Oxford Rail - LNER Cattle Wagon

Garethp8873

It's possible that the model is not painted, the NBR 4 plank's grey is unpainted plastic, which is very handy for modifying bits. 

Ah !  -  is that  how they do them for the price !!?! ................... I wonder if Eileen's Emporium have got any Plastikard in L.N.E.R. red oxide ..................

Oh well, all the above has just about put me off buying this model - sorry Oxford, too many needless errors, plus being the 9ft version & hence not really lasting in to the BR period, it's just not suitable for my timeline, shame as I was looking forward to a different cattle wagon.

Mike C

• RMweb Gold

I expect it'll be out next year in the liveries of LMS, GWR, SR, GNR, CR, LBSC, etc.etc.

Sorry but I can't help a rye smile at the Oxford Rail's launch blurb saying 'We intend raising the standard'....    Me thinks - when will this be exactly.

Exactly, however on the one hand people whine for better RTR models but then when items like this are about, anyone pointing out errors is deemed wrong and "it's fine". Nowt as queer as folk.

Maybe they had a different bar that they were raising the standard from and thought Triang was current state of the art?

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would have been better for the sides to be correct but as I'm not going to run mine in front of a mirror I'll not worry about the slots I'll never see both sides at once, the brake cylinder and pipes are an easy fix.

You could be on to something here... Perhaps next time there is announcement they could take this into account. Imagine GWR Toplights being announced by Oxford Rail - to get round all the cries of "Oh but why oh why didn't you do Diagram XYZ???" they could model two completely different diagrams of coach on each side, doubling their sales potential and giving more variety to the modeller at less cost. Combined with GWR livery on one side and BR(W) livery on the other, job's a good'un!

Pictures of both sides ARE now on eHattons ............. I'm sure Oxford never managed to model any of their road vehicles identical both sides so why couldn't they get a wagon mirror-imaged ?

Not sure on the ARE emphasis? They already WERE, hence being able to tell what the problems are with the model.  :scratchhead:

It's a shame to read all this about Oxford Rail's LNER Cattle wagon I must admit :( Currently feeling very disappointed and let down as I was absolutely thrilled about this model when it was announced in January. Hopefully they'll take on the criticism and ensure they do better job next time (optimistic I know but that's how I work)...

As I said to a fellow modeller yesterday, I think I'll continue to stick with Parkside Dundas and their ex-Westykits kit. It maybe an old kit but least I know it's accurately portrays an LNER Cattle wagon, plus I know I can get a 10ft and 9ft fiitted example out of the kit as well...!!

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2

Aye, looks like it will be the same here. Not my favourite kit as I mentioned but you can still make a decent model from it.

Dave.

In the last few months, I've been having a massive cull of RTR wagons mainly because of them not being near accurate to the prototypes that their meant to represent or that the RTR companies put a livery on that would've not been on the wagon in the first place. A prime example being the Bachmann LMS Vans which are rather short in height when compared to the examples Ratio and Dapol do which are more accurate...

At the end of the day if the RTR company in question can't do the wagon properly when compared to a kit company who do the same wagon then I'd rather buy the kit and then spend the extra on getting it built, painted, lettered and varnished. It may cost more and might not have all the detail applied but at least I'd know it's more accurate then a RTR example.

One example of this, comes in the form of a scratchbuilt Great Central Cattle wagon in LNER livery I purchased off ebay and had refurbished a few years ago. Bar the brakegear being the longer example and no Wheelbase length on the underframe, I find it represents the prototype very well. Bachmann on the other hand have done the same wagon but using their LMS version.

post-605-0-33271000-1467843509.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 3

I expect it'll be out next year in the liveries of LMS, GWR, SR, GNR, CR, LBSC, etc.etc.

Sorry but I can't help a rye smile at the Oxford Rail's launch blurb saying 'We intend raising the standard'....    Me thinks - when will this be exactly.

To be fair, silly and avoidable errors notwithstanding, the Oxford model probably IS the most accurate pre-nationalisation cattle wagon on the British ready-to-run market today .......... but I suspect it'll be eclipsed very soon ( "on or after 15th July" last time I looked ).

To be fair, silly and avoidable errors notwithstanding, the Oxford model probably IS the most accurate pre-nationalisation cattle wagon on the British ready-to-run market today .......... but I suspect it'll be eclipsed very soon ( "on or after 15th July" last time I looked ).

You're right Wickham. Bar the missing adjustable partition and vacuum cylinder it would have been the most accurate version of a cattle wagon to date. As you say once Hornby release their Maunsell and Bullied SR Cattle wagons (release date now being 26th October for all four models), I also imagine the title will go to them.

You're right Wickham. Bar the missing adjustable partition and vacuum cylinder it would have been the most accurate version of a cattle wagon to date. As you say once Hornby release their Maunsell and Bullied SR Cattle wagons (release date now being 26th October for all four models), I also imagine the title will go to them.

October !!?! - nobody's told a certain Merseyside emporium who still list them as July & August OR AFTER ......... quite a while after.

October !!?! - nobody's told a certain Merseyside emporium who still list them as July & August OR AFTER ......... quite a while after.

I've been keeping a tag on the SR Cattle Wagon since they were announced in November last year. Whilst I'm slightly annoyed at the sametime it helps me with the budget so I can't complain...!! Also the funding for Oxford's inaccurate model can now go to Hornby's 'more accurate' model... ;)

Edited by Garethp8873

BTW guys, I probably know what the answer is going to be but I'd rather ask. I was speaking to my friend in regards to the missing partitions this evening and he was wondering whether the wagon depots for the LNER would've kept the partitions in storage and only used them when the cattle wagons were being used?

I for one am not parachuting onto anyone but in the case of this cattle wagon, we are where we are, it's on sale and the move now is to improve it ~ if folk feel so inclined. A pal of mine collects model buses and if i had a pound for every occasion he told me a bus or coach was 95% of the way with a 5% stupid letdown, I would be a wealthy man. I have always taken RTR to be mass-produced toys, inexpensive and always worth a shufty to see what can be done to them.

And on that basis, I have ordered some. 

When it comes to ER variety, I shall not be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame about the design errors as the chassis has some nice details, apart from the missing brake cylinder.

post-6821-0-69041000-1468146619_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-48334600-1468146618_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what the pipe next to the coupling mount is supposed to be? It doesn't line up with the vacuum pipe on the body, but that could be wrong.

It's a shame about the design errors as the chassis has some nice details, apart from the missing brake cylinder.

attachicon.gifO_C_1.JPG

attachicon.gifO_C_2.JPG

Does anyone know what the pipe next to the coupling mount is supposed to be? It doesn't line up with the vacuum pipe on the body, but that could be wrong.

I suspect that the pipes are likely to be representations of effluent drainage pipes, for the removal of liquid material. The Bachmann Mk1 horsebox has a similar pipe mid way under the animal area.

Easy to sort the wrong side, simply run them on a oval layout  and you will never see the other side. :jester:

How can you get to this level of underframe detail and ignore the Vacumn Cylinder is simply beyond belief  :paint:  :paint: