made. But "Father knows best", seems to work on here quite a lot, without requiring any explanation whatsoever. Whilst i do not challenge the need for Bach-by-pol to make a profit whatsoever, I do suggest they have some innovation to do to match this at relatively equitable pricing. Dapol have gone the new black, at a price level that many seem to accept, and that is encouraging. Sales will tell, and that will be the driver.

• Like 1

Tony/rugged peak

I don't think I need to add anything else to the comments from Mike, which are- as I have come to expect from him- wise and measured and indeed quite correct.

I would, however, note that my use of capitals was very limited and used to illustrate that my own statement contained two diametrically opposed potential viewpoints- neither of which can be classed as exclusively correct nor exclusively incorrect.

It is unfortunate that even though your attention was drawn to the salient point that rather than try to understand it you opted to immediately post what you did.

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Gold

I have looked carefully on their new website....fine...but it would be helpful to me and many others if a kind owner of D 5000 could possibly post some images here. Torr Giffard's images are excellent...and thanks Dave for that but some front/rear,side and 3/4 images would help decision making. The problem is that these fine models are "sold as seen" online. I had an invitation to the launch but it clashed with the Warley weekend. They are not on view and on display generally which would help decision making. Thanks.

I have looked carefully on their new website....fine...but it would be helpful to me and many others if a kind owner of D 5000 could possibly post some images here. Torr Giffard's images are excellent...and thanks Dave for that but some front/rear,side and 3/4 images would help decision making. The problem is that these fine models are "sold as seen" online. I had an invitation to the launch but it clashed with the Warley weekend. They are not on view and on display generally which would help decision making. Thanks.

Hello Ian,

In answer to your plea, here are some photos of my D5000. Very nice it is with some lovely detailing. Although not my era, just had to have one. Judge for yourself.

post-7146-0-10232200-1449493647_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-94234200-1449493656_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-24142100-1449493683_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-40650700-1449493781_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-10216900-1449493799_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-36800300-1449493808_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-41115600-1449493816_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-85225700-1449493827_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-93198200-1449493835_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the photos do the model justice. Any imperfections are most probably the result of my photography rather than the model.

Paul j.

• Like 11

I want one...I really want one..!!!! But I just cannot decide :( BR Blue or BR Green? DC or DCC Sound (bearing in mind I have no DCC controller nor do I have the funds for a nice one. I can just about manage to buy the lowest priced ones from Hornby or Gaugemaster)?

I can't make up my mind either! I'm a BR Blue man but D5000 looks so nice! I change my mind hourly :) I think i'm edging towards D5000! with sound. I could get both without sound but after watching Daniels youtube video i want sound! But so close to christmas I can't get both if i got a sound one! Oh well i'm sure i'll decide on the day :)

Is this the appropriate time to open up a paint finish debate ?

(ducks for cover)

I bought Locomotion's D8000 and it looks mint in gloss paint. So much so I bought the gloss version of Heljan's baby deltic on the back of it.

Do people consider D5000 would look better in proper ex-works gloss or the intended eggshell ?

I now slightly regret buying the Invicta Bachmann D5000, even though it was reduced. Hindsight... :scratchhead:

(ducks for cover)

I bought Locomotion's D8000 and it looks mint in gloss paint. So much so I bought the gloss version of Heljan's baby deltic on the back of it.

Do people consider D5000 would look better in proper ex-works gloss or the intended eggshell ?

I now slightly regret buying the Invicta Bachmann D5000, even though it was reduced. Hindsight... :scratchhead:

To me, a gloss finish just looks totally wrong on models in this scale. Perhaps if something is destined to spend its life in a display case but, on a layout, I think that you need to be larger than O Gauge before a gloss finish looks anything but odd. I also feel the same about black and white. They may be the colour of the real thing when new but don't stay that way for long. Most things are a shade of grey or brown. Just look at the colour of a car tyre. I never paint anything on a model black or white.......or gloss!

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

(ducks for cover)

I used to hate gloss on 4mm stuff but I did see D8000 and thought it looked better in gloss but only as a display model. I still prefer a matt finish for a "working" loco

(ducks for cover)

Gloss??....a thousand times no.

Dave

One thing about gloss; it looks like metal. A dead finish looks like plastic. As with many things, it depends. The NRM "King George V" looks quite magnificent - a real head turner. Other gloss finishes are not quite so successful. Looking at some finishes which please me, they aren't gloss but they do have an intensity and depth of colour.

I had a bit of a eureka moment some time ago. Dapol's green Western arrived and, whilst it had many stunning features, its finish was uninspiring enough to put me off getting a maroon one. Not long afterwards, I got a Bachmann Midland Compound in unlined black. I didn't expect to be wowed but I was. The Compound has a sheen to it but I think what produced the reaction was the depth and intensity of the black. I found that Dapol's green 22 was acceptable (perhaps the amount of green was  less than the Western's) but the blue 22 was horrible.

The blue 22 might very well be a reasonable reproduction of a worn and faded finish but I just don't like it. I realise that this is very personal and subjective but at least Holmesfeldian will know he isn't alone.

• Like 1

Gloss/satin/matt

This is part of the "colour scaling" issue, is it not?

I made the mistake of painting a Swallow HST with a high gloss finish- as that's what I saw on the blocks at Kings Cross. But looked cheap and nasty in model. A slight tone down with satin over the gloss- glossier than satin, duller than gloss worked much better.

(that is a general observation and not specifically about the 24 or its grills)

Gloss/satin/matt

This is part of the "colour scaling" issue, is it not?

I made the mistake of painting a Swallow HST with a high gloss finish- as that's what I saw on the blocks at Kings Cross. But looked cheap and nasty in model. A slight tone down with satin over the gloss- glossier than satin, duller than gloss worked much better.

(that is a general observation and not specifically about the 24 or its grills)

I would not altogether disagree.