Favorite signal on the network, whats yours?

big jim

I'll put in a word for a colour light, D6 at Strood, when I used to go spotting there, if only for the sense of anticipation when it came "off" without the feather. Then you could expect something interesting, or at least not another 4-EPB.

In 1985:

post-6971-0-74776500-1449318068.jpg

Hi all,

A few signals (as opposed to signal boxes) are listed structures:

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-1412069-settle-station-signal-box-and-adjacent-#.VmLW2KQnymQ

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-237946-signal-box-and-signal-at-norham-station-#.VmLXk6QnymQ

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-447789-signal-gantry-adjacent-to-falsgrave-sign#.VmLXu6QnymQ

Are any of the cast-concrete signal posts in the south London suburbs, which curved elegantly over two tracks (almost art deco style) and were installed for the Brighton electrification still in place?

In terms of long-vanished signals, the "spikey" Midland Railway LQ distant signals looked especially stylish. 

Thanks,

Bill

A couple of my favorites, that I have scanned, (plenty of others especially, around Salop that aren't)

First Shrub Hill 80. How it has survived is a miracle. Must be the last example of its type on the network.

post-7146-0-53809800-1449335370_thumb.jpg

Second an old photo taken in 1981 at Rock Ferry. Don't know if they are still there. Apart from New Street I didn't see any others configured this way.

post-7146-0-09630800-1449335461_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

A couple of my favorites, that I have scanned, (plenty of others especially, around Salop that aren't)

First Shrub Hill 80. How it has survived is a miracle. Must be the last example of its type on the network.

attachicon.gifShrub Hill 80.jpg

Second an old photo taken in 1981 at Rock Ferry. Don't know if they are still there. Apart from New Street I didn't see any others configured this way.

attachicon.gifRock Ferry.jpg

Paul J.

SH80 - I think there may be one or two still extant elsewhere, although I'm happy to be corrected. This particular signal has been SPADed several times unfortunately!

• RMweb Gold

The one on the left was replaced in May1985 with a 2-aspect (now 3) one mounted on the road bridge, the one on the right remains but with a (initially 2-aspect) 3-aspect vertical head.

I've cleared both of those whilst working Rock Ferry box, they went to yellow and then green if the starter (which is just visible in front of the distant Rock Lane overbridge) was cleared, the right hand signal has a wrong line shunt XDM (along down main)

post-6662-0-59553500-1449336894_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Plat 3 at wolverhampton used to have a horizontal signal 3/4 way along it in the up direction

There is also an upside down floor mounted signal in the 6ft protecting deansgate station from castlefield jn direction

• RMweb Gold

It is very nice but its predecessor (which alas I never saw as it went a very long time ago) was even nicer and fortunately I got a not very good quality photo of it some years back in an auction lot - seen here -  (the interesting bit is that whenever this was taken - almost certainly pre-WWII - it still carried a repeating arm for the junction splitting signal which is in advance of it), sorry about the poor quality.

attachicon.gifDroitwich Down Home0001c.jpg

Smashing shot Mike

Thought it was rather close to the junction signal! What designates the extra arm as a repeater I wonder?

Kind regards

Phil

One signal I would like to see is to the west of Gloucester Station on the Chepstow line. All that I can see from a footbridge crossing a road not the railway is Feathers both to the right and the Left above and below.....

Keith HC, Dursley

One signal I would like to see is to the west of Gloucester Station on the Chepstow line. All that I can see from a footbridge crossing a road not the railway is Feathers both to the right and the Left above and below.....

Keith HC, Dursley

You'd like the one on the up main, just north of Peterborough then. possible routes from there to platforms 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6-7 together, with P3 being straight ahead. But on the up slow it has a theatre indicator, possibly to do with approach speeds and sighting?

• RMweb Gold

Smashing shot Mike

Thought it was rather close to the junction signal! What designates the extra arm as a repeater I wonder?

Kind regards

Phil

The fact that it is repeating the situation at the junction signal the pother side of the bridge Phil.  It was at one time standard GWR practice (although quite what that 'standard' was is not entirely clear to be honest and I think the Company came to the same conclusion and duly did away with it).  At our local branch terminus for instance the Home Signal was a three doll bracket while the Inner Home had a route indicator (for the three routes).  The signals didn't work as repeaters as such in that the various arms were worked by individual levers but they required the road to be correctly set in advance of the next stop signal in advance in order to clear the relevant arm.

I rather like searchlights, so one of the Clacton searchlights has to be my favourite. I guess the 4-aspect must come top, but the three aspect with miniature yellow is a close second followed by the three platform starters with motorised call on discs.

• RMweb Premium

Struggling to find a decent photo (below not mine), but I've always liked the up starter at Queenstown Road, when I was about 6 I christened it the "bunny ear signal", no idea if it's still there! Under no illusions that it's unique, but the offset of the feathers is certainly unusual.

14475025319_09bab31fbc_m.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned previously most,  if not all, of my real favourites are long gone but here is a selection of some of them.

First a right medley  - the gallows (or underslung) signal is the well known one that once stood at the west end of Exeter Central, the colour light obviously betrays itself both by its arrangement of lens units and it s number and is of course at Mirfield, while finally on the right is Maidenhead West's Up Main Home Signal - still a fairly wonderful sight despite having by the time of its demise pressed steel arms (of the two different vintages)

post-6859-0-39185600-1449401985_thumb.jpg

But definitely trouncing all of those is the gorgeous GWR bracket with centre pivot arms that was Didcot West End's Down Relief Home Signal until supplanted by a quite attractive colour light 50 years ago this year.  Although not a marvellous piece of photography you can also make out the Down Relief Inner Home only a handful of coach length in advance of it, and the by then very ancient Up Relief Home over by the 'box.  The superb, 100% Edwardian, Up Main Home had been renewed in tubular steel form  about 18 months previously and I have. somewhere a photograph of it too - complete with its original timber 5ft arms.

post-6859-0-90230300-1449401975.jpg

Archived