RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got round to buying a SLW 24 and am very pleased with it. Here it is alongside a Bachmann one:

40457399431_96a6c849e6_b.jpgP1080218am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Although the SLW model clearly has a lot of plus points over the Bachmann one, the colour of Green and the glazing on the Bachmann model look better to me; the SLW glazing looks a bit more ..prismatic?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I finally got round to buying a SLW 24 and am very pleased with it. Here it is alongside a Bachmann one:

Ah, I see the difference clearly: one shows a class A train, the other a class D.

So that’s what all the fuss was about...

[in truth, I thought the Bachmann model looked wrong from day 1.)

Vote H. I don't know how many times I have to tell you.

It was reported somewhere that the number of votes required for G and H were higher than for A-F because of the extra work required for the revised body shape.  If this is indeed true, then I suspect that G and H are inextricably linked, production of one would almost certainly make production of the other a no-brainer because the cost of producing the second would immediately drop due to this work having been already done for the first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really good comparison shot so clearly showing what a complete mess Bachmann made of the cab front let alone the roof details. What I can't work out, looking at available scale drawings, is how they managed it. Still, the Sutton 24 wouldn't probably have existed if they had done a decent job.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Really good comparison shot so clearly showing what a complete mess Bachmann made of the cab front let alone the roof details. What I can't work out, looking at available scale drawings, is how they managed it. Still, the Sutton 24 wouldn't probably have existed if they had done a decent job.

What I can’t work out, is how so many modellers came to tolerate it.

Can someone post a from above photo of the two manufacturers models side by side. It will show the fault in the Bachmann version. If you look at the photo of the two from the front you can see the cab roof and the arc is to the correct height in the middle and the ends, but the cab being too wide (look at the outsides of the cab windows) makes the arc of the cab roof the wrong shape. Even Hornby managed to get this right how many years ago?

Well......no comparison really....is there......I see the 21/20 EPs are up on the Dapol site can they be as good as SWL...glad i got the my order in for the Research 24 and it'll cost less the the Modelzone version on E-bay

B

What it shows me is that the Bachmann cab DOES taper in - perhaps not as much as the SWL version, but it tapers none-the-less.

(Lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe(?) distance). :bomb_mini:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The Bachmann 24 was and still is a good model but there is always room for improvement which SWL have done in a big way. Dare I say some people even love the Hornby 25 and still use it as a base. We shouldn't shot Bachmann down but be thankful of what they have given us just as much as what SLW has done. One day we all may drool over a 24 that comes with lights, sound, opening doors, exhaust, auto coupling/decoupling, headcodes that change and even take itself out of it's box but until then lets be thankful for what we have now. ( now that's how to light the blue touch paper lol )

How about SLW doing the best type 2, the class 31 next? After all, they are still going even now on the national network, long after all the rats have gone.

There are none on the national network and there not a sulzer.

No, that's not how to light the blue touch paper.

How about SLW doing the best type 2, the class 31 next? After all, they are still going even now on the national network, long after all the rats have gone.

A keystone of SLW is to provide  museum quality traction for the P4  layout Mostyn representing the North Wales coast in BR blue era,   the conclusion may be the 25 as the next development,  Bachmann have possibly arrived at the same conclusion ,the recent announcement of a newly tooled class 25

Edited by Pandora

What I can’t work out, is how so many modellers came to tolerate it.

That's easy: it had a very quiet, smooth and powerful mechanism, way ahead of the Hornby class 25, which was the only alternative at the time. The appearance was off at the ends, but overall it still looked like a class 24 or 25. The price used to be very reasonable too, and many were available as bargains with sound fitted. I'm talking the price of a sound decoder with a £10 locomotive thrown in ... that's how I came to own several of both classes from Bachmann.

Edited by SRman

That's easy: it had a very quiet, smooth and powerful mechanism, way ahead of the Hornby class 25, which was the only alternative at the time. The appearance was off at the ends, but overall it still looked like a class 24 or 25. The price used to be very reasonable too, and many were available as bargains with sound fitted. I'm talking the price of a sound decoder with a £10 locomotive thrown in ... that's how I came to own several of both classes from Bachmann.

Exactly, I remember buying a pair for £70, putting them on the track and thinking how well they ran. As "layout" locos they were a very welcome addition. Now we know a bit better, and expect a bit more accuracy.

John.

• Like 1

Could I suggest it would be helpful to adjust underexposed photos, especially if linking to Private 3rd party sites before posting. I couldn't see the differences fully until I did this myself.

post-26975-0-35094600-1520242986_thumb.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains