Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

Unfortunately incorrect. Hoo Junction does not recycle ballast anymore (in fact, Hoo Junction does very little other than marshal trains from an engineering perspective, witht the exception of the sand and stone trips to Cliffe and Grain respectively). The VAST majority of relaid/dropped railway ballast is newly quarried, recycled now tends to end up in sidings if anywhere or sold on to outside enterprise. The spoil from Dover is going ultimately to Whitemoor, and the quality of most of it is poor enough (the top surface coming off the yard is mainly contaminated with chalk clogged soil, and not a huge amount of stone) that it's not being recycled back into the system, but disposed of outside of the railway. There will be some stone cleaned up no doubt, but certainly most of this will be ex-formation and will be stockpiled for secondary jobs like yards and sidings. A lot of it get cleaned, graded and crushed, then sold on. IIRC our last major customer for recycled ballast was the Swanage Railway. Very rarely do I deal with anything mainline requiring reclaimed stone, the only routine application is when the HOBC does it all in situ.

I hadn't realised that Hoo had ceased to deal with ballast recycling. I would have thought there'd be a ready market for the stuff in the SE, if only as No.1 sub-base. Where was the new material brought down to Dover sourced from?

The local politicos have apparently set up a Task Force to 'speed things up'; I look forward to seeing a group of wheezing middle-aged men with wheelbarrows turning up to 'help'. They should be easy to spot, as there'll be several camera teams in attendance.

South-Eastern, and Network Rail, seem to have responded commendably quickly. The former had put a  re-jigged timetable in place, along with replacement buses, within a couple of days, whilst the latter did well to source the stone as quickly as they did, as well as putting in the Larssen piles.

This morning, just before 08:00, the car park at Folkestone West was almost full, whilst there were at least six buses or coaches, either dropping-off passengers from Dover, or waiting for the next lot of Down passengers to arrive.

• Like 2

I hadn't realised that Hoo had ceased to deal with ballast recycling. I would have thought there'd be a ready market for the stuff in the SE, if only as No.1 sub-base. Where was the new material brought down to Dover sourced from?

The local politicos have apparently set up a Task Force to 'speed things up'; I look forward to seeing a group of wheezing middle-aged men with wheelbarrows turning up to 'help'. They should be easy to spot, as there'll be several camera teams in attendance.

South-Eastern, and Network Rail, seem to have responded commendably quickly. The former had put a  re-jigged timetable in place, along with replacement buses, within a couple of days, whilst the latter did well to source the stone as quickly as they did, as well as putting in the Larssen piles.

This morning, just before 08:00, the car park at Folkestone West was almost full, whilst there were at least six buses or coaches, either dropping-off passengers from Dover, or waiting for the next lot of Down passengers to arrive.

I'm not actually sure what the source quarry for the Type 1 was, if I'm honest. The wagons for Dover were loaded from virtual quarry stockpiles at Eastleigh and Westbury.

Hoo doesn't really have the space for a recycling operation at the moment, it used to be in the Down Yard (and there's still a levelled off overgrown heap of fines), but the surrounding area is now a wagon loading point for NR contractors. There used to be a spoil road at Grain, too. Spent aggregate currently goes to Eastleigh or Whitemoor for offloading, Eastleigh being the Souths main facility for materials handling.

Things may take a different turn once the HOBC makes itself known on Kent....!

The following photographs' are from yesterday,(21st.January) taken with my, camera,

i was unable to post last night and also today. Until now.

Yesterday's photos of  Beachwork.

Taken from Admiralty Pier

post-13585-0-31507500-1453485127.jpg

post-13585-0-78889800-1453485129.jpg

Taken from footpath,clifftop,adjacent to the A20.

post-13585-0-68166600-1453485131.jpg

post-13585-0-37907800-1453485133.jpg

post-13585-0-94868900-1453485135.jpg

post-13585-0-99166300-1453485137.jpg

Taken from atop of Shakespeare Cliff

post-13585-0-12157200-1453485140.jpg

post-13585-0-04162800-1453485142.jpg

post-13585-0-86744600-1453485143.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRR7D8Mh5zY

• Like 5

Southeastern to start Dover - St Pancras service via Ramsgate primarily for Deal & Sandwich

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-35379387

Although the BBC website article says there's not date for completion this evening local media were talking about the summer.

Stu

Edited by lapford34102
  • Like 1

Late evening news.

Had film from the site and included a clip from Dawlish reporting that NR considered the damage at Dover to be more complex and extending much further than the Devon washout.

NR spokesman unable to give a timescale until the work required had been fully assessed.

Local MP appeared to be calling for a quick patch up job rather than a long term solution.

Some character from local users group apparently unable to understand the idea that NR needs to stop things getting worse before they even start "repairs"

Personally impressed with what they've done so far.

Stu

the big question is where all the shingle went, the trouble with beaches is that stuff like ports restrict the natural movement of the stuff.

i am wondering if this has been caused by changes in currents scouring out this area due the the added ground the other end of shakespeare tunnel from the channel tunnel spoil. 

i similar thing happened at glyne gap, between bexhill and StLeonards when a great big steel groyn was built, resulting in lots of erosion to the cliffs to the East of the groyn, and loss of shingle off the beaches

• Like 2

Dover Express - Friday 21 September 1928

The work of removing the front portion of Archcliffe Fort and the railway tunnel was finally completed last week. The work commenced nearly two years ago, and 75,000 tons of chalk have been excavated. Last autumn and winter over two hundred men were employed on the work. The chalk has, in the main, been utilised for filling in the Railway Company's viaduct between Archcliffe and Shakespeare Cliff, but in addition, large quantities have been sent to Ashford for making a yard, to Aylesham for the new halt, to Minster for the new railway junction, and some has gone on the South Western section. The chalk-face is cut back at a slope and now forms a curve. The hard chalk has been faced off with the neatness of a mason facing granite block. The completion of this work brings to an end to the preliminary works at the Pier in connection with the railway schemes at Dover. these were the erection of the seawall from the Admiralty Pier to Shakespeare Cliff, the cutting away of Archcliffe Fort and tunnel, and the filling in of the railway viaduct, and the relaying of all the main railroads leading from the South Eastern system into Dover, and the formation of a military siding on the site of the Town Station.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18354.0

An early print,shewing the Wooden Viaduct,crossing the beach to Shakespeare Tunnel.

post-13585-0-36572800-1453530363.jpeg

• Like 8

By the look of whats going on this is going to be a very long and difficult job maybe the whole area behind the damaged wall will be dug out and backfilled with a mixture of concrete and ballast plus the remains of the trestle taken out,either way its a big job. Thanks for the photos David  keep them coming please.

Dover.

The castle, as it stands, is practically of the date of Henry II. In the walls, from 18ft. to 20ft. thick, are carefully-protected galleries. The summit is crenelated and there are four angular turrets. The height is a little over 465ft. During the present century the turret was made bomb-proof, and was armed with 64-pounder guns. Within the keep is a very ancient well, 370ft. deep. Altogether the castle occupies about 35 acres of ground.

The branch of the South-Eastern Railway which runs from Dover to Folkestone is characterized by many engineering triumphs.

The timber viaduct which is crossed soon after leaving Dover is 2,000ft. long.

The Shakespeare Cliff tunnel is 1,417yds. long, and is shown in the above view.

The cliff is about 350ft. above the level of the sea; its height is supposed to have been greatly diminished by bits of rock falling from its summit.

A deep valley separates the cliff from the heights on the other side of the town, which are so arranged as to hold quite a large army, and have spacious and complete barracks.

The Western heights communicate with the town by a perpendicular shaft, containing three flights of stairs, with 140 steps in each flight. The entrance is in Snargate Street.

The population of Dover is 33,418, and the favourite walks are on the heights to the castle and Shakespeare's Cliff, which commands a broad view of the shores of France.

Dover - The tunnel in Shakespeare's Cliff

From a Photo. by Poulton & Son.

post-13585-0-48592400-1453570602.jpeg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 3

By the look of whats going on this is going to be a very long and difficult job maybe the whole area behind the damaged wall will be dug out and backfilled with a mixture of concrete and ballast plus the remains of the trestle taken out,either way its a big job. Thanks for the photos David keep them coming please.

Is the trestle still in there amongst the fill. They are big timbers and if they're rotting away they won't make the area very stable.Jamie

As previous posted, the trestle,is estimated to be around 2,000 feet long.

I think the gradient for this section of line,

Starting at the ex Archcliffe junction,(the curve,that brings the line onto the seafront).

23. Feet above level.

At the tunnel mouth's, is said to be 125.Feet,above level

Approximately 1/2 mile,in length.

So, it is also said, the whole trestle was encased in 1930's concrete.

Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Premium

I think the work is progressing quite well considering, the work site is subject to the tides the same as Dawlish, but I think that the job itself is somewhat different to the situation there.

As far as polticos poking their nose in and asking for a quick fix, that will be alright until the next washout, when it will take even longer too sort the problem. Do it right, do it once.

• Like 1

The link below, is to local historian website.

It contain s an extract about the trestle viaduct and the building of a first Seawall.

The main article is, making the line,by Millitary explosion.

http://doverhistorian.com/2014/01/31/south-eastern-railway-company-the-blowing-up-of-round-down-hill/

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Yesterday, Loftysr was going to drop me at the subway to the cliff path, after leaving the

Canterbury model railway Exhibtion.

But, 3. Miles from Dover,we ran into hill fog and drizzle,this continued into Dover, clearing at about 100 feet,

As we dropped down the hill into town.

So, no photos again.

Today,the hill fog and drizzle persist,but I need a walk,see what happens with the weather,later today.

I have no details to the content of the photo.

Photo,Dover library.

post-13585-0-57884400-1453626359_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The longitudinal timbers from the viaduct are clearly visible in the first photo- I suppose we should be thankful that they haven't disintegrated under the trains. I should imagine they'd be Pitch Pine, which seems to last forever.

If they are pitch pine and not rotten they will command a high resale price. I used 150 year old pew ends to make the seat support pillars for the horse tram that I helped to restore. The smell of the resin when we cut and worked it was great.

Jamie