Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

There's no way OR are going to change the tooling now......they'd be completely up sh!t creek without a paddle! So now we have the best value for money MK3s......that are still wrong!  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

So it looks like we'll be needing some Joxfordbry Coaches for a proper version  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra

No Sean, your pretty well spot on with your dimensions - having got access to the profile drawings and spurred on by your measurements, I've finally tried to get my head round where OR went wrong and listed them in comparison with the prototype dimension and the other Mk3 models.  

attachicon.gifMk3a dims.PNG

just as thought the width over the bottom of the modules is a good 2.7mm too wide, giving that visible lack of slope in - It's compounded though by the super-skinny bogies!

​As many people have said already, neither Jouef or Hornby got the Mk3 / Mk3a's that wrong the first time round (with apologies to Hornby "shorty" owners).

Thanks for putting that up Bob. Makes me a bit relieved that my own measurements weren't that far off the mark.

6" to wide doesn't sound a lot, but when you combine that with the skinny bogies like you say, it makes the whole coach look terribly top heavy. At least I now know exactly how much to cut out from the centre of the module - 2.7mm.

cheers

Andy

• Like 1

So the update, there is no update, no responsive to my email. Went to the Oxford stand a couple of times yesterday at Glasgow but they were busy in having long conversations with people so I never got the chance to ask if they will be using the same colour of grey on the ScotRail version, am hoping not but suspect they will. The blue version on display did not have the CDL so am assuming the ScotRail versions won't either.

If anyone does manage to speak to Oxford about the shade of grey, would be pleased to hear the response.

I had a chat with Mr Oxford at Model Rail Scotland, the plan is to use a favourable shade which will match the products they are likely to be sandwiched by, ie; DBSO and a class 47. So go figure.. I think that's a good move. I'll be buying a scotrail rake for definite. 

• Like 3

I had a chat with Mr Oxford at Model Rail Scotland, the plan is to use a favourable shade which will match the products they are likely to be sandwiched by, ie; DBSO and a class 47. So go figure.. I think that's a good move. I'll be buying a scotrail rake for definite. 

Alex, does that mean that they will be correcting future INTERCITY variants as well?  :yes:

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

Thats good news. After the release of the Intercity ones I cancelled my pre-order of all the Scotrail ones just in case they used the same dark and light greys! I'm still not going to re-order them until i've seen them though because the intercity ones have got me very wary

• Like 2

I’m just looking forward to the Stobart branded ones when they appear. Hopefully they will be straight forward to debrand ready for renumbering and DRS branding adding to recreate the Floodex service between Workington and Maryport.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

I’m just looking forward to the Stobart branded ones when they appear. Hopefully they will be straight forward to debrand ready for renumbering and DRS branding adding to recreate the Floodex service between Workington and Maryport.

Thanks

Mark

If life has taught me only one thing Mark, nothing is never straightforward!!

cheers

Andy

I see the restaurant first has arrived is there a reason the Mk3a did not have the red strip above the restaurant part as most HST and other stock had?

Picked mine up today, looks great, steps still an issue so nothing changed there, all round starting to build up a great rake of mk3a's,

Has anyone attempted renumbering any of their coaches? How easy is it? Do the numbers come off without much  effort?

Respray and detail of mine on post #1250.

I stripped the whole coach, but found that the paint fell off after the dot4/IPA bath, so can't imagine the numbers being any different - just be careful when removing them bearing in mind how easy it was to remove the paint......

cheers

Andy

Handy Tip No.1 - If you're going to respray the Mk3A's and to avoid them showing through a subsequent coat of paint, you'll need to remove the INTERCITY branding, the Vehicle No. and the coach reservation letters.  I found that a thin coat of DOT4 synthetic brake fluid (cheap Carlube stuff from a hardware store) removes them easily without damaging the underlying finish.  Brush it on, just over the transfer and wait about 5 minutes minimum (10 minutes maybe for the reservation letters) and they'll just dry brush off without absolutely no effect on the main body colours or finish.  Wash the sides down with some soap & water and once dry, Bob's your uncle :) Handy also if you just want to re-number / letter them...  The usual disclaimers apply - it worked for me!

The trick if your only removing the lettering as opposed to stripping the whole vehicle was (apart from using Dot4 brake fluid) to brush it only over the transfer and you should find it'll lift just the number and not the underlying finish. The bristle of the brush were enough to disintegrate it. Don't forget the cleaning bit after.

The trick if your only removing the lettering as opposed to stripping the whole vehicle was (apart from using Dot4 brake fluid) to brush it only over the transfer and you should find it'll lift just the number and not the underlying finish. The bristle of the brush were enough to disintegrate it. Don't forget the cleaning bit after.

Thanks Bob. Only be taking off the coach numbers as and when the Scotrail versions arrive to make up a full rake. (3-4 TSO CO DBSO). So only really doing 2-3 TSO's. 

Oh that's ages away!!!!

They seem to have taken onboard some of the criticism regarding the intercity colours, and are looking to better match the colours with the Bachmann Scotrail livery.... think I read that in another thread somewhere.....

So, i’m Delighted and happy to wait a bit longer for them.....

Are you looking at the separation between the suspension bag housing and the spring plank Andy? at best all I can see is that the gap between the top and bottom is a bit tight - at tare it was set with the levelling arrows 23mm apart and when deflated one fell below the other by about 15mm - not a lot of difference and to be honest not worth the hassle getting the right spacing - at least OR have the traction rods level and they're the only one's so far to model the lateral control rods on the ends - and handed correctly!

12462691314_eb79c1588b_b.jpg

BT10 Bogie by (Mick Baker)rooster

​(before anyone says it - yes, like the incorrect OR Mk3a's it's got BR WSP equipment) :)

Thats KBRS WSP not BR ,