The Diesel & Electric Show: The Best of Diesel Era Modelling Sponsored by Bachmann Europe Plc

L_Mandall

BRAND-NEW EVENT FOR 2016!

The Diesel & Electric Show: The Best in Diesel Era Modelling Sponsored by Bachmann Europe Plc

When: Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st February 2016

Opening Times: 10.00am - 4.45pm

Where: The International Centre, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 4JH

Tickets: £7.50 per adult in advance, £9.50 on the day. 

Website for tickets: www.dieselandelectricshow.co.uk

Ticket hotline: 01507 529529

About the event:

The Diesel & Electric Show: The Best of Diesel Era Modelling Sponsored by Bachmann is a brand-new

event for 2016, brought to you by the publisher of Rail Express Magazine. Mortons Media Group is a

publisher of more than 20 enthusiast magazines and an experienced event organiser with a number

of well-established and successful exhibitions under its belt.

Occupying both the spacious Ironbridge and Wenlock suites at the venue, the show will feature layouts, traders, demonstrations and club/society stands. The venue facilities include a café and seating area in a modern wheelchair friendly environment, located in the town centre. A free shuttle bus will operate between the venue and Telford Central railway station.

Traders confirmed so far:

ALL COMPONENTS LTD  

Bachmann EUROPE PLC

C&L FINESCALE MODELLING LTD

CHELTENHAM MODEL CENTRE

CLASS 37 LOCOMOTIVE GROUP

DCC SUPPLIES LTD

Dapol MODEL RAILWAYS

EILEENS EMPORIUM

GOING LOCO

HOLDER COLLECTABLES

KEEN SYSTEMS

MODELLERS MECCA

MEGAPOINTS CONTROLLERS

NORTH ROAD TRAINS

SAWYER MODELS

TIM HORN

TONYS TRAINS AT BARBY MODEL RAIL LTD

VIDEOSCENE

WEALISTIC MODELS

WELSH HIGHLAND RAILWAY LTD

Layouts in attendance:

Layout: Cottleston

Gauge: OO

Era: Privatisation

Layout Size: 16ft x 1.6ft

Layout: Dragonby

Gauge: N

Era: Priv current

Layout Size: 16ft x 4ft

Layout: Dubmill Sidings

Gauge: O

Era: Green / blue

Layout size: 55ft x 3ft 5 inches

Layout: Georgemas Jn

Era: Priv early

Layout size: 26ft x 1.6ft

Layout: Grange-over-sands

Era: Sector

Layout size: 18ft x 4ft

Layout: Kinmundy

Gauge: EM

Era: Green

Layout size: 16ft x 1.6ft

Layout: Loftus Road

Layout size: 20ft x 12ft

Layout: New Bryford

Size: 16ft x 8ft

Layout: Portchullin

Gauge: P4

Era: Blue

Layout size: 15ft x 15ft

Layout: Roundtrees

Gauge: EM

Layout size: 26ft x 10ft

Layout: Tanners Hill

Layout size: 6ft x 7ft

Layout: Worcester Road

Gauge: 1

Era: Green

Layout size: 10ft x 2ft

post-28194-0-79273900-1452779499_thumb.jpgpost-28194-0-51760000-1452779581_thumb.jpgpost-28194-0-46864100-1452779670_thumb.jpgpost-28194-0-91231300-1452779792_thumb.jpgpost-28194-0-16353100-1452779891_thumb.jpg

Demonstrators confirmed so far:

Fred Phipps – Gauge 1 – Gauge 1 Models

Shane Wilton – 4mm – HST/APT Modelling

Paul Wade – 4mm – NSE 30 years

David Lewis – 4mm – WCML coaches

Robert Shrives – 2mm – 3D printing

Alan Monk – 4mm – DCC & detailing

Societies confirmed so far:

DEMU

125 Group

post-28194-0-94842300-1452780058_thumb.jpg

post-28194-0-31053700-1452780934_thumb.jpg

We were approached at our stand at Warley by the organisers of this event asking if we would be interested in supporting it. A few days later we were booked in as a trader. Can't wait to support this event and watch it grow from strength to strength.

WiII be there with Kinmundy. Come and make yourseIves known!

Hi Martin, we shall pop over and say hi at some point over the weekend. This event is perfect for my own modelling tastes as I model 1983-present day, basically year I was born onwards, so there will be plenty to keep me occupied.

WiII be there with Kinmundy. Come and make yourseIves known!

Be prepared to be lucky as to whether the checked shirt will be there when you visit or "gone for an hour".

Any road up Martin, it's time you returned your layout to the "shed" for an upgrade. 

Mod 1A, fitting of punch clock.

Can't make it myself that weekend but I wish them well. It'll be interesting to see how it develops, can't help thinking given the content of it, a smaller and less expensive venue might have been a more viable option. Telford may be one of the more economical venues of this type but it's still moe than the average sports centre or similar type of thing. 

• RMweb Premium

A quick test of a possible new formation on NB tonight.

Slightly out of area, (but they do run through Manchester Piccadilly) an Arriva WAG set.

post-408-0-53326900-1454453586_thumb.jpg

The next couple of weeks will see a bit of scenic maintenance and wheel cleaning.

Looking forward to playing trains again - first show since September.

Cheers,

Mick

Must admit I am looking forward to getting along to this one. Other than the DEMU show their isn't really an exhibition that caters just for Diesel and Electric fans. Yes I know that pretty much all exhibitions on the circuit cater for both aficionados (Steam and that other one). But there are times when I visit an exhibition and I feel that any layout based on anything post 1970 is treated a bit like the embarrassing cousin left in the corner of the parlour.............. mild rant over.

Can't make it myself that weekend but I wish them well. It'll be interesting to see how it develops, can't help thinking given the content of it, a smaller and less expensive venue might have been a more viable option. Telford may be one of the more economical venues of this type but it's still moe than the average sports centre or similar type of thing. 

Bit of a shame the event is being held at Telford at a bit of a drab time of year. With Ironbridge a stones throw away and Bridgnorth and the SVT about a 40 minute drive. Some golden opportunities to pacify the travelling domestic authorities are missed.

Be prepared to be lucky as to whether the checked shirt will be there when you visit or "gone for an hour".

Any road up Martin, it's time you returned your layout to the "shed" for an upgrade. 

Mod 1A, fitting of punch clock.

Upgrading the layout is easy. Training Martin on the upgrade is harder.....

Mike

• RMweb Gold

This is punted from a concurrent exhibition within the publishers group to use up space, so in relative terms isn't all that expensive to organise.

Mike.

Not long to go! Really looking forward to this event. As a modern image modeller it is nice to see an exhibition aimed at diesel and electric modellers rather than mainly steam with a few diesels and electric layouts hidden away in a corner like they are something to be ashamed of. Just wish I could bring my layout but at 10ft x 12ft and that's not including the new 6ft by 1ft extension i've just added to it (which is actually removable and can be used on its own) it's a bit big to get into the car. See you all in a few weeks! 

This should be an enjoyable weekend with a great selection of exhibits! We've been making some big new additions to the scenery on Loftus Road which will be good to unveil for the first time! :)

If I get chance to escape from our trade stall I'll come over and take a look.

With just over a week to go, here is the final line-up for the Rail Express Diesel & Electric Show taking place at the Telford International Centre, Shropshire on February 20/21.

Layouts

N gauge
- Dragonby (Geoff Buttler): The former Acton Main Line now updated to the Privatisation era with a host of freight and passenger stock representing operations in the Midlands and North East from 2000 onwards.
- Grange-over-Sands (Blackburn & East Lancs MRS): A recreation of the Cumbrian station as it was in the late 1980s/early 1990s but with the goods yard retained to increase operational interest.
- Tanners Hill (Steve Farmer): A compact NSE-era layout designed to showcase main line operations, its North Kent setting allows plenty of third rail EMUs to feature along with freight and engineers traffic.

OO gauge
- Cottleston (Ben Adlington): Depicting a branch line in the East Midlands that has survived into the Privatisation era, the passenger service intermingles with military traffic under the control of semaphore signals.
- Georgemas Junction (George Woodcock): A faithful recreation of the Far North junction at the turn of this century when freight traffic was undergoing an unlikely renaissance under EWS.
- Loftus Road (Worthing MRC): Set in the urban and modernised sprawl of West London, the layout is heavily influence by Kensington Olympia with plenty of cross-London freight in between the passenger trains.
- New Bryford (Mick Bryan): Recreating current day operations in the North West around the Manchester/Bolton area, plenty of highly detailed rolling stock can be seen, including the odd Network Rail test train!

EM/P4 gauges
- Kinmundy (Martin Jones): The EM layout recreates a former Great North of Scotland branch that is still clinging to life in the late 1960s as Type 1s and Type 2s potter about on a frosty day with freight traffic, including to the local distillery.
- Roundtrees Sidings (Blyth & Tyne MRS): Also in EM, this portrays part of the Tyne & Wear Metro system during the mid-1980s, a time when BR still operated freight traffic over the system, including to a Rowntrees confectionary factory.
- Portchullin (Mark Tatlow): This atmospheric P4 layout recreates the Kyle of Lochalsh route in the Scottish Highlands during the mid-1970s as blue diesels threaded their way past lochs and mountains.

O gauge and Gauge 1
- Dubmill Sidings (Steve Thompson): Over 40ft in scenic length, the O gauge layout depicts freight operations somewhere in the north western corner of Cumbria as BR’s corporate blue era began to take hold.
- Worcester Road (Steve Harrod): The Western Region’s diesel hydraulic fleet make their presence felt on this highly-detailed Gauge 1 recreation of the inside of a diesel maintenance depot.

-------

Demonstrators & displays

- DCC sound and diesel detailing (Alan Monk): Simple tricks to get the best from DCC and sound chips, including decoder installation and programming, along with detailing, modifying and converting ready-to-run diesel locos. The EM gauge micro-layout Barbers Bridge will be present to display and run locos but other common gauges will be covered via a multi-gauge test track.
- Gauge 1 Modelling (Fred Phipps): Supporting the appearance of Worcester Road, Fred will be demonstrating his range of Gauge 1 kits, which focus particularly on the North British diesel hydraulics and Mk.1 coaches.
- InterCity 125s at 40 (Simon Bendall/Alex Carpenter): This year marks the 40th anniversary of the InterCity 125s entering passenger service and then achieving 125mph operation. To commemorate this, over 20 full length HSTs will be on display along with other memorabilia.
- Modelling High Speed icons (Shane Wilton): A 4mm scale display of Advanced Passenger Train (APT) and High Speed Train (HST) models showing how British Rail’s two icons of speed can be modelled in both prototype and production forms. Other associated vehicles from the Railway Technical Centre will also be on show.
- N gauge developments (Robert Shrives): A demonstration of how new modelling methods are being applied to 2mm scale, including the use of 3D printing, constructing the Finetrax track kits and other cottage industry developments.
- Network SouthEast 30th anniversary display (Paul Wade): The creator of Tonbridge West Yard will be displaying a variety of rolling stock to mark 30 years since the sector was launched in 1986. Models from other scales will also feature along with literature covering the NSE era.
- West Coast Main Line trains of the Sectorisation era (David Lewis): The proprietor of Southern Pride Models will be showcasing an impressive selection of 4mm scale coaching stock and EMU models, all representing full length trains that could be found on the WCML during the 1980s and early 1990s. These include, among others, the BREL International Train, Mk.2 and Mk.3 Manchester Pullman sets, the Royal Train and an Overhead Line Maintenance set.

Societies
DEMU
125 Group

Traders
All Components
Bachmann
C&L Finescale
Ceynix Railway Trees
Cheltenham Model Centre
Class 37 Locomotive Group
Dapol
DC Kits
DCC Supplies
Eileen’s Emporium
Going Loco
Holder Collectables
The Junction Box
Keen Systems
Lougborough Model Centre
MegaPoints Controllers
Modellers Mecca
North Road Trains
Sawyer Models
Shawplan/Extreme Etchings
Tim Horn Precision Scale Replicas & Layout Accessories
Tonys Trains
Videoscene
Wealistic Models
Welsh Highland Railway

-------

Other details
Advance tickets still available priced £7.50 per adult, £9.50 on the day. Children £3.50 in advance and on the day. Can be booked via www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/show/id/24  or from Mortons' customer services on 01507 529529.

The event is being held on the first floor of the exhibition centre which is accessible by stairs and a lift. Doors open 10am-4.45pm both days and the event is split across two halls. A restaurant and seating area is available on the same level.

The International Centre has its own on-site parking but this can become full quite quickly as other events will be taking place on the same weekend. A large multi-storey car park is available just across the road from the main entrance to the centre, a couple of hundred metres walk away. For those arriving by rail, a free mini-bus shuttle will pick up from Telford Central station with a 30 minute frequency planned.

• RMweb Premium

New Bryford dismantled and ready for loading to go to Telford this weekend. Just a few items of new stock being tweaked tonight. Wheel cleaning in the next two evenings.

The NB team is looking forward to a weekend of playing trains.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived