Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mr Grumpy’s Workbench: MOK 9F occasional updates

Mr Grumpy

I really cracked on today and got the main components of the chassis together. I seem to have accidentally deleted a couple of photos whilst transferring from iPhone to laptop.

Anyway, everything with the build ran smoothly. David advises to build on a dead flat surface, my workbench is a 50mm wooden work top cut off and is dead flat and solid.

I decided to install the vacuum pipe now rather than later in the build. The instructions state to use 1.2mm wire but it wouldn't fit the brackets or vaccum pipe brackets which are to be fitted to the buffer beams, soI ran the pipe in 1mm wire which fitted perfectly. I noticed two couplers on the real wagon's pipe.The tube that I had to fit over the wire to represent the couplers looked a tad large when fitted, so I went to the next size down and drilled it out to 1mm. I made a couple of brackets from scrap etch. Just noticed one is a little wonky, so I will attend to that tomorrow. (Thank heavens for solder :-)  )

I will leave the buffers and lamp brackets until the wagon can be worked on the right way up, otherwise they could be damaged.

post-19951-0-11678000-1455930073_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-54711200-1455930145_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-96995300-1455930181_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-66939300-1455930230_thumb.jpg

I will add the leaf spring hangers and makers plates etc next, then its on to the brake gear which is always fun!!

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 2

I would call that a successful days work. Very neat and looks superb to say the least.

A few more days like this one and you'll soon be done :)

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

I found with the tanker and the dogfish chassis, they are reasonably quick to get to this stage. What I love about MMP kits is the myriad of tiny parts that make up the brake linkage etc. On past experience things will now slow down!

Anyway, I got the builder's plates, coupling plates and ticket holders on, followed by the leaf spring hangers and tiny bump springs. Also I tinned the buffer area ready for the white metal buffer stocks.

post-19951-0-42558500-1456000265_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-73235100-1456000294_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-24433900-1456000322_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-28257500-1456000346_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-35671200-1456000373_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your interest guys!.....unfortunately I just missed out on the 08. David had kindly sent me the instructions to look over but I dithered and the last one went :-(

I do hope David brings out his revamped diesel range while I still have the ability to see the parts I'm supposed to solder !! :-)

When I built his oil tankers, I wore two pairs of glasses when cutting and fixing the minuscule parts at the top of the brake hangers!! (Not the brake shoes.....the other end !) I will post a couple of pics of the tankers later.

Hi

I also dithered over the class 13 and I'm not sure if they will return in the future.

Cheers

Paul

....The cava has worn off, unfortunately I can't do anything about the old age, but I managed to have a little playtime this morning.

This is what I mean about tiny parts. They sit in the nether regions of the inner chassis. When I build my next dogfish, I will probably solder them in before fixing the main chassis components in place. It wasn't difficult to do just a tad fiddly!

post-19951-0-31509300-1456057090_thumb.jpg

And here they are fitted. I don't know if they will be seen in normal use.....but we know they are there!  :imsohappy:

(Wire between brake shoes temporary to stop me bending the brake hangers.)

post-19951-0-90914500-1456057267_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They will all return - I just don't have a firm date yet.

DJP/MMP

Neither do Hornby or Bachmann but that doesn't stop them generating demand and elevating hopes .... As 7mm requires more financial planning how about a clue - a year give or take ?

Not in my vocabulary and you should not assume it is.  I do not have a date and that is exactly what I have said. 

If I say that I hope it will be sometime in the next year then if they do not appear in the next year there will be someone who says 'you said it would be sometime in the next year' - whereas I only said I hoped it will be! 

It will actually be when I get around to it and our commitments to our main ranges of military products allow.  I live in Pembrokeshire and we don't hurry for anything down here.  What I can definitely say is that it will be sometime in my remaining lifetime.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

How long has the mojo been gone.....?

Martyn.

Far too long. sadly, I have had three ops on my back, one of which was delayed so long it resulted in permanent nerve damage, which requires pretty strong painkillers. They, in turn, lead to little energy and lots of sleep. Not how I envisaged spending my last few years..........

Far too long. sadly, I have had three ops on my back, one of which was delayed so long it resulted in permanent nerve damage, which requires pretty strong painkillers. They, in turn, lead to little energy and lots of sleep. Not how I envisaged spending my last few years..........

Very sad to hear that Jeff - it sounds just terrible. 

None of us are getting younger and I have certainly re-prioritised my life in the last two-three years.  You just do not know what is around the corner and stress and commitments just add to any problems.  I'm taking my wife to hospital for some tests on Wednesday.  Hopefully its nothing too serious but you just never know.  There are far more important things in life than model railways!

Best to You,

David

Sorry for deviating off of your thread Mr. Grumpy!

...  I do not have a date and that is exactly what I have said. 

If I say that I hope it will be sometime in the next year then if they do not appear in the next year there will be someone who says 'you said it would be sometime in the next year' - whereas I only said I hoped it will be! 

It will actually be when I get around to it and our commitments to our main ranges of military products allow.  I live in Pembrokeshire and we don't hurry for anything down here.  What I can definitely say is that it will be sometime in my remaining lifetime.

Dear Mr Parkins,

Please do not hurry as I will need lots and lots and lots of time to learn how to solder properly before I attempt one of your magnificent kits.

Regards

Lee

Very sad to hear that Jeff - it sounds just terrible. 

None of us are getting younger and I have certainly re-prioritised my life in the last two-three years.  You just do not know what is around the corner and stress and commitments just add to any problems.  I'm taking my wife to hospital for some tests on Wednesday.  Hopefully its nothing too serious but you just never know.  There are far more important things in life than model railways!

Best to You,

David

Sorry for deviating off of your thread Mr. Grumpy!

Hope things go well for your wife David.

We have just suffered the devistating loss of a loved one, it certainly puts ones own final years in to perspective!

Happily, I have my love of all things railway to help take the pain away.

It sounds idyllic where you live....got room for a new neighbour!? It will save on my phone bills! :-)

Happy Birthday... a little late... sorry :D

Thanks Lee!

I certainly milked it!! Spent a couple of hours with my brand new 9F book, plenty of play time and a huge cake which I reluctantly shared!

There should have been a lovely MOK 9F to go with the book, but it's a little delayed, but just like David's kits, the wait will be well worth it!

• Like 1

Hope things go well for your wife David.

We have just suffered the devistating loss of a loved one, it certainly puts ones own final years in to perspective!

Happily, I have my love of all things railway to help take the pain away.

It sounds idyllic where you live....got room for a new neighbour!? It will save on my phone bills! :-)

Thanks Grumps -

No room here but you could live with Simon & his dog!

My very best wishes for your wife's health....and yours, David.

Thank You Jeff - appreciated.