RMweb

The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

This is making me wonder. How long have shepherds been putting coloured patches on their sheep? I know it's common now, but when did it start?

It's been used for a very long time, the red (Raddle, Ruddle or as I knew it growing up, Rud) is a powdered iron ore mixed with oil to a thick smooth paste and smeared on with a wooden stick.

It's called raddling & shows if a ewe has been 'served' by the ram who's belly has been smeared with it prior to the 'fun'

It's primary use is for identification, smeared in different places on the sheep's back to identify different flocks especially on the moors. I've passed sheep on the moors this morning, one group with red on the shoulders and anothers with green, it proves they stay in their flocks.

• RMweb Gold

There are fields in Alderley Edge where all the sheep are dyed blue or pink or green...

That's so as you know what colour the cheese will be . . .

Managing to get a few jobs done before the weekend, one of which is to fit some sheep with extra legs so they will stand on the hillside.

attachicon.gif20170905_085532.jpg

Looks like one of those green alien sheep (A Lancashire Lonk?) has just exploded.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Just about to set off for the dark side, well, Manchester, for EMNorth, if you're coming along say hello, if you're not, why not?.

See you all over the weekend.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125531-expoem-autumn-2017/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just about to set off for the dark side, well, Manchester, for EMNorth, if you're coming along say hello, if you're not, why not?.

See you all over the weekend.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125531-expoem-autumn-2017/

Will you have a translator with you? A sheep? Yorkshire tea bags?

• RMweb Gold

I thought the layout was looking stunning at this weekend's exhibition Paul, you must be well pleased with how it's looking. As you say, addition of a back scene should finish it off nicely.

Very pleased and it ran far better than I expected, a few little problems with wagons derailing but these were down to the cosmetic fishplates and one wagon's back to back being too narrow, the 1001's running was a bit lumpy and sticky but a bit of lubrication on the crankpins and plenty of running and by Sunday night it was running sweetly.

• Like 6