24429671859_b6fb30a11d_b.jpgP1270489 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24429688749_fd2222335f_b.jpgP1270485 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24679517592_f659671ab8_b.jpgP1270483 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24703871041_36bdb4daea_b.jpgP1270482 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24169216644_a80f2e5ab0_b.jpgP1270479 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24771162766_4c5d1c3b63_b.jpgP1270457 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24767138576_95eeaefe67_b.jpgP1270501 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

• Like 7

Am out of camera batteries, so, these are the last photos,tonight.

24771019266_73569ac142_b.jpgP1270519 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24703748771_38d63d0d92_b.jpgP1270521 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24429563719_e5814d93ca_b.jpgP1270529 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24703712081_ba26bbaec0_b.jpgP1270533 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24429533339_b53329ba2b_b.jpgP1270537 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24703666001_607c5755eb_b.jpgP1270550 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24168988924_6ffc97f35e_b.jpgP1270551 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24797141385_7091094399_b.jpgP1270555 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24679285232_37f89f91cb_b.jpgP1270559 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24703597281_b16f3a9377_b.jpgP1270570 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24170188443_134b6f30ce_b.jpgP1270581 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24429418329_c9242f0a3f_b.jpgP1270575 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

• Like 9

Curious; they're bringing in what looks like fine sub-base, and taking out the mixture of ballast and ash. I wonder what they're going to do next? Does anyone  know if the trains are being worked by Freightliner or GBRf? I know the locos are branded 'Freightliner', but wondered if GBRf had hired them.

• Like 1

Every time I see those tracked vehicles I expect to see a squad of Royal Marines jump out or a group of artic explorers get out they are very useful ,I to wonder what the new surface is for and also how are the cracks going to be repaired?

I was wondering if the contractor had got it cheap from the Army, as they certainly have a few different incarnations of that type of vehicle - known as a BV206.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It appears that NR are scouring the local papers and the internet for info on this section of railway, as they have inherited very little information about the works that were carried out in the '20's to fill the tressels in. I wonder if they have stumbled across this thread yet......

Andy G

• Like 2

It appears that NR are scouring the local papers and the internet for info on this section of railway, as they have inherited very little information about the works that were carried out in the '20's to fill the tressels in. I wonder if they have stumbled across this thread yet......

Andy G

Thanks,

It has taken me 8. Years,to glean articles/snippets & photos.

No one has written and definitive book,of Dover and its Railways,chronologically.

There was lot going on

Am presuming, that the orange cable ducting,seen running the full length, at the bottom

Of the cliffs, are "temporary ", cables for detecting and signalling circuits.

Other point of I note, is the lack of line side fencing at the base of the cliffs,to protect the line from chalk/vegetation land slip.

Presumably,confidence is high in this area,due to the fact,that most of the cliff slope,was largely man made.

Over the last couple of years, the section from Folkestone East, to Samphire Hoe/Western entrance of

Shakespeare Tunnel,has been doubled fenced.

With cables,that if cut by a chalk fall set signals to red/danger.

The actual railway boundary fence line is adjacent to a public footpath,atop of the cliff.

Starting opposite the Megger building off the roundabout of the A20,leading to Folkestone.

A walkable,foot way,part of the Saxon Way, unkempt,safe from large volumes of traffic,reasonably intact 1950/60s concrete post and mesh fencing.

Half mile or so later,you reach the entrance which would lead you down concrete stairs to the footbridge,over the rail lines and on to the beach.

Either side of the stairs entrance is modernist fencing.

Continuing with the path,starts the gentle rise to the top of Shakespeare Cliff.

To the right,is a sloped path,which takes you down to the subway,under The A20 and out on to a bus stop,

On the Aycliffe estate

Continuing up the rise, the fence is still there,but,covered in years of hawthorn and ivy growth,on the right,

Is a myriad of well tended allotment 's, to the top of the cliff, the allotment s, once owned by the railway company.

The path now zig zag's,it is constructed from concrete,from the start of its rise,almost,to the very top.

On the way up, there are four wooden benches,many years old,spaced at various intervals.

All in reasonable condition weathered over the years, here you can rest awhile and take in the views.

There are,in certain sections,a patchwork of repairs,between vegetation ,heavy gauge mesh,above the tunnel mouths,on the edge of the path, looks very secure, but would not like to test it,with my body weight

Of 10.5 stone.

All in all,worth the stroll up,to have my lunch,on the top bench and watch this crazy world go by,

With the company of gulls,Ravens, helicopters,ships, F15s and sometimes,trains.

Sheakespeare wrote about it,in King Lear,hence the cliffs name,also Dickens,wrote and loved the place,a frequent visitor to Dover.

Such is the rich history of Dover.

post-13585-0-57330200-1454570101_thumb.jpeg

post-13585-0-82754100-1454570205.jpeg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 5

Photography, FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES.

Contact usAbout usNewsPublicationsInvestor relationsPressVirtual ArchiveSocial media

Network Rail Home

Britain has the fastest growing railway in Europe Search powered by Google

Home Community Our work in the community

Community RailSafetySignalling heritageAccessibility improvementsSustainable developmentCommunity SchemeRailway enthusiastsLevel crossingsCharity

Railway upgrade planBuilt Environment Accessibility Panel

Railway enthusiasts

We welcome rail enthusiasts to our stations

The following guidelines are designed to help you to have a safe and enjoyable experience. Please print them out and take them with you when you are at Network Rail managed stations.

You may also wish to take a copy of the Railway byelaws which are available from the Gov.uk website.

Before you go on the platform

When you arrive at a station, please let the staff at the Network Rail Reception Desk know that you are on the station. This will help keep station staff informed so that they can go about their duties without concern as to your reasons for being there.

You may require a platform ticket to allow access to platforms.

On the platform

You need to act safely and sensibly at all times.

Stay clear of the platform edge and stay behind the yellow lines where they are provided

Be aware of your surroundings.

Please do not:

Trespass on to the tracks or any other part of the railway that is not available to passengers

Use flash photography because it can distract train drivers and train despatch staff and so is potentially very dangerous

Climb on any structure or interfere with platform equipment

Obstruct any signalling equipment or signs which are vital to the safe running of the railway

Wear anything which is similar in colour to safety clothing, such as high-visibility jackets, as this could cause confusion to drivers and other railway employees

Gather together in groups at busy areas of the platform (e.g. customer information points, departure screens, waiting areas, seating etc.) or where this may interfere with the duties of station staff.

If possible, please try to avoid peak hours which are Monday to Friday 6:00am – 10:30am and 3:30pm – 7:30pm.

Report anything suspicious

If you see anything suspicious or notice any unusual behaviour or activities, please tell a member of staff immediately.

For emergencies and serious incidents, either call:

The British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40

The Police on 999.

Your presence at a station can be very helpful to us as extra "eyes and ears" and can have a positive security benefit.

Photography

You can take photographs at stations provided you do not sell them. However, you are not allowed to take photographs of security related equipment, such as CCTV cameras.

Flash photography on platforms is not allowed at any time. It can distract train drivers and train despatch staff and so is potentially very dangerous.

Tripod legs must be kept away from platform edges and behind the yellow lines. On busy stations, you may not be allowed to use a tripod because it could be a dangerous obstruction to passengers.

Railway byelaws

For safety and ease of travel on the railway system (which includes passengers, staff, property and equipment), the byelaws must be observed by everyone. You can download the railway byelaws at Gov.uk.

General

Train companies must put the safety of their passengers and staff first.

You may occasionally be asked by station staff to move to another part of the station or to leave the station altogether. Station staff should be happy to explain why this is necessary.

If you are travelling by train, they may ask you to remain in the normal waiting areas with other passengers. If this occurs, please follow their instructions with goodwill as staff have many things to consider, including the safety and security of all passengers, and are authorised to use judgement in this regard.

Please print out a copy of these guidelines and take them with you when you are on the railway.

Thank you for reading and following these guidelines.

© Network RailContact usSite mapFreedom of InformationTerms and conditionsAccessibilityPrivacy policy

Edited by David Todd

This morning, awake at 0330.

Jumped the 1005 bus,out of town, seven minutes later, walking the slope,nearly to the top.

This, is where I sit and have lunch sometimes, and take the higher level photos. ,  but not today.

24444104679_4e76b48e41_b.jpgP1270731 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24693909262_88dcfc1114_b.jpgP1270734 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Turn 180 degrees, there is the top of the cliff.

24183583844_098bc5bf2f_b.jpgP1270733 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24811762765_17a6ded912_b.jpgP1270737 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24444088359_51b9beb4e0_b.jpgP1270741 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24444084929_ef69b655d8_b.jpgP1270743 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Explorations behind this wall yesterday.

24785508876_2884f69a72_b.jpgP1270706 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24516242330_bffafdf814_b.jpgP1270707 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

I was on the 1036,bus to return home, not alot going on, tide has just started to fall.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Low flying helicopters and ship's, while having lunch at the top of Shakey cliff.

P1270667 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24171146613_33969706c7_b.jpgP1270674 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

P1270684 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

The helicopters would appear to be making a farewell flight as the RN's last SAR squadron (771) is disbanded today)

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Andy G

I wonder if they've tried the NRM (although a lot of their stuff is alas not properly sorted or catalogued).  A former colleague of mine was working ona Transmark project in Egypt and Egyptian Railways didn'y have teh information he needed - but he found it in the railway museum and borrowed from there! 

I wonder too if NR and co have tried looking in contemporaneous magazines - works like those would almost certainly have been covered in 'The Railway Magazine' and 'Railway Gazette'

The following might help them -

RM October 1940 Vol 86, p 520 Chalk falls between Folkestone & Dover

j

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

I was wondering if the contractor had got it cheap from the Army, as they certainly have a few different incarnations of that type of vehicle - known as a BV206.

I do like those little articulated units; one with a flat-bed trailer would be really useful in the vineyard. Driving it to Beaujolais would be another matter, though. Quite a few ex-military vehicles end up in civil engineering; geotechnical drilling rigs often use 4x4 Bedfords of various types.

• Like 1

Periscope on the right?

No idea why, but I find these kinds of projects fascinating, despite having no connection with the area. Keep up the good work, much appreciated!

24694954185_eda32bf108_b.jpg

Nice Try !  :no: . But,no, At the bottom of the map, centre.   It's is Bulwark Rock Warning Buoy, on a stick.

BulwarkRock001.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Here are some photos, I did not get to upload yesterday.

24697483712_21cf3788a1_b.jpgP1270655 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24815390225_50bce55fb0_b.jpgP1270585 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24697504672_67ddf34a73_b.jpgP1270609 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24815355935_e2fe11dc79_b.jpgP1270620 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

24188528333_54f8db830a_b.jpgP1270591 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Hmm, unsure about this one. Maybe more pilling is going to the right ?

24721890401_cb2a2129a9_b.jpgP1270599 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

• Like 7

I see Derek,has been brought out to play yesterday. Now, Where did Janet & John go ?

Obviously,the BBc World Service,is not on the Fav. Playlist.
Have they not heard ?
Once the Iranians,flood the market,with their oil barrels'.
You will be getting petrol for free

24789100626_b5b6afdf5a_b.jpgP1270600 by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 5

The RAF and Navy  air  sea rescue squadrons are being replaced by helicopters operated by Bristows on behalf of the Coast Guard service with brand new helicopters and crewed mostly by the ex service personnel  who flew for the MOD.Must be a problem trying to find the info needed did not Railtrack dump loads of info as irrelavent to their requirements?Maybe they should go to the NRM but surely the trestle formation should be dug out as a start then the whole area backfilled with concrete and gravel?

• Like 1

The RAF and Navy  air  sea rescue squadrons are being replaced by helicopters operated by Bristows on behalf of the Coast Guard service with brand new helicopters and crewed mostly by the ex service personnel  who flew for the MOD.Must be a problem trying to find the info needed did not Railtrack dump loads of info as irrelavent to their requirements?Maybe they should go to the NRM

but surely the trestle formation should be dug out as a start then the whole area backfilled with concrete and gravel?

I did this hear, a couple of weeks ago, but with a twist,

Removal, no backfilling,              but a whole Meccano steel trestle, was one proposal.

My feeling is, that it depends on the surveys' carried out, and of course,  cost's, whatever the chosen proposal,  I should think,     with low maintenance in the pot, also.

But, why oh why, bring in 2 train loads of stone chipping's and lay it for the base of the track bed;s.

This is how, I view your surely.      just an observation.

The width from the foot of the cliffs', to the seawall, with it's curvature,   i am unsure about.

I estimated the height,from the base of the tunnel mouths' (or rail height) at 125.feet above level. (not beach or sea level).

The estimated length of the original trestle, 2,000 feet. OR length to where the rails are cut,from the tunnel mouths.

Height above level where the rails are cut, lets say, 50 feet.

That is a hell of a volume to remove, plus the trestle,with the possibility of maybe, chainsawing (or other means) each individual trestle vertical supports,above level.

Hey, but  I was no land based engineer. :drag: I passed the time of day,counting passing electrons, in ship's cable's.

Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Premium

One solution for the actual trackbed is to utilise the 'land viaduct' idea where piles are sunk and a concrete slab is laid on top them - just as you would for an ordinary bridge, except at ground level. this has been used successfully on the ECML where historic mining subsidence was causing problems with maintaining a safe and reliable trackbed.

Obviously this will do nothing for the retaining wall issues - that effectively needs a rebuild with deeper and more stable foundations - but if it is not actually integral to the trackbed then it may be an easier thing to undertake.

• Like 1

The 'Meccano steel viaduct' is pretty difficult to imagine: it would require a lot of maintenance, due to the proximity of the sea, and the very abrasive quality of the beach material. They could put in a series of bored concrete piles and then lay pre-stressed beams across them, or they could put a second wall inside the first, and shot-crete the existing to give it more resistance to wave action. I'm curious about the mini-drilling rig that seems to be taking samples along the beach itself.

Just noticed Phil has mentioned the concrete deck idea as well.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1