PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Premium

I'm assuming that they're not releasing pointwork yet simply because it would be more expensive to develop and they're uncertain whether the demand is there. Plain track is probably a low-risk test of concept. Selling it at all suggests that they think there is a big enough market for better looking RTR trackwork but they're keeping the risk down. Will people who are interested in buying the plain track not buy it if there's no matching pointwork, or will some of it looking better be worth it (even if the contrast is obvious)?

Going into speculation overdrive it would be nice if it also means better-looking wooden-sleepered flat-bottomed track in the future but that's probably getting far too far ahead of myself.

Of course Peco will never release a Code 75 Bullhead track range in 00. 

They would only be competing with their other range of Code 75 Streamline.

It will never happen.

There's no demand........Blah Blah Blah !!

A bulk order for edible hats please........

• Like 1

Excellent news. The next God-knows-how-many-pages telling us that it's all wrong should be interesting. It'll do for me.

I know exactly the people who will be unable to resist picking fault and boring us to death with their own "wonderfully comprehensive" knowledge of prototypical track and dogmatic ideas on what every detail of the model should be like....

The fact that it is just going to look a hell of a lot better than the comedy track we've had from "Devoset" for Lord knows how many years will be completely ignored.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Going into speculation overdrive it would be nice if it also means better-looking wooden-sleepered flat-bottomed track in the future but that's probably getting far too far ahead of myself.

I think that's a very good point. There would almost certainly be a fairly high demand for this in the UK, especially from those who model the era where jointed flat bottom track on wooden sleepers was being installed on main and some secondary routes. However, the demand for this would almost certainly be at the expense of an equivelent portion of the existing Peco Streamline market.

As such, I doubt that Peco will be in much of a rush to produce flat bottom track to correct 4mm sleeper spacings, but it would be nice if they ever did.

• Like 1

Based on their cad image, by scaling it up I get approximate dimensions as follows: Sleepers 3.33mm x 31.6mm at 9.3mm centre line spacing.

Fancy that!

More or less HO, assuming older 9 foot sleepers. Properly proportionate to the gauge! Hoorah!!!

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Gold

Damn those Peco Designers! - Now I need to rip up all of my Code 75 toy track and start again with the far superior, much better looking track Peco are promising us!! Can't Wait!!!! I'll have several boxes please but will hold off until we get the pointwork to match!

• RMweb Gold

Fancy that!

More or less HO, assuming older 9 foot sleepers. Properly proportionate to the gauge! Hoorah!!!

There were very few 9ft sleepers left in the period most users will be modelling, and H0 scale sleepers would be 2.92mm wide.

As far as I can tell it is 4ft-1.5in gauge track with 8ft long sleepers at 2ft-4in centres, at 4mm/ft scale:

post-1103-0-31702200-1453901549.png

Martin.

I presume that there will be a premium (at least at first) on the price for the new Peco product compared to their HO flexible track, but I imagine that it will be cheaper than the C&L thick track.  (I suspect that the C&L track will still look better when looked at closely.)  There is also the postage factor.  C&L don't seem to have secured a contract with good prices for international delivery of parcels measuring 1 metre long.  With Hattons for instance, parcels with lengths of flexible track only cost a few pounds more for delivery.

Bullhead ready to lay track has been available for some time from people like C&L.

C&L have been working for some time towards increasing their range of ready to lay track. Now suddenly people want to turn their backs on them to buy from Peco on the vague comment that they might consider point work in the future.

I wonder why any companies bother developing anything these days.

• RMweb Gold

Peco appear to have closely matched track having 26 sleepers per 60ft rail, which was used on prototype curves below 20 chains radius.

In 4mm/ft scale, 20 chains radius is 5280mm ( 17ft radius), so clearly almost all the curved track on a typical model railway would correspond to this.

post-1103-0-30641200-1453904313.png

The mid-rail spacing at 26 sleepers per 60ft is 2ft-4in, which scales to 9.33mm. Which appears to be the spacing of the new track illustrated on the Peco web site.

Martin.

• Like 1

Bullhead ready to lay track has been available for some time from people like C&L.

C&L have been working for some time towards increasing their range of ready to lay track. Now suddenly people want to turn their backs on them to buy from Peco on the vague comment that they might consider point work in the future.

It could be that Peco and C&L are addressing different sectors of the demand for bullhead OO track.  The ready built C&L turnout that has a thread of its own looks wonderful.  However, I imagine that a reasonable proportion of modellers would find the price that C&L has to charge for their ready-made kit-built pointwork unaffordable for the size of layout that they want.

We don't know what the new points (assuming that they appear) would look like, but I suspect that they will have the normal Peco hinged switch-rails.  I doubt that they would be of interest to those considering building C&L kits, or buying the kits ready built.  On the other hand, there are a lot of people with OO layouts who want an improvement over the HO track.  In my opinion, sleepers and timbering are two of the most noticeable features of track.

I'm pretty sure the pointwork to match will follow from Peco. I'm also reasonably sure that each turnout won't be £108... I'm not great at maths, but hey...

Edit: The other thing to bear in mind is that if you need a length of Peco flexi, it's readily available in almost every model shop. You can't just pop out for a length of C&L if you run out during tracklaying at 4pm on a Saturday. Ease of availability is important, too...

Edited by Pete 75C

I would imagine as the Peco points will probably ( if thy get round to making them) fall into the Sub £20 mark and the metre lengths somewhere around the £4 mark?

.....if you need a length of Peco flexi, it's readily available in almost every model shop. You can't just pop out for a length of C&L if you run out during tracklaying at 4pm on a Saturday......

For most of the UK, you can't "just pop out" for a length of Peco either.

Very few people will have a stockist on their doorstep.

For most of the UK, you can't "just pop out" for a length of Peco either.

Very few people will have a stockist on their doorstep.

Not on their doorstep but relatively close by in most cases

Whereas I think it poor that Peco have not offered such a line (no pun intended) in the past, what is the point now, or rather where are the points, in just releasing the track?

I welcome this development; it is a step in the right direction, but I think Peco needs to re-think its view that it will leave off ready-made turnouts for future consideration.

I can obtain finescale OO flexi-track from SMP or C&L.  The thing that holds back those of us who would prefer not to have to build track-work is the lack of ready-made points. In some measure that is alleviated by Marcway.  But I am struggling to see why I would now buy a length of flexi-track from Peco instead of from Marcway/SMP when matching ready-to-lay turnouts are not provided.

Peco have taken too many years to come to the right conclusion and, as a result, have missed the boat in terms of leading with the plain track, and expecting everyone interested in such track to change to their product.  They don't have that luxury in a market that already supplies such plain track.

Peco need to do a couple of things quite quickly. They need to demonstrate the superiority of their product in cosmetic and/or ease of use terms, and, produce a fairly complete range of pointwork pdq, including curved points, double slips, catch points and all the formations people interested in finescale trackwork will want.

Otherwise, where's the point?