Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

On Board Train Fires - Chiltern Railways - Marylebone line

• RMweb Premium

It seems to have been nothing too serious and with all the emergency procedures working as intended.

Was this sort of event not one of the reasons Chiltern kept one train going into Paddington?  To maintain route knowledge and allow a service to operate (subject to pathing / platforming) if Marylebone had to be closed?  That and to obviate the need for formal closure of Old Oak - Northolt.

I note that train is absent from the new timetables so has it finally been axed or just omitted?  

Edit : Found it!  NR all-line table 115 omits it.  Chiltern's own timetables show it. 1057 South Ruislip - Paddington and 1136 Paddington - West Ruislip Mondays - Fridays.

It was one of the newly refurbed mk3s in AL05, the part blue, part silver Banbury slam door set.

12094, air con unit, wiring and heater elements burnt out. First reports saying it started in the air con unit.

AL05 out this morning but as a 5.

Alistair

There was a bit on central news tonight. Missed the very start of it but I think Chilterns where aplogising for all the troubles and overcrowding they have had lately. Apart from anything they may be responsible for and congestion with the new Oxford service they do not seem to have had a lot of luck lately. The day after the Marylebone fire one of their trains hit someone just south of Leamington. A couple of weeks back there was an engineering over run between Banbury and Leamington on the Monday. Tuesday saw a loss of all signalling at Leamington, Wednesday was fairly uneventful and the Thursday saw a Central unit catch fire at Lapworth stopping the job once more. They say troubles come in threes!

There was a bit on central news tonight. Missed the very start of it but I think Chilterns where aplogising for all the troubles and overcrowding they have had lately. Apart from anything they may be responsible for and congestion with the new Oxford service they do not seem to have had a lot of luck lately. The day after the Marylebone fire one of their trains hit someone just south of Leamington. A couple of weeks back there was an engineering over run between Banbury and Leamington on the Monday. Tuesday saw a loss of all signalling at Leamington, Wednesday was fairly uneventful and the Thursday saw a Central unit catch fire at Lapworth stopping the job once more. They say troubles come in threes!

Sounds like an everyday tale of folk on Southern/ South East/ Thameslink....

There was a bit on central news tonight. Missed the very start of it but I think Chilterns where aplogising for all the troubles and overcrowding they have had lately. Apart from anything they may be responsible for and congestion with the new Oxford service they do not seem to have had a lot of luck lately.

They say troubles come in threes!

Points failure at Banbury, points failure at Bicester junction 3 times, 2 trains broken due to a tree, person hit at Gerards Cross those are just when I've been on shift.

How many groups of 3 are we allowed?

There has been a handful of days since the TT change where everything has worked well. It just happens that we have had so many outside problems since the change.

We have had a few 97%+ PPM days shows the TT will work, it is just the over crowing on some trains that is being looked after into.

We are on the right tracks just got to fine tune the details to be back up there.

Alistair

Push-pull 442's anyone?

Seems like Chiltern, along with other "new" lines are a victim of their own success, having recently read the press reports on the Borders Line re-opening and hitting a good percentage of its projected annual carrying in the first couple of months.

As for the incidents, well, hits (anagram) happens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bucks and MK Fire service have just tweeted the following:

Bucks and MK Fire @Bucksfire

Crews have been called to report of smoke coming from engine compartment of train near Saunderton.

and Chiltern Railways have also tweeted:

Chiltern Railways @chilternrailway

Due to an incident on a train between Saunderton and High Wycombe all lines are currently blocked.

• RMweb Gold

Now confirmed fire in the engine of the train, so I am assume a class 68 (again). Fire service have hose reel, dry powder extinguisher, breathing apparatus in use and the location the train stopped at was the A4010 Bradenham Road bridge. The A4010 is also reported as being closed to traffic due to this incident.

It seems to have been nothing too serious and with all the emergency procedures working as intended.

Was this sort of event not one of the reasons Chiltern kept one train going into Paddington?  To maintain route knowledge and allow a service to operate (subject to pathing / platforming) if Marylebone had to be closed?  That and to obviate the need for formal closure of Old Oak - Northolt.

I note that train is absent from the new timetables so has it finally been axed or just omitted?  

Edit : Found it!  NR all-line table 115 omits it.  Chiltern's own timetables show it. 1057 South Ruislip - Paddington and 1136 Paddington - West Ruislip Mondays - Fridays.

I believe so and I saw that train going  past the Central Line at the Hoover Building only yesterday There have been times when Marylebone has been closed and Chiltern have operated out of Paddington so yes they would need to maintain that route knowledge for their crews

Old Oak-Northolt does get used for other things,  there's quite a lot of freight traffic from the Greenford branch via Northolt as well as some via OOC and there are several ECS workings, mostly of FGW  GWR HSTs,  that use the line. Greenford East is a suprisingly busy signal box. .

• RMweb Gold

I believe so and I saw that train going  past the Central Line at the Hoover Building only yesterday There have been times when Marylebone has been closed and Chiltern have operated out of Paddington so yes they would need to maintain that route knowledge for their crews

Old Oak-Northolt does get used for other things,  there's quite a lot of freight traffic from the Greenford branch via Northolt as well as some via OOC and there are several ECS workings, mostly of FGW  GWR HSTs,  that use the line. Greenford East is a suprisingly busy signal box. .

'Going round Greenford' as it is (was?) known in the London area on the Western is an ideal way of turning trains and units such as HSTs and it could be a major nuisance if the facility is lost although it appears that Hitachi have planned to have a turntable in NPI so at the least driving vehicles could be turned.  In their early days the HEX sets were also regularly (about every 4-6 days) being turned via Greenford in order to try to even out the excessive tyre and flange wear they were suffering from.

• RMweb Premium

I guess there are lots of potential causes of an engine room fire in a locomotive. For all I wouldn't spend my own money on a Cat C175 engine (to do justice to my feelings would probably cause the swear filter to melt down) they're not such a new engine and don't have a reputation for bursting into flames regularly. Do railway engines have the equivalent of a SOLAS kit for the oil piping and exhaust gas screening (ie. double wall high pressure pipes, spray containment, hot surface screening)or do they just rely on fire detection and suppression? Fuel or lubricant piping? Electrical failure? Wiring? Either way it is a little disappointing start for the Class 68 really.

Archived