drax/Hornby biomass wagons

cheesysmith

Couldn't resist. And Lego did Maersk trains too.

Lego+Maersk+Line+Container.jpg

Back in the past Stobart commissioned a painting of a Stobart-liveried 37 on a Stobart train climbing Shap - this was some time before Stobart got into railways. They did around 500 prints (I think) and gave them to customers etc - but never sold them. Choice items now, I gather

In case you missed the MREMag feature, there is a video about them and also one of a 66 pulling them

https://youtu.be/Be7PWgxzZQw

According to the video Drax own all the IP to the new wagon, hence they call the shots.

https://youtu.be/hD-2woDi-j8

The Drax video is fascinating - wagons really are exciting! And, the larger capacity is genuinely a big deal. Also nice to see that it's UK designed and built. Now I can see why Drax is so proud of them...

• RMweb Premium

The Drax video is fascinating - wagons really are exciting! And, the larger capacity is genuinely a big deal. Also nice to see that it's UK designed and built. Now I can see why Drax is so proud of them...

It is nice to see some engineering work is still done in the UK.

Being there are two variants, would it be better to have a mixed rake of 4 of each or a whole rake of 8 of one type. Having not seen pics of the swoosh livery I'm finding it difficult to decide which way to go..

They are set uo to run one of each livery alternatively - so for example:

A,b,a,b,a,b,a,b

Thats if you wanted an 8 rake as the 'swoshes' on the two liveries match up side by side so the swosh looks like a continues flow along side A rake. I hope this helps

First thoughts are these are very welcome and looking from the pics rather impressive detail wise ... BUT ... at £83 per wagon they seem just a tad bit expensive even looking at 2 of each would still come to an eye watering £326 for a small rake of 4.

Though my local shop has the Bachmann Polybulks for sale at £59.99 each so what is otherwise £24 extra for what will no doubt be a one off doesn't sound all that bad.

Maybe some time with the bank manager to justify a rather small order of these is required ...

Fancy getting closer to the Drax wagons?

Drax competition celebrates release of special edition Hornby biomass wagons

1 February 2016, Selby, Yorkshire: Drax is offering the chance to sit with the driver in the cab of a real biomass train on its journey to deliver compressed wood pellets from one of its four ports to the UK’s largest power station.

The winner of the first prize in the competition will also receive a set of two limited edition Hornby biomass wagons presented by Andy Koss, Chief Executive of Drax Power, and will be taken on a VIP tour of the biomass unloading facilities. Three runner up winners will each receive the limited edition Hornby biomass wagon set.

Drax processes and compresses low grade wood into small high-density pellets, turning humans’ oldest renewable energy source into a fuel that is modern and highly efficient.  The majority of the compressed pellets are imported from the huge working forests of North America which are expanding year on year.   Drax’s new energy source is made from the residues and thinnings left from industries that have no use for them.

Our specially designed trains move millions of small pellets from four UK ports – Hull, Immingham, Liverpool and Tyne – to our power station with a minimal cost and environmental impact. Hornby has released two special edition model wagons in ‘OO’ gauge. They have been commissioned by Drax and only 2,000 have been produced. The wagons are currently available for pre-order here, and 10% of all profits received will be donated to the Railway Benefit Fund.

To enter the competition, email competitions@drax.com with your name, age, phone number, postal address, and answer to this question:

Which four UK ports do Drax biomass trains pick up compressed wood pellets from before travelling to Drax Power station to generate 4% of the UK’s electricity?

The competition closing date is Friday, 12th February and the winners will be chosen the following week.

• Like 7