Easton-Griffin 0298 Beattie Well Tank for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

I agree, and have made such points myself many times.

Having all axles able to move is, I think, a better solution to having one or all axles fixed.

I'd agree that "all axles floating" is likely to be smoother than "one fixed axle" but both are capable of being "true" three-point compensation.  It only matters in "roll" - ie the loco is forced by the fixed axle to follow twists in the track.  At sensible speeds, and in the case of an etched loco, I think the rotational moment of inertia about the roll centres is probably small enough to make the difference imperceptible, but it might be visible with a really heavy, eg cast WM, body, and it is clear that at ridiculously high speeds the wheels may not be able to follow the track, but this will not concern us.  I'm still very dubious about the "rocking beams and fixed axle" (thus providing "4-point compensation" if this isn't an oxymoron) that was recommended for the 1366 - this seems to guarantee either 3 or 5 wheels in contact with the track, which might be an improvement over a rigid chassis, some of the time.

My recommendation would be rocking beams between the driving axles and a central pivot for the leading axle - ie a mirror image of my 14xx.  I think Peter suggested the same.

Peter raises an interesting point about side play.  I'd concur regarding the leading and trailing axles, but given the short wheelbase of the loco, I doubt sideplay is necessary on the centre drivers, apart from normal running clearances.

HTH

Simon

Edited by Simond

I'm going to build it as 30587.

Here she is at Bodmin, (in disguise) -

post-27939-0-59167500-1452067638_thumb.jpg

A lovely little engine. She has a surprisingly crisp bark from the exhaust!

post-27939-0-36057200-1452067617_thumb.jpg

Mr Hallworth contemplates the task ahead. Oh to be on the footplate, cramped though it is . . .

John

• Like 1

They were very much more photographed in BR  days than in the 1930's. I found very few for my use. I had to use a later ones and remove what I knew would not be there. I will have a look at the ones I have and send on any BR ones.

• RMweb Premium

And a few distant shots. These were all taken back in August 2010 when we took Diesels in the Duchy to Truro show. I's just acquired a new camera and was struggling with the settings to get blur-free shots.

post-6675-0-37019300-1452119158_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-68137100-1452119161_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-91956800-1452119163_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-24378000-1452119166_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-54006600-1452119168_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-68291600-1452119171_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning all, look what arrived in the post this morning:

post-6675-0-80053500-1452855960_thumb.jpg

A massive thank you to Nick Easton who saw my chassis plight and offered me one of his own self-produced etches and was also good enough to extend this offer to include the body etch. It goes to show once again that there are some fantastic people on this forum.

My thoughts are to ditch the Jidenco body etch (which seems to have a myriad of issues) and mate Nick's etches with all the Laurie Griffin castings and Slaters wheels.

The only question is, should I rename the thread to reflect this parentage? Easton-Griffin 0298....

• Like 4

And a few distant shots. These were all taken back in August 2010 when we took Diesels in the Duchy to Truro show. I's just acquired a new camera and was struggling with the settings to get blur-free shots.

attachicon.gifIMG_9694.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9695.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9698.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9725.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9726.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9727.JPG

Id love to see the big Allen key they used to fix those wheels on with?

What a great cash of ref images you have there I'm sure that it will be a much easier build now you are using Nicks parts.

• RMweb Premium

The body in Nickle Silver as well, there's a bonus. Are there etchings for the internal cab slashers?

Not had chance to have a good look yet but first impressions are very good. The metal is thicker, so I won't have the problem with the flimsy half etched cab, and it's nickel silver too, which is much nicer to work with. If the internal cab splashers aren't there they should be easy enough to make. Nick does say there are two bits missing - the cab roof and one extra bulkhead former - but again neither will cause any problem. Not sure I'm looking forward to rolling the boiler though.

• RMweb Premium

You are a lucky man. Is there a club near you with a decent set of rollers?

Don

Not sure to be honest Don. I have had another generous offer of some rolling if I'm able to get to Stafford show in a few weeks. (thanks Pete)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You know I said I wouldn't start the kit yet?....

7 parts now cut out:

post-6675-0-27321500-1454704890_thumb.jpg

I'm now ready to go to Stafford show tomorrow. I'll hopefully find the ever helpful Mr Harvey and his rollers. Flat bits go in, curved bits come out. That's the idea anyway.

• Like 3