Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

I have been studying the real loco whilst awaiting delivery of my kit. I really have a dilemma where, to fit the gearboxes and motors without showing in those side gaps. The front tank seems to have too little to hide, them . The rear with its higher bunker might be the answer, and having to settle for one powered chassis.

09043343-8CA0-4481-A518-E451C0587155.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Thanks John, I have motorised the three LMS garratts, now with dual motors, and am very happy with the results. I think however that this beast will only have the one in the rear bunker, and therefore I will endeavour to make the front chassis as free wheeling as possible. I’ve just watched a YouTube where an American modeller motorised his with a large canon motor in the loco, feeding two gearboxes in the chassis via universal joints. A little beyond me…my motto …K.I.S.S.

best wishes Brian

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Thanks John, I have motorised the three LMS garratts, now with dual motors, and am very happy with the results. I think however that this beast will only have the one in the rear bunker, and therefore I will endeavour to make the front chassis as free wheeling as possible. I’ve just watched a YouTube where an American modeller motorised his with a large canon motor in the loco, feeding two gearboxes in the chassis via universal joints. A little beyond me…my motto …K.I.S.S.

best wishes Brian

My ass?  To be honest, looking at the photo of the real thing, but without having looked at the HL site, I wonder if one of Chris,s motor combo arrangements would not sit in the rear part of the front bunker. and not be visible.  His latest 2 motors are fairly small but have bags of torque. I suppose its hard to tell until the it arrives and you see what room you have to play with.

John

Edited by rowanj
  • Funny 1

On 17/02/2023 at 18:39, 46256 said:

John I’ve just found this showing the top of the plates over bunker. The spotlight is interesting as well

23D9FC87-9F50-4F08-9EAF-8B9CC6084B12.jpeg

That's a great find and very informative.

Apparently, and relevant to your later discussion, the spaces under the tanks were to allow maintenance staff to crawl in and reach down to service the valve gear on the middle cylinder. It being the conjugated Gresley design as used on the 02 2-8-0's. What a lovely job that must have been.....

John.

• Informative/Useful 1

I’ve just been checking my library, sure enough I’m lucky to have a copy of the LMS and LNER Garratts by Bob Essery and G Thoms . I’ve just been reading up on this loco. The oil firing was completed in 1952 and that is when the spotlight was added to the rear bunker. This was the preferred way to bank a train using this loco. The book contains line drawings. I just used them to mock up the front tender, and using one of my LMS garratt assemblies gained an insight as to how it might be fitted into the LNER version. It looks possible but with some loss of the daylight through the cutout. The other concern is the amount of swing a 280 chassis is going to have with the boiler etc mounted. We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have followed Barry’s advice and contacted Mike.

He has kindly replied to my request for information.

He replied, the two garratts on his layout are motorised differently. The first as DJH recommend with a solitary motor in the rear assembly. This loco wasn’t built by Mike. He advises whilst a good runner, it can have a tendency for the unmotorised chassis to “ slide” occasionally. This is what I found with my LMS garratt before fitting the second motor, which became the norm for my other two when built. The second loco, which he built, is powered by two DS10 and Romford gears mounted vertically. I confess I have never managed the silky smooth operation using these in the past.

He did however , kindly send to  me, U1%20garrattt.pdfa down load showing an arrangement using high level motors etc which will be the method I shall adopt.

Mike also touched on another of my  concerns, the arrangement for the pivot of the chassis. He confirmed that DJH have located it correctly .

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

My “ I’ll gotten gain” namely my eBay purchase 18000 arrived today. I believe rather than the body line kit, it is the RTR version offered by Silver Fox. In any event it is very well done on a Bachmann chassis. I will photograph in due course, probably double heading the EM2 en route to the exhibition of modern traction that was held in the old Bingley Hall in Brum back in the day….( slight historical misinformation alert) 

• Like 1

I’m still awaiting arrival of the garratt kit, in meantime have received the 1219c motors from High Level. I’m still undecided which gearboxes, although using Chris’s templates against the correctly sized drawing supplied by Mike, I’m pretty sure it will be the loadhaulers.
Whilst waiting for the kit, and working on the theory, it won’t contain the headlamp which was fitted by the second time it visited Bromsgrove. I’ve spent the afternoon crafting one from a Hornby bearing and bits of brass, all carefully soldered together. I purchased a photo from transport treasury, which can’t be posted here giving a clearer view. The lamp sits on a shelf, this in turn fixed to the bunker rear.

I think i will replicate the glazing using superglue. I will photograph in due course….and if one is included when the kit arrives…

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

On January 14th 2016, I commenced this thread with the arrival of the DJH big Bertha kit. The DJH U1 has just landed complete with wheel set. The usual DJH mixture of etch brass and white metal . There is no headlight included,so yesterday’s work wasn’t in vain. I will photograph the contents in due course. The first task after checking everything ,is present and correct , will be determining the appropriate gearboxes from High level.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ok might not look much but this is the home made headlamp. It started life as a Hornby axle bearing, four other brass pieces soldered to it glazing represented by superglue…

The other photo bearings being added to the standard djh frames, also showing the templates I’m using to decide on gearboxes.

A0F88DE8-3F3B-4093-93CA-0D9FC92BE137.jpeg

16808C9B-C7D6-45D6-A350-62E62308098B.jpeg

• Like 6

Gday Manna

yes indeed, the DJH kit is of its time …certain features I wouldn’t expect if produced now. White metal brakes for example. The thick brass chassis frames which take a lot of heat to solder. I’m now awaiting the high level gearboxes. I’ve decided to go with the roadrunner fitting the motor vertically into the bunker. It’s not clear from the instructions how the chassis pivot on the central body, always an issue with garratts. It’s going to keep me out of mischief for a while. Looking at my little headlamp I wish I had painted the interior a silver gilt before adding the glazing effect. I’m going to try and remove the superglue and do this…probably end up with it disintegrating into its component parts…

• Friendly/supportive 2

First chassis under construction. The DJH sides take a lot of heat for the solder to run. , I’ve just invested in a Lonovo soldering station , I think I would struggle with my usual 25 w antex  iron. The DJH sides have tabs and screws however still taking the precaution of using my Poppy’s jig to ensure squareness. It will also be placed on a piece of plate glass as well

FA9856DB-BA66-4816-ABD4-5363A189E4A3.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 6

Always a nice moment when coupling rods on and you have a free wheeling chassis without tight spots. Chassis well cleaned and visible screw tops filed off before placing wheels and axles into the setup. I still managed to get one non insulated wheel on the wrong side….now corrected.

ACFFCC8C-BCD1-4E01-BB3E-1B2491C2E02F.jpeg

• Like 8

The frames clearly have a cut out in them to accommodate a can motor. The instruction sheet recommends an Anchoridge TA12. I’ve just looked it up and it was a can motor, part of Mashima range. I therefore feel it will happily house the high level 1219.

In choosing my motor gearbox combination, I clearly want one that fits, and doesn’t obscure too much of the daylight through the cutouts on bunker sides. It was also relevant to consider,  when finished, the role of this locomotive on my layout. It won’t be required to push/ pull prodigious loads as per the prototype. It will at best travel light engine, as it did in real life between Bromsgrove and the North East. My model of Bertha however, has a working three link coupling, this loco will as well.

I have a “ converter truck” equipped with the same coupling on one end, small tension lock on the other, should I want to see them haul a train. Bertha to her credit, has pulled a thirty plus wagon train, we shall see what this one will do.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1