RMweb

The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

I'm not sure I would want to steal a title idea from our esteemed solicitor friend. :jester:

We could always collectivity pray for him to be in a position to be able to get CA running and restart his thread.

Gary

Afternoon Gary,

Like the plan for the L Tank,used to have one in Photo Grey but couldn't justify running it on the grounds of it's relatively modern age and the fact that it dwarved everything else around it! Just saw your post regarding the SECR H and have to say I remember being on Brighton Station at a very young age and seeing the Brighton Works Terrier in Stroudley IEG which has stayed with me for ever and prompted my interest in LBSCR circa 1905.

All the best from a very cold and wet West Wales.

Craig.

• Like 3

Thanks Craig,

Don't suppose you have any pictures of your old one?? Would love to see it if you do.

Gary

Hi Gary,,

I'll have a look through my old rubbish and see if there are any pix of the L. Got a feeling a lot of stuff went awol when we moved up here from Cornwall a few years ago. Incidentally new baseboard is knocked together along with track plan...once the electrics are sorted[not my strong point!!!] and the track is laid and ballasted I'll send you some pix and start a thread . The layout will be named Itcham [itchenor and Bosham...coo,that's some clever].

Cheers,

Craig.

• Like 3

Ooohhh exciting times! I look forward to seeing your layout develop.

Gary

As an aside Craig, where are you located. Would like to know more about Itcham, as I am doing Midhurst LBSCR as it was in 1866.

Can you contact me offline at tepedekiev@aol.com please?

Michael

• Like 1

As an aside Craig, where are you located. Would like to know more about Itcham, as I am doing Midhurst LBSCR as it was in 1866.

Can you contact me offline at tepedekiev@aol.com please?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Will e you today. Sorry to hijack your thread Gary.

Craig

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well while I wait for my server to restore itself (see my status) I may as well post my update now.

For most of last week I didn't think I was going to have an update to post due to lack of materials, however on Friday I remembered that I had point rodding that I could fit. So while it may not be 100% prototypical (please do let me know) Oak Hill now has the beginnings of point rodding!

Divers eye view as you come out of the tunnel:
post-22762-0-91030900-1491920694_thumb.jpg

and a slightly closer view:
post-22762-0-97531500-1491920695_thumb.jpg

and a view of the rodding at the point and trap:
post-22762-0-83666600-1491920696_thumb.jpg

I also found somewhere for my 4th person please tell me what you think:
post-22762-0-60348600-1491920697_thumb.jpg

and a drivers eye view leaving the yard:
post-22762-0-38754700-1491920698_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for looking,

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 5

Well while I wait for my server to restore itself (see my status) I may as well post my update now.

For most of last week I didn't think I was going to have an update to post due to lack of materials, however on Friday I remembered that I had point rodding that I could fit. So while it may not be 100% prototypical (please do let me know) Oak Hill now has the beginnings of point rodding!

Divers eye view as you come out of the tunnel:

pointRodding1.jpg

and a slightly closer view:

pointRodding2.jpg

and a view of the rodding at the point and trap:

pointRodding3.jpg

I also found somewhere for my 4th person please tell me what you think:

pointRodding4.jpg

and a drivers eye view leaving the yard:

pointRodding5.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for looking,

Gary

Evening Gary,

Looking through the John Minnis LBSCR book all the early point rodding looks like large diameter round gas pipe so IMHO some rodding is better than no rodding! Yours looks pretty round to me. Don't know about the gubbins coming from the signal box but I am sure someone out there will put us right.

Itcham coming along slowly as her indoors is having a new kitchen fitted in lieu of the aborted house move. Choo choo time and money under severe pressure! Having fun putting together platform from bits and pieces but can't finish until Mr Redutex makes some weathered Flemish Bond sticky back plastic. [please tell me that's about right for platforms a la LBSCR circa 1905. Still not finished the 6 wheel Bachmann coaches...not happy with the roofs yet.

Keep up the good work,

The Steyning Stinker [remember that?] in soggy Wales.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig,

Unfortunately the rodding is square. I was aware that LBSCR rodding was round but thought much as you do that "some rodding is better than no rodding" It is actually the Wills / Ratio kit which I believe is BR standard rodding. I have followed the instructions on that so my rodding may well be accurate for BR! (I'm only 3 letters out. :jester: )

Glad to hear there is progress, looking forward to seeing it. I have a feeling that the LBSCR used English Bond for all it's brickwork, but lets be honest who is going to notice, only one of my buildings and one section of retaining wall are English Bond, go on tell me which lol. My platform fronts are the Ratio? kit for brick platform fronts that come with their station building. as for platform tops these would be gravel I have used the chinchilla dust sprinkled on black gloss method for mine, and it looks incredible. I got the Chinchilla dust and paint off eBay for less than as fiver, and have enough left to do my other layout when I get round to it. Can't wait to see what you have done with the Bachmann 6-wheelers.

Unfortunately I am too young to remember the Steyning Stinker (I won't tell you how many years before I was born the Steyning line was closed lol)

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Unfortunately the rodding is square. I was aware that LBSCR rodding was round but thought much as you do that "some rodding is better than no rodding" It is actually the Wills / Ratio kit which I believe is BR standard rodding. I have followed the instructions on that so my rodding may well be accurate for BR! (I'm only 3 letters out. :jester: )

Glad to hear there is progress, looking forward to seeing it. I have a feeling that the LBSCR used English Bond for all it's brickwork, but lets be honest who is going to notice, only one of my buildings and one section of retaining wall are English Bond, go on tell me which lol. My platform fronts are the Ratio? kit for brick platform fronts that come with their station building. as for platform tops these would be gravel I have used the chinchilla dust sprinkled on black gloss method for mine, and it looks incredible. I got the Chinchilla dust and paint off eBay for less than as fiver, and have enough left to do my other layout when I get round to it. Can't wait to see what you have done with the Bachmann 6-wheelers.

Unfortunately I am too young to remember the Steyning Stinker (I won't tell you how many years before I was born the Steyning line was closed lol)

Gary

Evening again Gary,

English Bond, great,I'll get some next week when the pension is refilled. My platforms started off life as Triang many years ago. They have gravel tops like yours but are vegetarian having no chinchilla used in their construction.

Too young for the Steyning Stinker? How about the Lancing Belle? 

Going for a large glass of Claret and a snooze now...missed my siesta today.

Craig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Too young for the Steyning Stinker? How about the Lancing Belle?

Nope, to give you a hint if I were to model the time I was born I may as well just empty a tube of Aquafresh along the tracks :jester:

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

The man n the signal box looks fine.  There are so few different figures it is so easy to always have the same ones doing the same things but this one is different.

Did you really grind up chinchillas for your layout?  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Did you really grind up chinchillas for your layout?  :jester:

I let the nice people of eBay do the dirty work for me :jester:

But on a serious note as I have seen people confused by what chinchilla dust is. Chinchilla dust is what they bath in as they cannot get wet, it is a very fine powder and ideal of modelling gravel in 4mm scale, as can be seen in the image below:

post-22762-0-68418200-1491921003_thumb.jpg

Gary

EDIT: New Improved Image

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

I let the nice people of eBay do the dirty work for me :jester:

But on a serious note as I have seen people confused by what chinchilla dust is. Chinchilla dust is what they bath in as they cannot get wet, it is a very fine powder and ideal of modelling gravel in 4mm scale, as can be seen in the image below:

platformCloseUp.jpg

Gary

EDIT: New Improved Image

Evening Gary,

Like the Chinchilla dust,very effective.Took some pix of the 6 wheel coaches tonight plus a couple of other things including my Gladstone and IEG E5 but cannot load them onto RM Web.The site just keeps saying they are too big. Any tips? If not give me your e address and I will try and send them that way. No luck with the L Tank pix by the way...disappeared in the mists of time.

Cheers,

Craig.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

cannot load them onto RM Web.The site just keeps saying they are too big. Any tips? I

I use this free online service  http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

At the top of every RMweb page is a line of headings, one of which mentions Apps. This includes an Image Editor. it is fairly easy to use. Try to get the size below 1MB and you should post easily.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Craig,

Shame about the L class pics but looking forward to seeing the others. I think one of the suggestions above is probably the easiest option for shrinking the image down to meet RMWeb requirements. If they are too big for RMWeb you may have some issues with emailing as depending on your email provider your maximum attachment size may not be much bigger.

Gary

At the top of every RMweb page is a line of headings, one of which mentions Apps. This includes an Image Editor. it is fairly easy to use. Try to get the size below 1MB and you should post easily.

alternatively open them in Microsoft Picture Manager, resize them and then save them with a different name.  That way you won't lose the original.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Craig,

Teaching Granny to suck eggs.  Open the image in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.  Hover over the image and it will tell you the size.  Click on 'Picture' at the top and then click 'Resize' on the drop down menu.  Work out what percentage 1MB is of your image.  Put that in the box and click 'OK'.  Do a 'Save as'.  When you shut down Picture Manager if it says 'Save Image' it will be the original one so click 'Don't Save'.

To do it in RMWeb Image Editor.  Open the Editor in Apps and Contents.  In file open your image. In 'Image' open 'Image Size' and it will give you the number of pixels each way.  If in the folder it is stored in you hover over the image it will give you the size.  Knowing the size and the number of pixels that make the image you can work out how many pixels it has to be to only be 1 MB.

Email attachments on emails can be as high as 25- 30 MB, not of course on PMs on RMWeb as these can still only be 1MB.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Craig,

Teaching Granny to suck eggs.  Open the image in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.  Hover over the image and it will tell you the size.  Click on 'Picture' at the top and then click 'Resize' on the drop down menu.  Work out what percentage 1MB is of your image.  Put that in the box and click 'OK'.  Do a 'Save as'.  When you shut down Picture Manager if it says 'Save Image' it will be the original one so click 'Don't Save'.

To do it in RMWeb Image Editor.  Open the Editor in Apps and Contents.  In file open your image. In 'Image' open 'Image Size' and it will give you the number of pixels each way.  If in the folder it is stored in you hover over the image it will give you the size.  Knowing the size and the number of pixels that make the image you can work out how many pixels it has to be to only be 1 MB.

Email attachments on emails can be as high as 25- 30 MB, not of course on PMs on RMWeb as these can still only be 1MB.

Hope th

Afternoon All,

Thank you all for the tips re posting pix.....will have another go tonight post afternoon snooze and pre glass or two of claret.

Thanks again,

Craig.

Edited by choo1choo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Do you know how long "only" 1Mb photos take to load on slow broadband, especially if there are several in one post? Only 100-200kb is perfectly adequate for viewing on screen.

Yep. The ones I upload on here are 400kb and I think they are quite large compared to most threads. Although to be honest I had never checked the file size as I host them on my own server and just link them meaning the size limit doesn't apply.

Gary

Yep. The ones I upload on here are 400kb and I think they are quite large compared to most threads. Although to be honest I had never checked the file size as I host them on my own server and just link them meaning the size limit doesn't apply.

Gary

And that's another problem. RMweb doesn't know how big they are either, so can't reserve the right space when loading a page. When viewing new content, the text of the latest post appears, then the page often jumps back several days while loading the images from those posts. When it's finished loading the images, the page is displayed at a random place, and I have to scroll forward a long way to find the latest post. That's why I upload smallish images to RMweb, so others hopefully don't experience the problems that annoy me.