The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Back to the mundane tonight, the hillside behind the cottage and up to the coal depots has been grassed, this time a little shorter and hopefully greener than the main hill. I've also stated on the fence behind the coal depots, the posts and gateposts are in. The gate will hang from the right hand post, opening towards the camera, that is presuming it was the same then as it is now, the gate and posts might change over the years but the orientation rarely does.

post-7104-0-81322300-1498857848_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-18350800-1498857838_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

It's really coming to life now Paul. Apart from the modelling itself I find the design very inspirational. Visually there is something very effective and attractive about a lengthy row of buildings behind a goods train, and the hillside in front really sets it off.

Must try out some of that Chinchilla dust, it seems very effective (and if I put it on the modelling shelf next to the baby powder and the latex gloves it should draw some interesting reactions from visitors).

• RMweb Gold

Moving up the road and around the back there's a gate at the top of the hill, there's still one there now although it's made of steel and quite a bit longer. This one is from an NER drawing.

post-7104-0-79436600-1499112159_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Nothing exiting on the layout to show tonight, just glue and filler drying, so it was off to the bench to add horns to a few more sheep and I thought I'd do a step by step.

I'm using Model Scene sheep, they seem to be the best for representing moor top Swaledales, even the colour of the plastic is right. 

post-7104-0-18762200-1499203725_thumb.jpg

The first job is to remove mould lines and then to cut a groove across the back of it's head.

post-7104-0-99342800-1499203731_thumb.jpg

The horns are bent up from .45mm brass wire.

post-7104-0-88109800-1499203738_thumb.jpg

Glued into the groove with the horns curling sort of around the ears.

post-7104-0-02205800-1499203746_thumb.jpg

The head repainted black and the distinctive white nose added together with a bit of white on the legs and the horns painted a similar colour to the body. Finally a red identification mark on it's shoulders.

post-7104-0-05683200-1499203753_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is that curtain from left over bridesmaid's dress material ?

Unfortunately crimson lake and Saxony green were outlawed fairly early on in the planning... the bridesmaid's dress is currently in Australia and cost significantly more than the layout curtain.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose that would be omething to do with Linette

Derek

Yes, Lynette and Lucy are coming over, Lucy's the bridesmaid.

It's 3 weeks tomorrow, it's starting to get in the way of layout work...

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Lynette and Lucy are coming over, Lucy's the bridesmaid.

It's 3 weeks tomorrow, it's starting to get in the way of layout work...

Or you could see it as extra operators to help out