RMweb

PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

Possibly the screw heads are the correct height above the sleeper. The problem is the thin flat base of the chair, looking like a piece of steel plate rather than a casting:

post-1103-0-05412400-1482082236.jpg

post-1103-0-94092400-1482082260.jpg

Maybe the chair base was milled, and only the jaws were sparked. The DCC Concepts track has the same effect, looking like a welded fabrication rather than a casting.

When I created the chairs for Adavoyle Junction in the 1980s I made a full miniature chair electrode by 3-D pantograph copying from a real chair. It had to be done in 2 stages because the ratio on the pantograph miller wouldn't go up to 1:76.2.

I imagine the original SMP and C&L tracks were done the same way. Nowadays it is all lasers and computers.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Very close call in my view, almost too close to call. 

Looking at your photos Mike and many thanks for uploading them, I prefer the chair detailing of Peco, but the sleepers of DCC Concepts. However, who would have thought that a mainstream manufacturer would produce this quality of finescale 00 track a few years ago. Both, in my view, are worthy for use. 

Is DCC Concepts planning on producing points, or did I make that up? 

Kind regards,

Nick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Is DCC Concepts planning on producing points, or did I make that up?

Hi Nick,

Announced in Hornby Magazine in April or May 2016 issue.

18 pages on the subject: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110254-dcc-concepts-oo-gauge-bullhead-turnouts/page-18&do=findComment&comment=2536998

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

I would merely suggest looks aren't the whole story. Buyers need to handle Peco, DCC (C+L and SMP) before making a bulk purchase. I have used three of them, but for comparison purposes how does Peco bullhead track compare with Peco Code 75 Streamline for handling or rigidity? 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

Announced in Hornby Magazine in April or May 2016 issue.

18 pages on the subject: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110254-dcc-concepts-oo-gauge-bullhead-turnouts/page-18&do=findComment&comment=2536998

Martin.

Thanks Martin, I do remember reading something, but missed this thread.

Kind regards,

Nick.

thanks , I have both DCC track and C&L  exactoscale , Fasttrack track , and Im waiting for the PECO to make a final comparison 

my own view is the C&L is very finely detailed, but the web arrangement makes it very difficult to curve nicely and in fact you have to cut each alternative web to get it to flex nicely , whereas the DCC track curves beautifully , as the web is split alternatively side to side 

the PECO comparison will be interesting 

In reality at RRP, all are similar priced 

I agree, I do know I'm thinking of not bothering to read RMWeb any more and just get on with playing model trains.

If you read any of the reports of new stuff coming out, it would appear that all of it is so drastically flawed in some way that it would be better to go back to Lone Star "ooo" or find another hobby.

Merry Christmas all, with nuts if you want them :)

M

(sorry grumpy mode this morning but it is seeming like a bit of a waste of time reading things here any more because its just depressing)

You are spot on I mean blimey 79 pages and the product is only getting into the shops .......

Thought for the Christmas period could be .......JUST GET LAID .....with Peco Track 

Moria, on 18 Dec 2016 - 15:16, said:

snapback.png

I agree, I do know I'm thinking of not bothering to read RMWeb any more and just get on with playing model trains.

If you read any of the reports of new stuff coming out, it would appear that all of it is so drastically flawed in some way that it would be better to go back to Lone Star "ooo" or find another hobby.

Merry Christmas all, with nuts if you want them  :)

M

(sorry grumpy mode this morning but it is seeming like a bit of a waste of time reading things here any more because its just depressing)

You are spot on I mean blimey 79 pages and the product is only getting into the shops .......

Thought for the Christmas period could be .......JUST GET LAID .....with Peco Track 

why do people, clearly who are not interested in a topic , then simply post this sort of nonsense.  Its almost as if certain people just want to disrupt a thread for the mere sake of doing so. 

NOONE is forcing you to read or post in this thread , if you feel its a waste of time, there are 100s of other threads that you can waste your valuable time on. I am remind of the " boys " that used to kick our marbles around , just for the laugh  of breaking up a game they didnt like 

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 1

Another:

attachicon.gifIMG_0195.JPG

The C&L thick sleeper base/Exactoscale fast track base, do have chairs that sit on top of the sleepers, I doubt if it will be noticeable even from a short distance though. From normal viewing distances the new Peco track is a vast improvement, great to have a choice of 4 (5 if you include C&L thin sleeper base) products for the 00 gauge modeller, pity one did not provide a 2 bolt chair option though (I will run for cover)

• Like 1

The C&L thick sleeper base/Exactoscale fast track base, do have chairs that sit on top of the sleepers, I doubt if it will be noticeable even from a short distance though. From normal viewing distances the new Peco track is a vast improvement, great to have a choice of 4 (5 if you include C&L thin sleeper base) products for the 00 gauge modeller, pity one did not provide a 2 bolt chair option though (I will run for cover)

For people that really want 2 bolt chairs they can use C&L chairs and stick them onto sleepers.  More work, of course, then ready-to-lay.  But easier than making turnouts.

No, it is a sledge hammer, not a club hammer. Sorry.

Reminds me of an experience my Father had many years ago. He went into a hardware shop and asked for a 'ball and pein' hammer; the young assistant replied that they only sold Spear & Jackson.

• Like 1

why do people, clearly who are not interested in a topic , then simply post this sort of nonsense.  Its almost as if certain people just want to disrupt a thread for the mere sake of doing so. 

NOONE is forcing you to read or post in this thread , if you feel its a waste of time, there are 100s of other threads that you can waste your valuable time on. I am remind of the " boys " that used to kick our marbles around , just for the laugh  of breaking up a game they didnt like

Just for your information I am very interested in this subject as I am currently building my trackwork for the first time.it is therefore of great importance to me personally to take in as much feedback back as possible about this new track. I do however feel that some members expect the perfect ready to run track with out compromise and seem to expect as much which in fairness the Peco is just a none starter given the costs involved. My comment was simply an observation on the interest that it has caused.

No, it is a sledge hammer, not a club hammer. Sorry.

Not much difference being hit on the head by a 2Kg Club or a 2KG Sledge, it is only the handle.

post-6750-0-79448900-1482185381.jpg

post-6750-0-14845300-1482185616.jpeg

And that looks mighty like a Club hammer head to me!!!!!! as sledge usually have a round faced head and bigger round shaft. ( I can't believe we are discussing hammerheads! ).

Edited by bertiedog

Yes.  Didn't I read that C&L have recently put up the price of chairs?  I still have quite a few 2-bolt chairs left over from making the turnouts on my current layout.  A good investment?

Thankfully prices still the same, I think getting mixed up between the cost of 250 & 500 packet sizes