Oxford Rail - LNER Cattle Wagon

Garethp8873

Been there - done that !! The Mainline moulding does NOT like solvent.

That's why I used Cyano. It was fine for about nine months then suffered its attack of the bananas. It even has a mate who was an industrial chemist scratching his head.

That's why I used Cyano. It was fine for about nine months then suffered its attack of the bananas. It even has a mate who was an industrial chemist scratching his head.

I wonder if it's the (Cambrian?) solebars that are shrinking .... pulling the body moulding into an arc?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 4 months later...

I've now got four repainted and refurbished Oxford Rail LNER Cattle wagons awaiting lettering and running numbers.

So far I'm looking at either 150969, 153516, 156203 or 156415 to go onto three of the four wagons. As for the fourth, I'm looking at having that one done as LNER 150732 as according to the photo on P.292 of LNER Wagons Vol 4B.

Would someone be able to double-confirm that these running numbers would be correct for me please.

• RMweb Gold

150969 is ok as would be 150927 (not in your list) as per pictures in Tatlow's "Pictorial Record of LNER Wagons". Sorry, there's no further info on lots or numbering in this book though so can't confirm the rest of your list.

• 2 weeks later...

Update... I now have four Oxford Rail LNER Cattle wagons. Fully refurbished and in pre-1936 LNER livery. I have two Dia.39s (150969 and 156415) and two Dia.40s (150732 and 156203). There is a fifth example which is 150878 but I haven't got a photo of that one yet...

Garethp8873.

post-605-0-53275800-1494848551_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-20112400-1494848558_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just bought a couple of these wagons from Cheltenham Model Centre, and they are correctly liveried. In other words, no need to cut and fill, repaint nor re-lebel

seanmcs.

Can you post photos of these, both sides?

Not being keen enough to build wagons, I buy whatever fits the bill for my goods requirements and have found the Oxford wagons pretty damn good. The accuracy weak point is accepted, but I find them a darn sight better purchase than Dapol wagons with their odd dimensions and drooping NEM sockets which make setting Kadee height a joke. In fact I have glued sponge near one axle to prevent them being drawn forward by uncoupling magnets and uncoupling. This despite loads of weight being added. For some reason I cannot fathom, Oxford and Bachmann wagons do not do this, or haven't so far.

Edited by coachmann

Without wanting to drag this off topic, I often wonder what Dapol are doing to cause so many problems with their wagons, I have to replace nearly all the wheels to stop derailments, the couplings droop, the hooks fall off and they hate being pushed. The reason I have so many is all the useful commissions from Simply Southern. As you say, no problems from Oxford wagons as far as performance goes =)

• RMweb Gold

I just bought a couple of these wagons from Cheltenham Model Centre, and they are correctly liveried. In other words, no need to cut and fill, repaint nor re-lebel

Hopefully not the badly applied "limewash" version which would never have been seen on that diagram (if the 1927 first build date from earlier in this thread is correct).

• RMweb Gold

Quick question guys. I've got a few Hornby cattle wagons but for variety I was thinking of adding a couple of these to the rake. But would one have ventured on to the souther region?

Big james

This is the sort of thing where period is important.  By and large, and I do not intend this to be taken as an absolute rule, in pre-nationalisation days such a wagon would not AFAIK be part of general pooling arrangements, so would mostly run on it's own company's system.  But an escapee would be found in the case of a load of cattle destined for somewhere off that system, so cattle being despatched from, say, Norwich, to, say, Salisbury would turn up in an LNER wagon(s) at Salisbury from Norwich, and, once the beasts were unloaded, the wagon(s) would be sent back empty to the LNER by the next ordinary freight service once it/they had been cleaned out and hosed down.  So, for this period, you could certainly include 'venturers' onto the Southern, from any of the other 3 railways, so long as the majority are SR vehicles.

Post nationalisation, things were different in that, apart from specific circuits, all wagons worked everywhere. Within a few months of the start of 1948, you would see cattle wagons from all of the big four at any cattle dock in the course of ordinary working, and after a while even the circuit wagons like the Fishguard and Holyhead rakes were infiltrated with other company's stock.  But this particular wagon, a 9' wheelbase LNER, would have been pretty rare by 1948 and not many would have lasted much longer, as BR standardised on 10' wheelbase for all 'XP' rated stock, which included cattle wagons.  Any unfitted ones would have been particularly short lived, if there were any left at that time.  

It is probable that the LNER would have finished the process they'd started in the late 1930s of scrapping 9' wheelbase cattle wagons had not the war intervened and delayed it.

If you are looking for variety you'd probably be on safer ground with the Dapol/Kitmaster BR standard cattle wagon construction kit.  This is shake the box easy and, ballasted properly, makes up into a nice little runner.  But of course your interpretation of Rule 1 has to be the final arbiter here!

From A History of GWR Goods Wagons, Atkins, Beard, etc.

All cattle wagons apart from GWR ones were pooled from 11 August 1925.

GWR ones were pooled from 31 May 1927 and withdrawn from pooling on 31 December 1927.

LNER, LMS, SR and Metropolitan FITTED cattle wagons were withdrawn from 1 September 1933.

All cattle wagons pooled from 3 September 1939.

Jason

Without wanting to drag this off topic, I often wonder what Dapol are doing to cause so many problems with their wagons, I have to replace nearly all the wheels to stop derailments, the couplings droop, the hooks fall off and they hate being pushed. The reason I have so many is all the useful commissions from Simply Southern. As you say, no problems from Oxford wagons as far as performance goes =)

As someone who has returned to oo gauge,I bought a lot of Dapol wagons,(special liverys) and they all ran like sh****, so i got rid of them,and i will not buy anything from Dapol again,

I have just bought a few from oxford,inc the cattle wagon and they run super,for half the price, 

Edited by mswjr

I'm an Apple user and used to sliding photos onto messages.

I have good photos of both sides of the revised Oxford LENR cattle wagons we looked at on Sunday in our P4 group. But they won't stick to this message.

Any ideas, please?

seanmcs

Go on image editor on here on top bar.

Open app

go file to your photos

click on file it will appear on screen

if file is large you will need to reduce size

save to your computer

go to new post click full editor

click on your picture then click attach 

your photo is at the bottom

click cursor on the blank post screen then click file on bottom of screen, 

your photo should then be on the post screen , same as typing for text

click on submit post and it should be on here.

Go on image editor on here on top bar.

Open app

go file to your photos

click on file it will appear on screen

if file is large you will need to reduce size

save to your computer

go to new post click full editor

click on your picture then click attach 

your photo is at the bottom

click cursor on the blank post screen then click file on bottom of screen, 

your photo should then be on the post screen , same as typing for text

click on submit post and it should be on here.

Miklner:

Thanks but maybe because of Apple, I can't follow that routine.

Please send me an email to: seanmcs@iprimius.com.au and if you agree, I'll email the photos to you and kindly post them for me.

Thanks.

seanmcs

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As someone who has returned to oo gauge,I bought a lot of Dapol wagons,(special liverys) and they all ran like sh****, so i got rid of them,and i will not buy anything from Dapol again,

I have just bought a few from oxford,inc the cattle wagon and they run super,for half the price, 

There was an issue with Dapol wheel profiles which made them prone to derailment on the Peco Code 100 track we ran them on. I don't know how long Dapol were using them, but all our problem wagons were bought about four or five years ago. We only stumbled on the cause when we fitted a surplus set to replace the plastic wheels on an old Airfix wagon, which immediately started to play up just like our Dapol ones. Swapping the old plastic wheels into a Dapol wagon cured its tendency to hop off. 

After that, we replaced the wheels on all the "troublesome trucks" with new Bachmann ones and, without exception, they stopped derailing.

I bought a special edition Burnham Club wagon on Saturday, so I know it's current production. I haven't had chance to run it much but it hasn't come off yet. The wheel treads appear to be properly coned (the old ones were very flat) so it looks like the problem has been addressed.

I can't comment on couplings because everything I deal with gets them binned in favour of Sprat & Winkles or Kadees depending on which layout they are destined for.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling