The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Badly named products and brands..... after some hindsight.

Old Tearaway

Sometimes one wonders what has been substituted in the space between the ears of marketing people normally reserved for a brain.

I've been told, by someone I know in Ireland, that Paddy Power (the bookies) sometimes receives phone calls whenever there is a power cut somewhere in Ireland.

In the run up to bonfire night 2014, Lidl was purveying packets of German made firework rockets called "Uranus".....

Now one can surmise the problem here, Germans are globally renown for not recognising jokes or understanding verbal humour. I personally have spent an hour explaining a 3 line joke to an ex-German fiance many years ago, that she'd heard at work and had spent the rest of the day trying to figure out. She had even written it down to help with the process..... it wasn't even a complex joke. (She wasn't even blonde either).

Now firework rockets have previously been named after planets in our solar system and other celestial objects by various firework manufacturers over the years. Obviously, for good reason Uranus was avoided due to its comedy overtones. The Germans, being bereft of such abilities, logically couldn't understand this avoidance and so chose it.

Fortunately I took a picture of one of the rockets before it was launched.

post-27771-0-64447900-1453164977_thumb.jpg

Finally in a model shop I found a Spanish made item with BUM emblazoned on the box.....

The company that made the item is called BUM Slot (I kid you not!!) and to prove the fact, here is their website:

http://www.bum-german.blogspot.com.es/p/bumslot-slot-cars-132.html

Apart from the comedy value of the business, they do make some excellent products.

post-27771-0-23146400-1453165061_thumb.jpg

....I personally have spent an hour explaining a 3 line joke to an ex-German fiance many years ago....

Did she understand the joke once she was an Ex-German..??

.... take it you meant she's German and eventually was an Ex-Fiance.... ;)

More importantly - what was the joke??

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago, at a motor race in, I think, Portugal, there was a car with visible sponsorship from the well-known manufacturer of coffee machines, Cona. The locals loved it, because eveidently that is their equivalent of a well known English word also having 4 letters and beginning with c..........

Back in the eighties, a well-known Yorkshire-based manufacturer of high-end hi-fi amplification - Sugden - decided to break into the Scandinavian market (which was very buoyant at the time). 

They struck a deal with an importer and started selling their (very good quality) amplifiers in Sweden. Unfortunately their sales were less than stellar. For a while, they couldn't work out why, then someone pointed out that the brand name "Sugden" when pronounced by a local sounded very like the Swedish "avsugning" which is the local translation of "bl*w j*b'.

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

Back in the eighties, a well-known Yorkshire-based manufacturer of high-end hi-fi amplification - Sugden - decided to break into the Scandinavian market (which was very buoyant at the time). 

They struck a deal with an importer and started selling their (very good quality) amplifiers in Sweden. Unfortunately their sales were less than stellar. For a while, they couldn't work out why, then someone pointed out that the brand name "Sugden" when pronounced by a local sounded very like the Swedish "avsugning" which is the local translation of "bl*w j*b'.

:jester:

And they still didn't sell................?

Archived