RMweb

Imagining Edison at the lineside, with a prototype phonograph recording Broad Gauge singles bursting out of Box Tunnel on the 9th April in the early 1880s.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph

When you set those hares running on here: I couldn't immediately find any early train related recordings. Mostly they were voice or instrumental, although there were some sound effect cylinders. So whilst the the population of Castle Aching scurry off to find the goodies and report back here is a little ditty recorded in 1907 on an Edison Black Wax cylinder . Just imagine an irritating youth getting in your compartment, winding up his phonograph, slipping on a cylinder and and playing this whilst you harumph and try to read the Times letter page. There is a scratch at the end which COULD be one of Mr Edwardians steam locos chuffing along. http://02e9244.netsolhost.com/edison/When_The_Sheep_Are_In_The_Fold.mp3

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 4

.......I'm afraid the discussion on the legitimacy of monarchy was bringing out my inner Jacobite rather than Jacobin - it's not monarchy per se that's wrong, it's just we're saddled with the wrong lot

So I take it you will always have a glass of water in front of you when toasting 'The King'?

Jim

• RMweb Premium

So I take it you will always have a glass of water in front of you when toasting 'The King'?

Jim

The trouble is the Stuarts died out with the Cardinal of York's death in 1807. They were certainly the legitimate Kings of Scotland but the claim to the thrones of England, France and Ireland is debatable. I recall a television programme many years ago in which the true King of England - descendant of the Plantagenets - was revealed to be an Australian sheep-farmer.

• Like 3

......I recall a television programme many years ago in which the true King of England - descendant of the Plantagenets - was revealed to be an Australian sheep-farmer.

So, the glass of water still stands then?

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So, the glass of water still stands then?

Jim

Still water, certainly, as a memorial to opportunities missed, or perhaps more pertinently as a toast to an ideal of just and legitimate government.

One mustn't forget to toast the Little Gentleman in Black Velvet. I believe the nearest legitimate living relative of the house of Stuart is the current Duke of Bavaria, though a good number of the non-royal dukes in the British peerage are illegitimate descendants of Charles II.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Still water, certainly, as a memorial to opportunities missed, or perhaps more pertinently as a toast to an ideal of just and legitimate government.

I always think of David Niven’s comment about this, in the earlier parts of his first autobiography.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There’s a guy down the chip shop swears he’s Elvis. Station painting coming up, got to be pregroup, it’s painted green.

attachicon.gif53BCD416-3941-4F5C-98F2-4788DAFD7CA1.jpeg

Something slightly amiss with the Valve gear. That vertical member (looks it up - combination lever) seems to be freely dangling rather than attached to the crosshead

• RMweb Premium

I always think of David Niven’s comment about this, in the earlier parts of his first autobiography.

Pass...

There’s a guy down the chip shop swears he’s Elvis. Station painting coming up, got to be pregroup, it’s painted green.

Pre-group? Re-group more like. It must be after 1945 as Zielkowo was formerly Zielkau in East Prussia.

• RMweb Premium

Pass...

Pre-group? Re-group more like. It must be after 1945 as Zielkowo was formerly Zielkau in East Prussia.

And yet the style of costume and the manner of painting look earlier to me. Could there be another place with the same name?

Very interesting photo alert.

We've discussed the make-up of trains to transport troops with horses more than once at CA and, while looking for something else, which I haven't found yet (always the way), I found this https://www.casgliadywerin.cymru/items/405437

Since the caption is in Welsh, its a good job that a picture speaks a thousand words, and it seems to show exactly what we've looked for: two tank engines with a train composed of coaches, a van of some sort, 'flat' wagons carrying what look like gun limbers, then a long tail of what look like cattle wagons. On the platform are horses, soldiers, and plenty of 'gawpers'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

it is of course the military Trawnsfynydd Camp station just north of Trawnsfynydd on the GWR Blaenau Festiniog branch. i am sure it has been published as i have seen it before. By the way there is an "English" button on that page but the English version doesn't tell you much more.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We've discussed the make-up of trains to transport troops with horses more than once at CA and, while looking for something else, which I haven't found yet (always the way), I found this https://www.casgliadywerin.cymru/items/405437

Since the caption is in Welsh, its a good job that a picture speaks a thousand words, and it seems to show exactly what we've looked for: two tank engines with a train composed of coaches, a van of some sort, 'flat' wagons carrying what look like gun limbers, then a long tail of what look like cattle wagons. On the platform are horses, soldiers, and plenty of 'gawpers'.

There are two giveaways.  1) the tab says, Soldiers and horses at Trawsfynydd railway station, 1915, 2) Google Translate says the same.  So not much information there.

More interestingly are the locos 850s or the earlier 645 class?

Edited by ChrisN

Zielkau/Zolkowo:

The village actually transferred from German to Polish administration under the Treaty of Versailles, and was known as Zielkowo until 1939, when it came under German control and became Schilkendorf, before becoming Zielkowo again in 1945.

I think that the loco belongs to OKB = Ostpreussen Klein Bahn AG, a company that operated oodles of minor lines of multiple different gauges from 600mm upwards, and I think continued to exist while bits of the territory that it served were Polish.

So, our painting would seem to date between 1919 and 1939.

It might be pre-grouping, but it might not.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

We've discussed the make-up of trains to transport troops with horses more than once at CA and, while looking for something else, which I haven't found yet (always the way), I found this https://www.casgliadywerin.cymru/items/405437

1st class compartments for officers, 3rd class compartments for their horses, cattle wagons for the rank and file.