PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

People keep mentioning point work being released, just wondered what the deal is regarding curves and straights? Same time as points, or further behind?

Flexi track is already available. Either leave it straight or bend it.

I can't see Peco bringing out bullhead Setrack.

• Like 1

How comes? Aside from a price difference, isn't it a no-brainer this is better than streamline (at least in the UK)? 

• Like 1

How comes? Aside from a price difference, isn't it a no-brainer this is better than streamline (at least in the UK)? 

I think it's fair to say people who buy set track aren't the sort who'd appreciate the difference between bullhead and flat bottom by and large. 

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say people who buy set track aren't the sort who'd appreciate the difference between bullhead and flat bottom by and large. 

I fall in to that category. It's not bullhead vs flat bottom, rather the sleeper spacing which I notice immediately.

• Like 1

That can be fixed quite easily.

Cut the webbing between each sleeper & space them out with a tool.

I made my own but this is also available. Glue your track instead of pinning it. Not only does it look better, but sleepers which are not pinned down tend to move.

I believe streamline sleepers are softer than setrack.

Bullhead set track might come one day, but at the moment folk are really asking for more realism.

I doubt it.

It is not available in code 100. Again, the majority who want it because it looks better will already be modelling code 75 for the same reason.

Those who want it in streamline or even code 100 will be in a minority so it would not be worth making it.

• Like 1

An additional thing you could do is to cut notches  (with a razor saw) in the top of the rail, then glue the fishplates under,

I would use either etched brass fishplates (with the joining strip removed) or a plastic fishplate (C&L or Exactoscale) 

Looks like John (Hayfield) was referring to the sleeper spacing and chair detail. That doesn't have much to do with rail height. Peco could have produced 00 track with Code 100 rail fifty years ago and it would have been just as compatible with wheels as their H0 product range.

I can't imagine Peco didn't consider doing that but I'm sure they had their reasons. In any event as they now have a substantial share of the World market it doesn't seem to have been a bad decision.

I can tell you the exact reason, from conversations with Mr Pritchard himself, who had to make track that people could use without changing wheels etc.

As there were no UK formal standards,apart from META, and all the makers used different wheel widths and flanges, it was an impossible position for him to make finer track or bullhead, without all features overscale. the culprits were not modellers, but all the makers of trains, who utterly refused to change the wheel standards, until forced to by people seeing that finer wheels existed on the US market from 1946.

US models run on the code 83 as they all use the same wheels. A 1950 Lindsay has the same wheels as modern ones and runs just as well.

It is the cockeyed UK market that stopped better track, no standards, and few modellers appreciating what standards where, like the objection that the US standards were for HO, not 00, repeated ad infinitum in the press and at club meetings, when they failed to see the point that it is the gauge that is exactly the same.

Everything else can be adjusted to suit, but the one thing that could not be done the was a 4mm scale track only, for the small UK market, and simple put Mr Pritchard could not afford the risk. He had to have items that sold.

Times have changed now, and with success with Streamline covering both scales, they have the resources to make a better track.

Just what is the point of setrack?, it was only designed for the toy train box market, not the more advanced modellers in the UK. Flexible track can cover all possible formations curves and transitions, but set track risks the look of a rain set due to sudden changes from straight to curves.

I know that some like the track as it lays more easily, but I suspect that it is just the lack of the acquired skill that is missing.

Flexible tack lays as flat, or better as you can get dips and bumps at the joints on quickly laid setrack.

Both types should have pining down banned, if you must nail it, use a drilled pilot hole!. I have seen dozens of layout ruined by hammering home pins or nails, it is just not needed. Flexible track suffers move as it is a softer PVC base, rather than the ABS/ Poly material used for set track. Some makes are better than others, the continental types with ballast at least look good and run well, but stll have the air of the toy train set about them.

I would place a bet that Peco will never make Bullhead setrack, the market is just too small. Also the bullhead rail is not easy to grip, as shown on the Peco Bullhead, which neds delicate handling till laid, as it is very easy to pull off the rail section, which thank goodness is easy to press back into place.

Once down it is as tough as other tracks, but can you imagine making it for setrack? Far too delicate.

Stephen.

If Peco were to go down this line (and I don't believe for one minute they would) then the approach should be more like Tillig with complementary curves and straights for these "streamline" points to use in a set track style manner rather than as tight radius set track for train sets.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for this comment. All my track is pinned down, and I am very happy with it. Since you seem not to be happy with it, you are welcome to come round here and do something about it. I will supply you with cups of tea/coffee, but I can't pay you. Sorry.

Just what is the point of setrack?, it was only designed for the toy train box market, not the more advanced modellers in the UK. Flexible track can cover all possible formations curves and transitions, but set track risks the look of a rain set due to sudden changes from straight to curves.

I know that some like the track as it lays more easily, but I suspect that it is just the lack of the acquired skill that is missing.

Flexible tack lays as flat, or better as you can get dips and bumps at the joints on quickly laid setrack.

Both types should have pining down banned, if you must nail it, use a drilled pilot hole!. I have seen dozens of layout ruined by hammering home pins or nails, it is just not needed. Flexible track suffers move as it is a softer PVC base, rather than the ABS/ Poly material used for set track. Some makes are better than others, the continental types with ballast at least look good and run well, but stll have the air of the toy train set about them.

I would place a bet that Peco will never make Bullhead setrack, the market is just too small. Also the bullhead rail is not easy to grip, as shown on the Peco Bullhead, which neds delicate handling till laid, as it is very easy to pull off the rail section, which thank goodness is easy to press back into place.

Once down it is as tough as other tracks, but can you imagine making it for setrack? Far too delicate.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Good to be in a minority :) I appreciate bullhead rail and I think set track is great, especially in yards. I doubt I will ever see the two combined in code 100 but it would certainly improve the look to me even with my toy trains. A bit rough though having to choose between being "toy train set" or "more advanced modeller". sheesh!

• Like 1

I can tell you the exact reason, from conversations with Mr Pritchard himself, who had to make track that people could use without changing wheels etc.

As there were no UK formal standards,apart from META, and all the makers used different wheel widths and flanges, it was an impossible position for him to make finer track or bullhead, without all features overscale. the culprits were not modellers, but all the makers of trains, who utterly refused to change the wheel standards, until forced to by people seeing that finer wheels existed on the US market from 1946.

US models run on the code 83 as they all use the same wheels. A 1950 Lindsay has the same wheels as modern ones and runs just as well.

It is the cockeyed UK market that stopped better track, no standards, and few modellers appreciating what standards where, like the objection that the US standards were for HO, not 00, repeated ad infinitum in the press and at club meetings, when they failed to see the point that it is the gauge that is exactly the same.

Everything else can be adjusted to suit, but the one thing that could not be done the was a 4mm scale track only, for the small UK market, and simple put Mr Pritchard could not afford the risk. He had to have items that sold.

Times have changed now, and with success with Streamline covering both scales, they have the resources to make a better track.

Ah, right, well, except that doesn't provide any technical reason that prevented Peco from making Code 100 fllat-bottom track with 00 timbers and sleepers. (If you read my post again you will see that I was careful not to say it had to be bullhead rail.)

And there was plenty of FB track on BR by then too, so an argument that FB would not have been "prototypical" would not hold water either.

Nothing like an old f@rt cutting off the potential future railway modellers before they can even get started! And if your attitude were to persist, why has Peco just introduced set-track points for 0 gauge, to accompany the increasing number of affordable ready-to-run items???

Setrack large curves have come in quite handy experimenting with helix's.

I'd hate to have tried it with flexi, especially as it's all built in overlapping sections.

I might well have to reduce to 2nd radius, and that would prove almost impossible, tho I have considered copper clad half track......

Edited by BlackRat