Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

Does anybody have any pictures of the Blue and Grey MK3's? It would be great to see pictures of the 1st 2nd  and Buffet

Are they doing a First Class Buffet as well? (as per other versions)

Many thanks.

Chris

I'm pretty sure that Blue/Grey predated classifying the seated area of the Buffet as First Class

Hello all

One of the details on the Intercity Mark3a coaches is the coach letter next to the door.

Maybe my memory is letting me down but I don’t remember these coaches with designated letters as they were not fixed rakes.

I think that a train of these coaches tended to have a white square of paper with a letter printed on it and stuck on the inside of the door window.

Have I got this right or is my memory indeed letting me down!!!

John

Hi All,

I understand that given time, Oxford will be bringing out a variety of liveries on their superb Mk3 coaches.

Has anyone heard anything about the Royal coaches & when these will be produced & as a footnote, will the Queen's carriage 2903 have the double doors as per the prototype?

Questions, questions....

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I understand that given time, Oxford will be bringing out a variety of liveries on their superb Mk3 coaches.

Has anyone heard anything about the Royal coaches & when these will be produced & as a footnote, will the Queen's carriage 2903 have the double doors as per the prototype?

Questions, questions....

I believe they did say correct Royal coaches would be released in time. It would require new tooling though so I can’t see it happening in the near future. I do hope so as Hurst always seem to be sold out of their etched sides. Edited by Hilux5972

Hi All,

Not in the near future and no one knows anything. Everyone on here know just as much as you. If people do know more they're most likely and contractually obligated to keep quiet about it.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone now when the Blue and Grey MK3's will be released?

Best,

Chris

They seem to be slower than Noah’s ark currently, the coaches arrive 1 by 1, and seem to be at a rate of 1 a month-Ish.

Working on the laws of current averages, 7x intercity coaches = 7 months, as Scotrail is Intercity in a different guise i’d Imagine that would follow, so that’s 3 more.. suggests by November for a blue and grey coach.

Of course anything can happen to plus or minus it... how long is a Chinese piece of string ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

One of the details on the Intercity Mark3a coaches is the coach letter next to the door.

Maybe my memory is letting me down but I don’t remember these coaches with designated letters as they were not fixed rakes.

I think that a train of these coaches tended to have a white square of paper with a letter printed on it and stuck on the inside of the door window.

Have I got this right or is my memory indeed letting me down!!!

John

It rather depend on what you mean by "Intercity"

Please remember that for the final few years of its existence, the business used fixed formation trainsets. That includes the likes of Cross country services - not just routes using DVTs / DBSOs or HSTs

While obviously a vehicle defect could see one swapped out for another (a practice that still happens and can cause some odd situations like a downgraded for the duration 1st class trailer running in place of a standard one in a HST service), the intention is there would be no messing round with each 'set' and as such having the coach letters painted on the side was not normally a problem.

Edited by phil-b259

I'm pretty sure that Blue/Grey predated classifying the seated area of the Buffet as First Class

Not so  see link https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7620732316/in/album-72157604142594351/ not all the remaining non executive liveried Mk 3 RFB had the yellow band applied as this was  done over one weekend at depot level  due to the introduction of the weekend first supplement.

Argh !  Yet again some missing door steps on OR MK3's  - anyone had any luck getting spares, or even a response to an e-mail ? 

I've noticed some coaches come with the steps loose in the detail bag (a better idea) along with the Air pipes, others come fitted  - all 4 if your lucky !  

The first ones I got had shed their steps all over the place. One turned up in the retailer’s box and one, eventually, in the carpet. The last two I got had all the steps in place but they rapidly began to fall off. At least they weren’t difficult to find. A touch of superglue appled with a pin sorted them out.

One of the magazines (can't remember which atm) reported that the steps were intentionally unglued to allow for the removal of the body by those who wished to fit passengers or lighting etc. Some of mine came from a large Yorkshire based retailer, all of these had the steps in the detailing bag. These also had a small green sticker on the box, I imagine therefore this was done by the shop.

HTH

Wild Boar Fell

So even though I was not born with the old ICS livery I have a theory as to why the colouring looks wrong. Film photography, one of the side effects of film photography vs digital photography is that film makes things naturally warmer. It may be that the Hornby/lima colours were taken from photographs of dirty carriages, looking very yellow vs OR possibly using the correct colour codes. This can be seen in the picture of the original liveried HST power car that was done very recently. All the colours look much brighter than any photos from when they originally launched. 

On a side note, I prefer the whiter grey, the darker grey always looked dirty to me even when clean! 

• RMweb Gold

So even though I was not born with the old ICS livery I have a theory as to why the colouring looks wrong. Film photography, one of the side effects of film photography vs digital photography is that film makes things naturally warmer. It may be that the Hornby/lima colours were taken from photographs of dirty carriages, looking very yellow vs OR possibly using the correct colour codes. This can be seen in the picture of the original liveried HST power car that was done very recently. All the colours look much brighter than any photos from when they originally launched.

On a side note, I prefer the whiter grey, the darker grey always looked dirty to me even when clean!

Why do we keep coming back to this one? It is wrong, pretty much everybody who remembers them first-hand me included) and who worked on them say it is wrong.

Sorry.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

Argh !  Yet again some missing door steps on OR MK3's  - anyone had any luck getting spares, or even a response to an e-mail ? 

I've noticed some coaches come with the steps loose in the detail bag (a better idea) along with the Air pipes, others come fitted  - all 4 if your lucky !  

I may have been a bit hasty in one of my last posts praising Oxford for sorting out the steps, as mentioned by other members possibly just lucky as they were still an issue, but the 5th release was the best of the bunch for me all steps complete, secured and do feel well attached. The one before two steps were missing and the two what was there were allergic to the body, refused to stay on, in the end I took it back to my local model shop for exchange, out of 3-4 of them not one had complete steps! in the end they robbed, sorry acquired 2 and included them with the new coach, still an on-going issue which may get sorted on the Blue/Grey's as I can't see anything happening on the 6th release to resolve this.

Still a cracking coach, not getting involved with the colour issue, but personal opinion I would like it if they released a few more as I would like a 9 to 10 coach rake,

Same with the Blue/Grey's, Royal Train is a must for me if and when it's released, and why not some undecorated/primed so we can apply our own livery's? Doesn't hurt to ask,

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic.....I contacted Oxford to ask if they'd sell the steps and detailing parts in a separate pack.....a good way for them to make extra money, as I'd buy them by the truck load for my Hornby MK3s.......the reply form Oxford......I'm still waiting!

Edited by scoobyra