• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Well, it has been a funny old week. Last Sunday afternoon I was settling down to watch the six nations rugby, but found I couldn’t settle, and ended up getting in bed, the only place I was at all comfortable. Eventually an ambulance was called  ,and I put it down to an upset tum, but they couldn’t build up my blood pressure  .late evening I went on the CT scan and I was diagnosed an Aortic Aneurysm, and things got frantic. It’s something they can’t do at SwindonGreat Western, so two am on to an ambulance for a frozen gale swept trip over the Cotswolds to the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, and straight into the operating theatre to get started at three am.Two neat little Nicks, and a stent was inserted. I think I could have been lucky, certainly you couldn’t wish to be surrounded by a finer bunch. Out next week maybe, and I’ll try and pick things up again.

So pleased to hear that you came through it.  They do not do operations at three in the morning if there is no rush.  Hope you feel better soon.  I will be praying for you.

• Agree 4

Oooh, err.  I had a stent for a stenosis last April, Covid apparently caused a (happily) very minor heart attack, but an aneurism is an altogether scarier beast!

very best wishes for a complete recovery

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow a bit of a shock there Bob.  As Chris said they wouldn't be rushing you elsewhere at 2am for an emergency op  unless it was necessary. Best wishes for a full recovery dont rush it though. 

Don

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Wishing you the very best for a quick and good recovery.  Excellent that hospital staff were quickly onto what was the problem and were able to organise emergency surgery for you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Northroader said:

I think I could have been lucky,

From presonal experience I would say that yes, you have been. Very sorry to hear of your issue but here's hoping that you're on the road to recovery. I hear "some light railway modelling" is a good therapy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, Stephen, early days yet, but a bit of a poser as to how far I be able to get now, things like model show trips could suffer, plus drive and energy levels may be lower. will my daughter be pushing for us to move to a “nice little bungalow in Cheltenham”?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Hell Bob, I know last weekend's results weren't ideal, but no need to get all heartbroken over them! Sounds like an intense few days you've had. Glad to hear of the swift and successful intervention, and well done for taking it easy. All the best for an easy, speedy recovery.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As I know only too well these things can come out of nowhere.  Very glad that you got such swift treatment in theses difficult times and hoping by now you're beginning to feel better.  Take it easy but don't give up!

All the very best.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, James, Sunday night was fun, if anyone is studying NHS staffing, there were six round me at the GWH, three on the ambulance, and I think eight at the GRH, so I’ve had my share for this year for sure! They’re all pure gold, too. Just waiting for blood tests to come good before I can escape, and there’s also Covid around.

Edited by Northroader
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Thank you, James, Sunday night was fun, if anyone is studying NHS staffing, there were six round me at the GWH, three on the ambulance, and I think eight at the GRH, so I’ve had my share for this year for sure! They’re all pure gold, too. Just waiting for blood tests to come good before I can escape, and there’s also Covid around.

Yes, my Mum went was recently admitted as an inpatient for some physio. Promptly contracted COVID. But that's hosptitals; unhealthy places fill of sick people! 

Sounds like you're getting a good return on all those National Insurance contributuons. 

Here's hoping you'll be under the wire and home free soonest. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to take the story on a bit further. The downsizing move has come to pass, and we’re moving to a small bungalow near my daughters. We’re busy offloading thirty nine years accumulation of stuff, a great deal to the recycling centre or Oxfam. One thing has got me scratching my head, and that’s my book collection, over 400 assorted titles, all shapes and ages, British, European, and North American. I’ve kept a few, but most will have to go. It’s just too much to do on eBay, and I can’t find a second hand bookseller who’s wanting to get any more in right now. My car has already gone, so I can’t deliver them anymore. (From near J16 of the M4) Model club library? Good home? Being realistic, I don’t expect to make much, if anything, on shifting them. Anyone got any good ideas?

• Friendly/supportive 11

Someone from our local Oxfam bookshop (about 7 or 8 miles away) collected a car boot full of books from us a couple of years ago.  That lot didn't include any railway books (those go to the KESR museum shop at Tenterden) but I've noticed railway titles on sale at the Oxfam bookshop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That sound like very good news. I presume you got the one you had your eye on.  My Parents lived in Prestbury for some years so I knew Cheltenham quite well. I think a bungalow will be much better for you. About the books I had the same issue but on a much smaller scale. As I was a member of Somerset Railway Modellers I donate them to the club they will put any they dont want up for sale at Railex-Taunton their annual show. It wasn't worth the trouble of trying to get money myself. Any raised would go to club funds. You say the car has gone I presume you are not going to drive any more. So the Gloucester 0 Gauge group wouldn't be any use to you.

All the best to you

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2023 at 16:59, Northroader said:

We’re busy offloading thirty nine years accumulation of stuff, a great deal to the recycling centre or Oxfam.

Good to hear that your plans are being realized. Sounds like the right move.

We did a similar downsizing exercise a few years ago. It was challenging to get rid of all the stuff, but looking back there is truthfully not a single item that I miss, and most of it I cannot even remember.

The only problem is that as soon as we had moved, new stuff started accumulating! But with less space at least you have to be more strict.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s no use going round to the Danish embassy in Wootton Bassett and stuffing them in the diplomatic bag then?  
So far the European section of the library has been spoken for. 

The bungalow is in Up Hatherley, Don, an estate on the south side of town.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/05/2023 at 15:59, Northroader said:

The downsizing move has come to pass, and we’re moving to a small bungalow

I do mean this in a friendly, 'bloke's banter' sort of way, honest - is anyone else tickled by the irony of the modeller well known for "downsizing" his rolling stock - literally, especially his American "shorty" stuff - also now downsizing his actual home..?! 😉😁👍👍

Seriiusly, they do say moving house is one of the most stressful experiences; I hope it goes well mate.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3