RM this month carries an announcement of a J72 in original form, when it was called an E1(?).

Should be cause for celebration in Sunderland, dancing in Darlington, and a couple of brown ales in Newcastle.

This month's?

I cannot seem to see it in February's.

Surely March is not yet out?

Tours

A. Gog 

I think I can just see them now. Not much breaking from such a small tender! Of course there was always the reverser...

Reminds me of a summer Saturday at Nantwich Basin on the Shroppie.

A hire narrowboat came up the short arm to the basin at some considerable speed (not withstanding the statutory 4mph speed limit) and didn't seem inclined to slacken off as it approached the concrete.  The lady in the bow cockpit, standing ready with a mooring rope, realised that they weren't a'goin to stop and screamed back at hubby "Reverse, REVERSE!!!!", who looked up from whatever he was reading and muttered, "Oh, alright". 

Eventually the edge of the basin arrested movement, and the sound of breaking crockery from within was horrendous.

Luckily, the hire company anticipated such stuff and there was only a moderate dent in the stem post...

I picked it up yesterday.

Crikey!  Well, it doesn't tend to make it up here until sometime after the 15th!

Barnard Castle: The Land That Time (and magazine distributors) Forgot!

post-25673-0-47300900-1518028199.jpg

Edited by Edwardian

If it was one of the steam powered ones, quite a lot!!!

Jim

Oh, the wonderful K class.

The class normally took 30 minutes to "crash dive" (though it was possible to get below in 5 minutes, allegedly), and so long that when the bow was at the maximum diving depth, the stern could still be near the surface. Also handled like a herd of cats and likely to hit anything by sheer accident...  Evidently unofficially known as the "Kalamity" class and the crews referred to themselves as "The Suicide Club".

A poorly thought out design...

Fascinating.

I notice the round-topped panelling and raised beading on the waist on the slip vehicle, suggesting an 1880s design.  Perhaps we might call it "Stratford Gothic", though that would be just too silly, surely?

Had it been earlier (late 1870s), I would expect it to have the waist beading, but not the recessed panels on the upper half.  Had it been later (early 1890s), it would have retained larger radius top corners, but have recessed rounded edge waist panels.  Hence I suggest 1880s. This is largely educated guess-work based upon observation, as there is no work of which I know that deals with the evolution of GER coach styling, and there are few drawings available. 

The clerestory appears to be one of the 5-compartment lavatory thirds of which I do have a drawing. I had not seen a picture of one before, so this is invaluable. 

Thanks muchly

Guess that you've seen this link before, but just in case!

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/rolling-stock/carriages/types-1-4

Guess that you've seen this link before, but just in case!

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/rolling-stock/carriages/types-1-4

Yes, thank you, but as you see, they do not provide panel and beading detail, so not great for modellers.  I do note that it says that waist beading continued to be applied under Worsdell, up to the mid '80s, which would be pretty old fashioned by then.  But, as to the finer points of difference between late Adams/Bromley and the various iterations of the Worsdell design .... ?

• RMweb Gold

Crikey! Well, it doesn't tend to make it up here until sometime after the 15th!

Barnard Castle: The Land the Time (and magazine distributors) Forgot!

Ah. As in the early draft of that well-known children’s story, “Not Now, Barnard Castle”? Edited by Regularity

Found this on Wikimedia. Public domain, source Bulgarian Archive State Agency!

Great Eastern Railway 761 and a train of 6-wheeled carriages. GER 761 was a class T19 2-4-0 (order no. T24), built in 1890 and withdrawn in 1908.

post-3744-0-34671100-1518038262_thumb.jpg

Click image for hi-res image

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BASA-3K-7-518-33.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 5

Looking at the coaches, that's quite a mixed bunch.

Full brake

4 compartment first class (en-suite Toilets for central 2 only!)

2 door, 3 compartment corridor/open?, with brake/luggage compartment, clerestory

5 door, 5 compartment, but what's the bit between 4th and 5th compartment, toilets? Who for?

Another full brake, opposite way around to first.

Great Eastern Railway 761 and a train of 6-wheeled carriages. GER 761 was a class T19 2-4-0 (order no. T24), built in 1890 and withdrawn in 1908.

attachicon.gifBASA-3K-7-518-33.jpg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BASA-3K-7-518-33.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

A great picture.

Spot the clerestory!

Looking at the coaches, that's quite a mixed bunch.

Full brake

4 compartment first class (en-suite Toilets for central 2 only!)

2 door, 3 compartment corridor/open?, with brake/luggage compartment, clerestory

5 door, 5 compartment, but what's the bit between 4th and 5th compartment, toilets? Who for?

Another full brake, opposite way around to first.

Ah, nearly a cross post.

Indeed an interesting assemblage. I would say:

Full Brake

Lav. Composite - compartment widths are different, so I'd say 1st and 2nd

Clerestory - really interesting.  Certainly luggage compartment, and wide spacings between the quarter lights, so first class - possibly a (family) saloon? 

Lav. Third (5-compt)

Full Brake

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating.

I notice the round-topped panelling and raised beading on the waist on the slip vehicle, suggesting an 1880s design. Perhaps we might call it "Stratford Gothic", though that would be just too silly, surely?

Had it been earlier (late 1870s), I would expect it to have the waist beading, but not the recessed panels on the upper half. Had it been later (early 1890s), it would have retained larger radius top corners, but have recessed rounded edge waist panels. Hence I suggest 1880s. This is largely educated guess-work based upon observation, as there is no work of which I know that deals with the evolution of GER coach styling, and there are few drawings available.

John Watling wrote a series of articles on this very subject in the Great Eastern Journal, starting in journal 101. I believe that at least some of it has also been published on the society's website.

edit: found the link: https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/rolling-stock/carriages

Edited by icw

attachicon.gifBASA-3K-7-518-33.jpg

It appears to be an oil burner too; could it be 'Petrolea' itself? In case anyone gets the wrong idea, it was withdrawn to be converted into a "Humpty Dumpty" 2-4-0/4-4-0

Also, between the drivers, mostly hidden by the coupling rods.

Ah yes. Cutting edge stuff!

• RMweb Gold

Just came across this site for someone who has made various etches for pre-grouping loco's and carriages. Although to 2mm he may be able/willing to up scale.

http://eveleighcreations.com/etch-design/

Nice chap David. If you are looking at the site do look in Galleries Layouts Framsden It is a real favourite of mine some excellent modelling. It helps that David is an artist. He does offer a service painting backscenes at what is a fair price for the work involved.  He produces some excellent rakes of wagons in 2mm and also comes up with some great ideas for tools and jigs.

Don

• RMweb Gold

This month's?

I cannot seem to see it in February's.

Surely March is not yet out?

Tours

A. Gog 

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I have it on subscription as our local newsagent closed shop.

Don

Sir,

A question, if I may?

No?

Oh well, I fear I shall say it anyway!

Does anyone have any drawings for the GER 2-4-0 Pictured above, and/or for the 0-4-2T that James is building around a 14xx? The latter especially...

Your honourable servant,

E. Missenden

It appears to be an oil burner too; could it be 'Petrolea' itself? In case anyone gets the wrong idea, it was withdrawn to be converted into a "Humpty Dumpty" 2-4-0/4-4-0

Ah yes. Cutting edge stuff!

Petrolea was No.760.

John Watling wrote a series of articles on this very subject in the Great Eastern Journal, starting in journal 101. I believe that at least some of it has also been published on the society's website.

edit: found the link: https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/rolling-stock/carriages

Thanks.  Yes, though the diagram book type drawings reproduced lack much essential detail, so, while excellent articles, they don't go far enough to enable me to model the coaches.  That said, I haven't read them for a couple of years and will do so again.

Nice chap David. If you are looking at the site do look in Galleries Layouts Framsden It is a real favourite of mine some excellent modelling. It helps that David is an artist. He does offer a service painting backscenes at what is a fair price for the work involved.  He produces some excellent rakes of wagons in 2mm and also comes up with some great ideas for tools and jigs.

Don

I emailed him and he has already replied.  He makes the point that the etchings cannot simply be re-scaled - fold lines etc would be too wide.  So, should have chosen 2FS!

Sir,

A question, if I may?

No?

Oh well, I fear I shall say it anyway!

Does anyone have any drawings for the GER 2-4-0 Pictured above, and/or for the 0-4-2T that James is building around a 14xx? The latter especially...

Your honourable servant,

E. Missenden

T7 drawings in an old RM by Iain Rice, but I think better drawings (in 7mm) are to be found in Mike Sharman's Oakwood Press Portfolio volume. 

T19, plus rebuilds; the GERS can supply scale drawings.

Oh, the wonderful K class.

The class normally took 30 minutes to "crash dive" (though it was possible to get below in 5 minutes, allegedly), and so long that when the bow was at the maximum diving depth, the stern could still be near the surface. Also handled like a herd of cats and likely to hit anything by sheer accident...  Evidently unofficially known as the "Kalamity" class and the crews referred to themselves as "The Suicide Club".

A poorly thought out design...

But not, I think, Edwardian!

(Built to operate at fleet speed with Dreadnought battleships which really were an Edwardian concept and another weapons system that never really worked as hoped. Nothing much wrong with the idea of a steam powered fleet submarine - just needed a nuclear reactor, different hull form, etc,etc.)

Sorry,  shouldn't get distracted even by your post of HM ships Camperdown and Victoria above. Now Victoria really was technology that didn't work, but perhaps the idea of forcing the Dardanelles could be described as 'what has been done before might need to be done again'.

Interesting that some locomotive technology from the 1890's lasted into the second half of the 20th century, whereas poor Victoria stands on her bow (if she still does) of the coast of Lebanon. A tribute to the difficulty of developing processes for command and control at the same speed as the technology.

(ref. Andrew Gordon 'The Rules of the Game'.)

Perhaps railways were some twenty years ahead in that regard?

Now I need to stop coughing and sneezing and get out of this warm bed and lay track! Worse things happen at sea you know!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Iain Rice’s T7 drawing is more than a little erroneous. The Colne Valley engine, built to the same design, made it into LNER ownership, and core dimensions are provided in the relevant RCTS volume, which state the wheelbase. Iain estimated his, and got it wrong. There is probably a side elevation in the series of drawings by HT Buckle, in Railway Magazine or some such - the GERS used to provide a reprint of this.

A drawing of the T26 by Lyn Brooks appeared in the book on the hobby produced amongst other imprints for M&S.

All this has been mentioned before.