They’re by C J Allan, from an article, or possibly series, about slipping. In 1909, building working model slip coaches, and working model mail bag collectors for that matter, seems to have been very popular with hobbyists.

The Brighton section of the SR was, I think, the last to slip in the country, so maybe I’d better read these articles carefully, and get to work.

There's a baseboard joint at the beginning of the platforms on my layout.  Sometimes one or two coaches get slipped there.  Inadvertent but quite realistic looking!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I say, I say, I say, that list of GER preferred engines you did, J15, yes, sharpie 240, yes, but don’t you think the tank version of the intermediate 240 is a far more interesting engine:post-26540-0-49541400-1518014169_thumb.jpeg

And talking about tank engines, no kind of buckjumper, and maybe a coffeepot?

• Like 6

This is a good example of an engine not build under the eye of Mr S. W Johnson or Mr. J. G. Robinson, which might even be called a tad on the plain side, and yet, somehow, still has an appeal all of its own. 

• RMweb Gold

It ought to be possible to derive both the fitted series of Y14s (which were painted in blue passenger livery as opposed to the unlined goods black worn by the rest of the class in the 1900s) and a T26 from the Hornby J15.

I am not sure about the T26, but as the GER under Holden only had two diameters of boiler, a Y14 should be able to donate quite a bit towards classes T26, T19, D27 single wheeler and C32, although in the latter case I am not sure just how much would remain...

Really not sure how much anY14 can contribute to a Claud: they had more in common with what was later J16/J17, depending of firebox.

The worst job is nothing to do with the back-dating, but is the remounting the boiler handrails radially.

A scribing stand, or simply some callipers, are all that is needed to help mark out the positions.

At the turn of the Century, I imagine that the majority of Y14s were still hard at work on goods services on the GE-GN Joint line, which had given the Eastern much coveted access to coal traffic. I suspect it was only much later that the class migrated to East Anglian byways.

On the other hand, I imagine that the passenger fitted Y14s might be more appropriate for CA - as you say, on a cross-country passenger service.

If you read up on the various lines on Oakwood books, etc, it is clear that the passenger fitted Y14s were used interchangeably with the T26s. I think they were actually dual fitted, so even better.
  • Like 1

I am not sure about the T26, but as the GER under Holden only had two diameters of boiler, a Y14 should be able to donate quite a bit towards classes T26, T19, D27 single wheeler and C32, although in the latter case I am not sure just how much would remain...

Really not sure how much anY14 can contribute to a Claud: they had more in common with what was later J16/J17, depending of firebox.

A scribing stand, or simply some callipers, are all that is needed to help mark out the positions.

If you read up on the various lines on Oakwood books, etc, it is clear that the passenger fitted Y14s were used interchangeably with the T26s. I think they were actually dual fitted, so even better.

I was thinking more that if a Hornby Claud could be used to produce an 'as built' Claud, it would also provide a T19.  That is a significant 'if', however, because I would guess that Hornby have filled the space available in their version, which will have a higher pitched boiler. Same problem with the rebuilt LSW T9 and 700 models.  Nile of this Parish overcame the problem with the Black Motor by re-mounting the motor, but here we are losing much of the benefit of an RTR donor chassis.

• RMweb Gold

Nile of this Parish overcame the problem with the Black Motor by re-mounting the motor, but here we are losing much of the benefit of an RTR donor chassis.

Provided that you remove yourself from the general aversion to having axles that are allowed to move up and down, and the bizarre fixation with fixed axles within compensated frames, then as long as you take time and care - and if you like buying expensive jigs, if that’s your thing - then a working chassis is not too difficult to achieve. You can then carve the body about as much as you wish.

Not modelling in “metric mix” scales, do Hornby produce an early/original (I really dislike the term “unrebuilt”!) Claud? I can’t imagine much that would be useable from a Gresley re-build, other than maybe the wheels and coupling rods, possibly the cast block as an aide to drilling or for hacking about if you have access to a vertical mill.

Sometimes it is simply easier to start for yourself, even kits get it wrong. The AGW E4 has the boiler at the wrong pitch for a start...

• RMweb Premium

RM this month carries an announcement of a J72 in original form, when it was called an E1(?).

Should be cause for celebration in Sunderland, dancing in Darlington, and a couple of brown ales in Newcastle.

O gauge, of course??
  • Like 1

RM this month carries an announcement of a J72 in original form, when it was called an E1(?).

Should be cause for celebration in Sunderland, dancing in Darlington, and a couple of brown ales in Newcastle.

This is an odd one, because there was quite a hiatus between the first batch, 1898-9, and subsequent batches, from 1914. The Bachmann model cannot represent anything earlier than the 1914 batch, because the later series had longer bunkers.

This is too late for me (I want to model some local stuff, but will probably go for the turn of the century up to, say, 1903, because after then the NER started to paint or repaint its goods engines in black.  I prefer them in green!)

I was comparing line drawings of the two batches in the North Eastern Record only yesterday, as it happens, and concluded that the bunker length was the only detail of any significance, so I reckon that taking a razor saw to the bunker of the new Bachmann and a repaint in Wilson Worsdell's green livery would get me what I'd want. 

• Like 3

They are tooling for the original version too “superseding what is shown in the catalogue”.

Their customer liaison man is a member of our local MRC, and I’ll see him on Saturday, so will ask him how they decided.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As someone once said "the terminal phase in the decline of any once great empire is to fall prey to delusions of self-importance".

That is one of the problems of the EU very inward looking.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Dual braked?  So needing to work foreign stock?

Caledonian?

Certainly not Caledonian, with which the Midland had very little to do, being hand-in-glove withe Sou' West and North British. But the Midland's Scotch Expresses remained Westinghouse braked into the 1880s - having started out with Westinghouse-fitted Pullman cars - and quite a number of passenger engines remained equipped with the Westinghouse brake as late as 1890. No. 1305 is clearly in the post-1883 red livery - it carries the letters M R on the tender side.

The Midland had experimented with a variety of brakes in the second half of the 1870s. The automatic vacuum brake had been found more reliable in service but it took some time to wriggle out of contracts with Westinghouse.

Refs:

S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Volume 1 General Survey (Irwell Press, 2000)

P. E. Baughan, The Midland Railway North of Leeds (David & Charles, 2e 1987)

PS. Has that Little Sharpie got any brakes at all?

Edited by Compound2632

They are tooling for the original version too “superseding what is shown in the catalogue”.

Their customer liaison man is a member of our local MRC, and I’ll see him on Saturday, so will ask him how they decided.

Oh, Oh!

A pre-Great war pre-Grouping tooling?

Well,  I never.  I shall have to buy this, even if still in relative penury.

They'll surely do one in the original green, too, because it's too attractive an option to ignore.

• RMweb Premium

Yes of course... but only on the tender! Quite normal for the 1870s when trains were light and life was cheap.

I think I can just see them now. Not much breaking from such a small tender! Of course there was always the reverser...