• RMweb Premium

Mustapha Camel ... wasn't he a Young Turk though?

I'll raise you one Sheik Yerbouti

I rather liked the Beano's Sheik Amasivh-bin-Bagh. He was on his way to buy Dundee United when he stumbled across Beanotown FC.

Not very PC, this.

• Like 4

I always thought that Marty Feldman would have been very useful as part of an army reconnaissance unit - he'd have seen twice as much as anyone else.

Yes... um... yeah, the non-PCness of this thread was probably established several hundred pages ago.

Wasn't there a real Sheik Yamani in recent years?

Edwardian - I must expose your Sheik Yerbouti as an imposter. I am certain that's Frank Zappa. To get back on-topic (to an earlier off-topic subject) he did have an ancestor who knew Murat:

post-34294-0-32647100-1539020037.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Being PC is overrated.

Yeah.

I use a Mac...

True story of the you-wouldn’t-believe-this-if-it-was-scripted variety follows.

A few months back, I was having a conversation about PC with a couple of colleagues, one a bit younger and the other one younger still (mid 20s). I made the point that when people complain about “political correctness”, they usually meant “political correctness gone wrong/too far”. The basic issue - and the root of the word political means “of the people” - is that of being respectful to others and their differences, which is fundamentally a Very Good Thing. As such, PC Was really important in reframing mindsets and means we cannot use the “n-word” (my youngest colleague is black) nor can we call someone who is gay a “puff”. My younger colleague went on to mention that his particular gripe was people taking offence on the behalf of others, or without being aware of the context of the usage of the word.

You know what’s coming, don’t you?

Yep.

Younger but not youngest colleague and I went to a meeting, and not long after that, someone came over from a nearby desk and said the following to my youngest colleague, “I don’t want to make a big fuss, but I heard one of your colleagues say ‘Puff’ a few minutes ago, and I would like you to ask him not to use that word again as I find it offensive.” He was a little overbearing and my colleague is of a slightly nervous disposition so did not point out the irony of his complaint, and she refused to reveal who it was, so I was denied the delicious irony of telling this guy what an idiot he was, but there you go.

Yes, it's Frank Zappa. If I thought anyone would be genuinely offended, I would reconsider, but a lot of humour on this thread involves whimsical, mildly comic or absurd names.  As it's set in Edwardian Norfolk and these people are, presumably,caucasian, nobody thinks twice that we have a Colonel Knap-Flint, a Mariana Trench and a Lord Erstwhile. 

So, no, the fact that these are "foreign" silly names does not make the attempt at humour racist or inherently offensive, any more than is the case with it's-spelt-luxury-yacht-but-pronounced-mangrove-throat-warbler.   It's just playing with words, sounds and ideas to add a bit of fun.

So, I must defend the silliness of the past and the silliness of the present.

As Bungdit Din once remarked to the irritating Holy Man ...

• Like 1

Simon - Yes, come across that before, someone complaining about non-PC phrases used in a conversation about non-PC phrases.

Its the old "don't mention the war" joke but dressed up in modern guise.

I think Patrick Stewart summed it up well with...

2887982.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I get twitchy when I hear sizeist remarks made about Midland locomotives or the term "double-heading" used in a derogatory fashion in reference to the Midland.

Come on, if it's petite you're looking for:

post-29416-0-69286900-1539022009_thumb.jpg

post-29416-0-69286900-1539022009_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Please tell me more about that startling (have I suddenly got double vision?) Crewe double chimbley - it looks to be a single casting.

I wonder why Mr Webb didn't opt completely for a double stove pipe - marginally cheaper.

dh

Edit sorry, that was a case of an over-excited reflex reaction to early Bauhaus 'form follows function'

I've now just found this http://www.steamindex.com/locotype/lnwr2.htm  note

Detailed design

The coming of the extended smokebox. Locomotive Rly Carr. Wagon Rev., 1942, 48, 215-16.
Considers both Dean's and Webb's contributions. In case of Webb this includes the double chimney types fitted to 1532 Hampden and 1502 Black Prince

Poole, A.J. Locomotive smokeboxes. J. Instn Loco. Engrs, 1932, 22, 281-98. Disc.: 298-318. (Paper No. 288).
Webb divided his smokeboxes into two compartments by means of an horizontal plate and provided a chimney and blast-pipe to each. Unfortunately he used a separate exhaust for each cylinder without any junction, so that the very intermittent effect rather nullified the experiment .

The extended smoke box can be easily seen on 1532 Hampden, but I can't see any tell tale rivets indicating that bizarre horizontal divide.

And after closer examination it seems to be a fabricated double chimney not a single casting.

Edited by runs as required

• RMweb Premium

Pkease tell me more about that startling (have I suddenly got double vision?) Crewe double chimbley - it looks to be a single casting.

(I wonder why they didn't opt completely for a double stove pipe - marginally cheaper.

dh

It was fitted to Hampden in 1897 as a trial for a similar chimney fitted to 4-cylinder compound Iron Duke. After a while it got a top of normal Webb outline, rather than the plain stovepipe seen here. Probably only worn for a few months. The smokebox contained a horizontal plate in front of the tubeplate, with each half exhausting through a separate flue, it was hoped to even out the draught through the tubes and hence, I suppose, the heating. This is rather different to the double chimneys of later years which, as I understand it, were designed to provide a freer exhaust from the cylinders, reducing back-pressure on the pistons. 

Ref. E. Talbot, An illustrated history of LNWR engines (OPC, 1985).

Came across these. More or less in-period for CA.

If, like me, you find the old illustrations of the Illustrated London News ilk, fascinating, despite their idealised and, of course, pro-imperial treatment of their subject matter, you might enjoy the French equivalent ...

post-25673-0-55893500-1539033960_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-19259700-1539033975_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-64517400-1539033993_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-30983900-1539034010_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-52715900-1539034045_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-07415400-1539034059_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

In the late 80s I was working in Bristol in a largish open office one of the senior members of the staff was a vey friendly polite mild mannerd person. One day he had a visitor of Afro Caribean ethnicity and were busy discussing work matters when he said 'of course the real n..... in the woodpile problem is ....' at which point the full horror of what he had just said struck him.

Don

Edited by Andy Y
Political comment removed

• RMweb Premium

No indeed...

attachicon.gifCRdoubleheaded.jpg

Reading a book on the Highland Railways last night,  30 assorted 6 wheel carriages, wagons and horse boxes from Perth to Inverness, two locos on the front, one giving a push up the backside. For a while this was not an unusual event!!..

• Like 3