Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Looking at images on this page,

http://oxfordrail.com/76/OR76MK3.htm

It suggests there is no tinting at all. I hope this is incorrect as it will look awful having clear windows. Fingers crossed they are not finalised!

Indeed, and that is my worry. Roof hatches etc. on Hornby Mk3s can be fixed but I am not confident that I can tint that glass effectively and consistently.

Edit: one thing I would say is that the cost difference between tinted / untinted glass must be peanuts. If Oxford don't do it I am afraid that it will show a complete lack of interest in actually listening to customer feedback.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Latest news was in post #438, which meets the general requirement for tinted glazing and optional lighting.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107460-oxford-rail-announces-oo-gauge-mk3-coaches/?p=2572034

That was some time ago and the specification on their website still makes no mention of tinting. With respect, I am not going to commit money on the basis that they were quoted by somebody as saying the glass will be smoked on here.

It is a shame that, unlike some of the other players, they are not actually interacting with us more.

Roy

I contacted OR regarding window tinting and got the following reply:

"It’s always interesting getting people’s view on this. We are tinting the windows – and as you can guess I’ve had requests to make them near black, mid tint and completely clear!"

Seems fairly clear to me (ho ho). My bold, by the way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For people who wish to tint windows, you can buy smoke tinted clear self adhesive vinyl sheets very cheaply on Ebay, you can get various shades including brown, light grey and dark black.

Have you tried them? I used something like that a few years ago and it was an unmitigated disaster. It was worse than trying to get a mobile phone screen on as the film just didn't want to fit into the corners properly where the glazing was not flat. Hoping things have improved.

Riy

ideally OR should be showing off some samples of the tinting in a coach if they have doubts.  not sure the point of having almost black glazing.

the tint only needs to be very subtle.

i cant understand why this is even a point of discussion when id expect OR to have bigger fish to fry than weighing up tint levels - surely this is a basic level of a Mk3s specification.   I can maybe understand discussions about interior colour schemes or end detail but not body shape or glazing.

they also need to confirm if the tinting will only cover the main windows as the drop lights were not tinted AFAIK.

And there's always Tamiya's Smoke Paint as well which is very useful for creating tinted windows. But I have faith in the Oxford Rail Mk3s and no doubt we will see a model shortly.

And put it this way, They'll still be better than Hornby's efforts - Which produced things like FGW Mk3s in clear windows in one batch, then fully tinted the next.

• RMweb Gold

And put it this way, They'll still be better than Hornby's efforts - Which produced things like FGW Mk3s in clear windows in one batch, then fully tinted the next.

That is a little harsh - the feedback was that people wanted tinted and Hornby obliged. They could have carried on with clear for consistency and ignored the customer.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I'd like to throw in another tuppence-worth here.

In the past I have collected continental models from manufacturers such as LS Models.

Their coaches have extremely highly-detailed interiors and to make these visible, they only tint the windows slightly on the model. This tends to allow too much 'light' into the vehicle and make it look toy-like. Personally, I'd prefer a decent amount of tinting rather than (usually) passenger-less, highly-detailed interiors, which aren't visible from a normal viewing distance, anyway.

My personal view is that window-tinting should match the prototype just as much as livery colours do.

I'm not a fan of lighting but can see the attraction for some people. I'd prefer to see it as an optional add-on rather than an obligatory, unwanted (to me) feature.

As usual, I'm only speaking from my own standpoint. It must be extremely difficult for manufacturers to decide how to deal with such matters when bringing a new model to market. 

So many different opinions...  :scratchhead:

I hope also to see the fine sliver rims around the windows on the Intercity variants. These should also be included if they do Virgin HST trailers in the future, as well as a couple of other liveries (I think at least one of the Great Western liveries over the years had silver rimmed windows).

I never understood why Virgin West Coast loco hauled mk3s did NOT have silver rimmed windows, but Virgin HST trailers DID. Any ideas?

The images on the OR site are looking promising in many ways, however :)

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I can't see OR getting any of this wrong, especially after all the trouble they've gone to getting everything else right! They've clearly done their home work and they certainly look the part.

They've also been brave in producing a wide range of liveries and I've no doubt they'll sell like hot cakes. Hornby have sold thousands of theirs and they're not the best for detail so I'm looking forward to the HST variants.

sorry if already mentioned but Oxford say the internal seating layout will be be prototypical to each carriage produced, thats good rather than one size fits not many. So while the images on their site show an IC MK3 with all tables I assume one with a mix of tables and airline will appear in time? I must admit (and I assume I am wrong) i dont recall any all tables STD class IC swallow mk3's? The site images might just be pre-production mock ups etc.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium

Personally I would read that as "2+2 for standard class, 2+1 for first and a catering area for the buffets", rather than literally being prototypical to that exact variant. Very possibly wrong though.

Personally, I can't see OR getting any of this wrong, especially after all the trouble they've gone to getting everything else right! They've clearly done their home work and they certainly look the part.

That's my hope/feeling too, but still I thought similar with the Dapol 73 at a similar stage, which were indeed fantastic... until they put the paint on...  :banghead:

Brilliant coaches.

Just emailed Oxford about the lack of aluminium window surrounds on the pre production models.. hopefully it's a pre production mistake!! As it's terribly obvious on the swallow version, and they'll be a right pig to paint on afterwards (especially on a whole rake). I'll post the response on here. 

Alex

Brilliant coaches.

Just emailed Oxford about the lack of aluminium window surrounds on the pre production models.. hopefully it's a pre production mistake!! As it's terribly obvious on the swallow version, and they'll be a right pig to paint on afterwards (especially on a whole rake). I'll post the response on here. 

Alex

To quote my previous post, had a nice chat with Tim from Oxford rail on Thursday. The unpainted ali window frames are not an oversight, both versions of intercity/swallow liveries are being produced. This first version has painted frames, as per some rakes, and the unpainted silver window frame versions will follow in due course. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That was some time ago and the specification on their website still makes no mention of tinting. With respect, I am not going to commit money on the basis that they were quoted by somebody as saying the glass will be smoked on here.

It is a shame that, unlike some of the other players, they are not actually interacting with us more.

Roy

Point taken Roy. On that score since the Dean Goods rumpus on this forum I think they have probably retired to lick their wounds.It is a great pity but an entirely understandable form of damage limitation.Something needs to happen to repair channels of communication.

Given that the planned release of these is not that far away, I too wish Oxford would confirm the specification. Will they have clear or tinted glass, provision for lighting, be lit or have none?

I like lighting and would prefer there to be some provision for it but if they don't have it I will add if. The tinting is, however, a deal breaker. Until that is confirmed I will not be ordering any.

Roy

Roy, see my post from a while ago...

I've just received a very rapid response from OR (re. tinting). I also asked about their current views concerning interior lighting:

We have specificed the model with smoked glazing. And the samples I had in alst week were a nice darker colour. So looking good.

I’m experimenting with lighting – not sure if we will fit it as standard yet. It will depend on cost, reliability and also how long the development takes.

In my limited contact with them so far, OR have been very quick to respond to my emails. Clearly the lighting issue is not resolved yet, but it looks very much like tinting is already confirmed.

• RMweb Gold

Roy, see my post from a while ago...

I've just received a very rapid response from OR (re. tinting). I also asked about their current views concerning interior lighting:

We have specificed the model with smoked glazing. And the samples I had in alst week were a nice darker colour. So looking good.

I’m experimenting with lighting – not sure if we will fit it as standard yet. It will depend on cost, reliability and also how long the development takes.

In my limited contact with them so far, OR have been very quick to respond to my emails. Clearly the lighting issue is not resolved yet, but it looks very much like tinting is already confirmed.

As I noted I appreciate that there has been communication with Oxford regarding tinting, but none of this has made it on to their website. Is it so hard for them to actually update the spec and images to show their intentions?

Roy

As I noted I appreciate that there has been communication with Oxford regarding tinting, but none of this has made it on to their website. Is it so hard for them to actually update the spec and images to show their intentions?

Roy

No, I must admit I'm a bit surprised at that myself. They seem good at communicating with individuals but not so good at relaying information to modellers as a group generally.

Has it occurred to anyone that the final specification has not yet been decided? Oxford move much quicker than most, leaving SLW and Bachmann/LT Museum out of the equation. They do not generally announce until tooling is beginning. Of course, the fine detail like shade of window tint, silver frames on windows, lighting installed or not, are finishing issues.

Although Oxford consult a number of informed sources, and view some of the numerous forum and messaging sites, with the size of team that they have, I do not see them engaging with social media committees as part of their process. Be interesting to see if they drop the ball on the Mk3s.

I have worked on a whole range of major engineering projects where specifications for individual tasks were finalised on a monthly cycle looking 3 months ahead, on projects spread over several years. That seemed to work well in the 1:1 world.

• RMweb Gold

No, I must admit I'm a bit surprised at that myself. They seem good at communicating with individuals but not so good at relaying information to modellers as a group generally.

Please read my post 498 for a likely reason for this situation.To repeat there is a recent "history" on another Oxford Rail thread.