Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

David, reference the tunnels.

Do you know if they are the same height (30 feet) all the way through, or just the portals themselves?

Hi,

Not sure which tunnel it was along that part of the coast, maybe other Drivers could assist with this, but...from memory :

...in one of them and during the really cold spells it was commonplace at the start of my career, to have some fairly loud collisions with giant icicles as an early train went through, does that still happen these days ?

Also, the tunnel in the pics above always seemed to close in as you approached with a train however many times you worked down that way, and so it used to be customary to flinch a little as you went in, there really wasn't much room either side !

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 3

Looking at the first photo the hole that backs onto the wall appears to have a structure made of concrete against the outer wall is the a reinforcement ?

I think you mean,

That was the old supports of the seaward side of the public footbridge.

post-13585-0-48046800-1453909132.jpeg

• Like 1

See pictures below of the other end.

attachicon.gifT-128 Shakespeare Cliff 5-8-96.jpg

attachicon.gifT-130 Shakespeare Cliff 5-8-96.jpg

attachicon.gifT-131 Shakespeare Cliff 5-8-96.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

When were those photos taken, Paul?

The tunnel looks as though it is the same height all the way through, as the portal at the other end is fully visible in the second view.

The tunnel looks as though it is the same height all the way through, as the portal at the other end is fully visible in the second view.

1986 or 1990 at the latest,round about the time of the channel tunnel sidings at west end of Shakey tunnel were build for construction material delivery ? Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Premium

The answer was in the Doverhistorian link, on the previous page.

<snip>

In answer to your last question ,

<snip>

David,

Thank you for looking up those answers; neither of your links appeared in my google results (well not in the first three pages) so I clearly typed the wrong questions!

Your photos and missives in the course of these repairs are very interesting. Thanks again for your informative dissertations on the events as they unfold.

All the Best,

Dave

Edited by DIW

Today at the work site.

The forecast for today,was abysmal, looked at the chart,there was a window t'ween 1030 and noon,

so made my escape, up the cliff.

Wind, gusting 45/55 mph.stayed off the edge.

post-13585-0-08521100-1453927903.jpg

Even ferries were throwing a line to tugboats, costly that is.

post-13585-0-77776400-1453927904.jpg

The work, carried on, the exploratory dig for trestle beams of yesterday, had been covered over and back filling ,

of the down line continues. 

post-13585-0-74103900-1453928448.jpg

post-13585-0-92515100-1453928454.jpg

post-13585-0-99784400-1453928634.jpg

Then, they go and dig another hole, to remove old track bed/spoil.

post-13585-0-75940200-1453928640.jpg

Meanwhile, a team is hauling out the old cabling from the  seawall ducting.

post-13585-0-91612800-1453928846.jpg

post-13585-0-08675100-1453928850.jpg

post-13585-0-12635200-1453928852.jpg

Sorry, did not hang around for more than an hour, but, tomorrow, is a blue sky day.

General shots of the site.

post-13585-0-10154600-1453929145.jpg

post-13585-0-39722300-1453929147.jpg

post-13585-0-29806600-1453929149.jpg

post-13585-0-30312400-1453929152.jpg

post-13585-0-10327500-1453929154.jpg

post-13585-0-38491700-1453929156.jpg

post-13585-0-03280300-1453929159.jpg

post-13585-0-25709700-1453929161.jpg

• Like 10

Brian,

It was 5/08/96, I can't remember why I was there. I should have some pics from the last two years when I find them.

Cheers.

This,recent entry in Nigel's website page,leads me to possibly think somewhere,someone,
Is trying to get the public footpath leading to the top of the cliff,
CLOSED.
I can only think,that is ti stop us taking photos of daily work progressing on the site.
How Sad.
Maybe, it's will be soon to call in some favours,from friends

One with an inshore boat.
One with a light aircraft.
One with a drone.

It will cost,who ever it is, to get an Air and Sea Exclusion Zone Set up.

The follow quote,is from Nigel's website.

Dover Priory - Folkestone Central (Part 18).

Just one image from today, in fact the only one I could really take, given the current regime. I took this one

from the cliff path, which is still, at the moment, currently open to the public.

It shows just a snapshot of two new sink holes being attended to, following further recent erosion.

The guys are working hard.

Others are seemingly working hard to prevent the positive coverage from this page being put out there.

For the latest and most up to date images, as always, log onto:

http://www.dover-marina.com/shakespeare-beach-railworks/

Or, of course, you can see them here......

Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Gold

This,recent entry in Nigel's website page,leads me to possibly think somewhere,someone,

Is trying to get the public footpath leading to the top of the cliff,

CLOSED.

I can only think,that is ti stop us taking photos of daily work progressing on the site.

How Sad.

Maybe, it's will be soon to call in some favours,from friends

One with an inshore boat.

One with a light aircraft.

One with a drone.

It will cost,who ever it is, to get an Air and Sea Exclusion Zone Set up.

The follow quote,is from Nigel's website.

Dover Priory - Folkestone Central (Part 18).

Just one image from today, in fact the only one I could really take, given the current regime. I took this one from the cliff path, which is still, at the moment, currently open to the public. It shows just a snapshot of two new sink holes being attended to, following further recent erosion. The guys are working hard. Others are seemingly working hard to prevent the positive coverage from this page being put out there.

For the latest and most up to date images, as always, log onto:

http://www.dover-marina.com/shakespeare-beach-railworks/

Or, of course, you can see them here......

David,

Seems as though there is somebody trying to prevent positive coverage of the activities. Was speaking to a friend of mine, one of whose friends works on security at Dover (for Dover Harbour Board I think) and he says that his friend has been instructed to approach and stop people at ground level trying to take pictures of the work in progress. Can understand it if those trying to take the pictures were putting themselves in danger but don't think this is the case.

All seems rather bizarre as there is nothing sinister about the work being done by Network Rail. In fact I think what Network Rail has done is just fantastic especially in the way that they have organised the work in hand in such a short period of time. More people need to know what they are doing.

Keith

Keith

David,

Seems as though there is somebody trying to prevent positive coverage of the activities. Was speaking to a friend of mine, one of whose friends works on security at Dover (for Dover Harbour Board I think) and he says that his friend has been instructed to approach and stop people at ground level trying to take pictures of the work in progress. Can understand it if those trying to take the pictures were putting themselves in danger but don't think this is the case.

All seems rather bizarre as there is nothing sinister about the work being done by Network Rail. In fact I think what Network Rail has done is just fantastic especially in the way that they have organised the work in hand in such a short period of time. More people need to know what they are doing.

Keith

Keith

Thank you for your post Keith,

It could be due to some of my lighthearted photos.

Now, which bed for carrots, which for potatoes, then double cabbage.

post-13585-0-21450400-1453977682.jpg

post-13585-0-72635100-1453977722.jpg

• Like 5

Does anybody have any photos of the wagons, best view is in post 152? They look like new box bodies on BDA underframes. I know DBS had used some old BBAs with new box bodies, but if these are rebodied BDAs, they are still using a old LNER designed underframe, built in the 50s/60s, refurbished with air brakes in the 80s, with another new body on top from the 2010s.If so, those wagon underframes must be approaching 60+ years in revenue service.

• Like 1

Someone ought to remind Network Rail of the positive coverage from Dawlish (described in a Modern Railways editorial this month as "its biggest triumph in recent years") which would have been far less of a good news story if it hadn't been carried out in the public eye. 

• Like 1

Does anybody have any photos of the wagons, best view is in post 152? They look like new box bodies on BDA underframes. I know DBS had used some old BBAs with new box bodies, but if these are rebodied BDAs, they are still using a old LNER designed underframe, built in the 50s/60s, refurbished with air brakes in the 80s, with another new body on top from the 2010s.If so, those wagon underframes must be approaching 60+ years in revenue service.

There are a couple of good views on the site that David linked to; yes, they are recycled redundant BDA/BMA/BNA chassis, rebuilt in the late 1970s/early 1980s from wagons built in the early 1950s. The BAA/BBA conversions are shorter and chunkier, with higher sides, and so seem to be used on revenue aggregate traffic, rather than ballast and spoil.