Dapol at Warley

Revolution Mike B

Just thought I'd sing the praise of the guys on the Dapol stand at Warley last weekend. Not only did they bring a lot of stuff with them, they were knocking out some really good deals and their friendliness did their customer relations no end of good.

Well done Dapol!

Never got a chance to be at Warley...But all my communication with Dapol has been top notch! Really friendly folk...

Interesting to see that when Dapol sell products cheaply as deals it is "well done Dapol", BUT when Hornby does the same there is a whole thread slagging them off.............just an observation.

Perhaps if Dapol start shafting their retailers in the same way that Hornby consistently do, then they'll get the same criticism. Selling some cheap stuff at a model railway event is not the same as having a website that consistently undercuts the prices that Hornby retailers can (profitably) sell their products at.

• RMweb Gold

Speaking as a former retailer who used to do shows, I would be as hacked off with Dapol doing this as I would be with Hornby. Destroying your retail network is no way to carry on business in the long term. If they have surplus stock, they should do some special offers through the retailers.

Maybe Dapol were just in need of some quick cash returns to maintain their financial liquidity, which they probably wouldnt achieve through their dealer network. From a punters point of view , great to see and take advantage of . After all said and done its their business and future.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Dapol were just in need of some quick cash returns to maintain their financial liquidity, which they probably wouldnt achieve through their dealer network. From a punters point of view , great to see and take advantage of . After all said and done its their business and future.

Will you, and other "punters", be quite so pleased if more retailers disappear and the manufacturers, with no regular outlet for their products, follow soon afterwards?

If, as you speculate, Dapol were after quick cash, they could always do a promotion to retailers which involved cash payment up-front rather than delayed payment terms.

• RMweb Gold

Guys why does it matter if they sell off models cheap ? Are you retailers ? Sorry but it's about looking after number 1 and if that means a cheap deal at a show - embrace it and be grateful !!!

Cmon guys - happy times surely ????

Ben

I looked at the price of a new "Mallard", saw it was £135 and decided not to bother.  Hattons have them at £119.50, so that price is hardly "shafting the dealers".

Similarly I looked at what Dapol had on their stand at TINGs and bought a "Bittern" from David Cooper's "Plus Daughters" stand- he had the one I wanted which was sold out at Dapol.

There WERE some low prices, but only on stuff where the dealers have had their orders a long time ago and not come back for seconds.  On these items what is the alternative?  Ship boxes of £100 locos out for Hattons to sell off at £50 or put them out at a show and try to get £80?  I know which way Dapol's bank manager would vote.....

There  were also some NQPs on the stand, returned locos sold as is. These were cheap but were unsold from the open day. 

Les

• RMweb Gold

I hardly think that Dapol selling stuff off cheap at Warley is going to 'kill off' traders. Most of it was left over stock and if you looked around the show, traders were STILL under cutting Dapol. I think the point I was trying to make in my original post is that they turned up, offered some good 'one off' show specials and actually engaged the customer! And I say this off the back of having to return a Dapol FGW HST pack to Hattons because it was faulty!

I looked at the price of a new "Mallard", saw it was £135 and decided not to bother.  Hattons have them at £119.50, so that price is hardly "shafting the dealers".

I get the impression they haven't produced many of these - I got mine for £105 from Hattons, and the next day the price had risen to £119.50, presumably as demand was soaking up the few they had (and Hattons seem to automatically raise the prices in this way).

Cheers,

Alan

I get the impression they haven't produced many of these - I got mine for £105 from Hattons, and the next day the price had risen to £119.50, presumably as demand was soaking up the few they had (and Hattons seem to automatically raise the prices in this way).

Cheers,

Alan

Better put Hattons to the sword as well !! :jester: shame on them on making a profit.

I think the word is called business , why do some people have to get in such a state over prices, if you don't like it don't buy !

The days of model shops are rapidly coming to a close , sad but true. I would have to go miles and I live in NE London just to get  a tin of paint, why bother. The arrival of the internet was always going to be their and many others shops demise.

• RMweb Premium

It's not new either, Dapol have been doing great deals and undercutting dealers at major exhibitions for at least the last 3-4 years. They do it on their website too - £50 n gauge 86s at the moment.

But as said, it's on limited stock and rarely the newest models.

I was actually disappointed with Dapol this year, didn't have any IOAs, JNAs or Silver Bullets by Sunday (if at all).

They have done at Warley and Ally Pally for the last few years so I rather doubt that was for a quick cash fix more than likely they can`t shift through their normal retail outlets

Archived