Easton-Griffin 0298 Beattie Well Tank for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

It's not a kit tho' just a collection of parts for scratchbuilding

Nick

Indeed, but the collection of parts I now have are better than many kits on the market! Many of those include a great deal of scratchbuilding.

I was having the conversation with Mr Harvey earlier and we decided that your scratch aid parts were a great complement Laurie's castings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another reference for my future build is these posts on Jazz's kit building thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1094-jazz-7mm-workbench/?p=2869456

Being the whitemetal kit the body will be a different build but it's interesting to see what he's done chassis-wise.

The Easton-Griffin collection of parts are on my to-do list but I'm being strong and am not starting this build until I've finished the current ones.

I notice that the Roxey kit has a whitemetal cross head and slide bars. Not a combination I like to build into a model.

The Roxey kit does have a white metal cross but the slide bars are nickel silver. (My own model runs beautifully I have to say.)

Wasn't that Paul's point, white metal running on white metal?

I imagine with the negligible loading it will see, and providing it gets oiled once in a blue moon, it'll be ok, but I too would prefer rubbing surfaces to be dissimilar metals.

Certainly, ground steel and whitemetal has a long and illustrious history as a bearing couple, in vast numbers & just about every application I can think of.

Best

Simon

Paul

There are many alloy compositions described as whitemetal, with trace additions of various elements to improve their performance on different axes. I'd very much doubt that the stuff used in car shell bearings is close to that used in hot type printing, or marine propellor shaft bearings, or our models, above being silvery, and containing mainly lead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal gives a breakdown, but I'd take issue with their rather bland shrinkage rate, as not shrinking is one of the key properties of Type Metal https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_metal. Indeed, I believe there is an alloy that expands on freezing rather like water, but cannot recall a name.

Best

Simon

Ah, it could. It's the difference between force & pressure. An 7.5-stone model with stiletto heels can cause far more damage to your big toe than I would at 15 stone and size 12 (flat) feet.

That's why, for example, bearings for ships' prop shafts are now plastic, which is very much softer than the steel of the shaft, but because the area is sufficient, it can support the load without being crushed. That they are lubricated by water is a huge bonus of course.

And, taking things to extremes, hydraulic oil is pretty flexible, but if it's contained in a cylinder...

Best

Simon

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Little bit of a thread bump as I've been asked on another BWT thread for photos of the Laurie Griffin castings.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99545-roxey-7-mm-beattie-well-tank/page-1&do=findComment&comment=1900800

All the parts I have are to suit the final form of the BWT in late BR steam days.

Here's the list of what parts I was sent in the original shedmaster kit:

post-6675-0-59990100-1520758879_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-49853700-1520758891_thumb.jpg

Castings collection, quite a few for such a small loco:

post-6675-0-03668000-1520759121_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-14606900-1520759169_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-73066400-1520759186_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-77343400-1520759198_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-11609200-1520759214_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-36506700-1520759235_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-86058100-1520759255_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I got a cast slide bars assembly and cross heads with mine - are they in your in your photos somewhere and I’m just missing them?

The bag of bits is currently doing good service as loft insulation so I don’t have it handy to photo. As I recall the smokebox door supplied was too big for the Shedmaster smoke box front plate (or the later is too small).

I also bought a replacement chassis etch from someone on this forum (edit: same one you’re using)

I formed the running plate, splashers and cab from the original Shedmaster but I doubt it will ever progress from there in all honesty.

Edited by Hal Nail