Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

I don't think so, going by Bachmann's track record we will have a SLW 25 before Bachmann!

LOL very true.......very disappointed with the merge offers that Bachmann have unveiled for BR blue fans.....Why they didn't produce more BR Blue class 40 with split head codes is beyond me as it sold out so fast. 

and I know where my hard earned will be going...

I agree, the Bachmann one will be much better!  :yes:

Please dont take this seriously, the SLW 25 is exquisite and is where my money will be going.

• RMweb Premium

Has Phil Sutton actually announced a 25? I mean really announced a 25 as opposed to smiling wanly whilst crying inwardly when asked for the millionth time if he's going to produce one when he was on the stand at Warley?

Remember he didn't annoucne the 24 until it was actually available.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Why?

SLW’s model will still be better, and will still sell to those who care about prototype fidelity.

Bachmann, with the pressures imposed by mass production, will never achieve the same level of finesse as batch production to a higher spec and higher price. That’s not a problem for either manufacturer.

When you look at just how good is the SLW model, the price is incredibly low, and represents excellent value for money. For those with less money, a revised Bachmann model with at least the correct shaped cab (we should be so lucky!) would do well enough.

Has Phil Sutton actually announced a 25? I mean really announced a 25 as opposed to smiling wanly whilst crying inwardly when asked for the millionth time if he's going to produce one when he was on the stand at Warley?

Do you own an SLW 24 ?  - if so, all the clues are already present, the chassis block/circuit board have both been designed from inception to allow for a Class 24/1 and 25 to be produced in the future......em and just how long ago did Bachmann announce a 24/1 ? 5 years ago ? and it's still not been produced, and now more than likely to be quietly dropped. Will the "re-tooled" Class 25 perhaps suffer the same fate...............................

• RMweb Premium

I would have though announcing a new 25 was actually Bachmanns response to 24 from SLW.

The next Bachmann offering will surely address the issues of the current model. If not, why would they be doing a new model? So it should be better . Yes I'm sure people will prefer an SLW one , but shouldn't he say he has plans to make one now  so that those who may go out and get the Bachmann one have a choice and know there's one coming from SLW . On the other hand if he has no intention making one and has moved onto another class folks would want to know

Do you own an SLW 24 ?  - if so, all the clues are already present, the chassis block/circuit board have both been designed from inception to allow for a Class 24/1 and 25 to be produced in the future......em and just how long ago did Bachmann announce a 24/1 ? 5 years ago ? and it's still not been produced, and now more than likely to be quietly dropped. Will the "re-tooled" Class 25 perhaps suffer the same fate...............................

It doesn't look like Bachmann's 24/1 is being 'quietly dropped', according to Andy Y's update yesterday, it is now in the tool room, so has advanced since last year, and once the metal is cut I don't think they're going to back out!

It doesn't look like Bachmann's 24/1 is being 'quietly dropped', according to Andy Y's update yesterday, it is now in the tool room, so has advanced since last year, and once the metal is cut I don't think they're going to back out!

Bachmann has remained remarkably quiet on the 24/1 front since its announcement way back, and the timing of the 25 revamp is, shall we say, "interesting" given the musings over what SLW may or may not do. Andy's post also says the Bachmann 25 will be based off their new 24/1 which certainly indicates they are progressing with it (and as said it is now reported to be in the tool room).

I think the concern I would have is, is the market big enough for duplicate "premium" 24/1 and 25 variants? There are loyalties to both parties of course. If Bachmann were intending a more budget friendly version surely they would just re-release their existing models? I suspect a new all singing, all dancing version will have an RRP pretty similar to the SLW 24, so really it comes down to "time to market", loyalties and how good, or otherwise, a job they do of it. I did note another of Andy's posts mentioned Bachmann have learned from past mistakes and will in future announce things only when much nearer production?

My personal interest (as the only loco I would be likely to buy at the current time) is the SLW 24/1 as the version proposed suits my 1970 Scottish timeframe, which the Bachmann proposal with its significant detail differences does not.

Interesting times. If I'm honest though, regardless of the why's and wherefor's, I think the timing of Bachmann's announcement isn't great.

• RMweb Premium

Since Bachmann's announcement, the present one and previous, I imagine the SWL C25 subject is a tightly guarded business secret right now!

I suspect they have made a few decisions recently regarding these models that we are not party too.

It's a good tactic and keeps your competitor guessing.

Since Bachmann's announcement, the present one and previous, I imagine the SWL C25 subject is a tightly guarded business secret right now!

I suspect they have made a few decisions recently regarding these models that we are not party too.

It's a good tactic and keeps your competitor guessing.

I hope so.... I genuinely like these models and all things being equal, i’ll Always give my business to the smaller player... for an individual to bring a model (or two hopefully) to market and to take the huge financial risk, then the best I can do is support the venture...

Hopefully, they have been working away in the background for a 25.....

Sorry to move off this very interesting discussion, but can anyone recommend a PluX22 decoder to fit to my new class 24. I have been looking, but can so far find very little information about the use of these in British outline locos. My go-to manufacturer Lenz doesn't seem to do one, so I was hoping someone else might be able to recommend.

Sorry to move off this very interesting discussion, but can anyone recommend a PluX22 decoder to fit to my new class 24. I have been looking, but can so far find very little information about the use of these in British outline locos. My go-to manufacturer Lenz doesn't seem to do one, so I was hoping someone else might be able to recommend.

Here is one non sound decoder

http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/roco/plux-22-pin-decoder

ZIMO  - available from SLW   / Digitrains and others............

http://sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=home

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search.aspx?loc=1&q=&c=107&m=10&pg=3&s=ProductNameAsc&ppp=10

ESU Lokpilot/Loksound

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/

http://www.southwestdigital.co.uk/

Edited by tractor_37260

I would have thought if it’s coming he really needs to announce it now.

As per the 24 - it would be "announced" once it was available to purchase, instead of this nonsense of announcing models that may take "years" to actually get produced......................!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I don't have any great allegiance to one brand or another.  If we do end up with two manufacturers producing Class 25s, I will buy the one that gives me the best value for money i.e. most accuracy at an affordable price.

Time will tell, but no doubt this thread debate will continue on the basis of "what might be" ;-)

• RMweb Gold

SLW will get my Class 25 orders as / when it appears - even if it costs slightly more. The Class 24 (I have three) is superb and I doubt a Bachmann offering would beat something SLW offer. I like the way SLW have operated and look forward to more offerings over the next few years. A really high-spec Class 40 would be nice after some 25s :)

Roy

• Like 1

SLW will get my Class 25 orders as / when it appears - even if it costs slightly more. The Class 24 (I have three) is superb and I doubt a Bachmann offering would beat something SLW offer. I like the way SLW have operated and look forward to more offerings over the next few years. A really high-spec Class 40 would be nice after some 25s :)

Roy

Never mind a 40, a sealed flush front class 45 would get my vote

• Like 2

I agree Roy, "You can't beat Quality & Great customer service"

A super detailed class 40 would also be a welcome addition to their range.

Roy