• RMweb Premium

The tapestry, not a painting, is in the collection of the Basel Historical Museum.

https://www.hmb.ch/en/collection/object/wild-woman-with-unicorn.html

There is a further set of six contemporary tapestries in the collection of the Musée de Cluny itself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_and_the_Unicorn

http://www.tchevalier.com/unicorn/tapestries/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is amazing all the things that one doesn''t know that one didn't know that one didn't want to know.

I was mystified that a mythical beast which is basically a horse with a phallic symbol on its head is used to symbolise purity, but then, if people need to create such beasts when there are already so many wonderful and varied creatures in existence, then I think it a waste of poetic thinking (even in a visual artistic medium).

It is amazing all the things that one doesn''t know that one didn't know that one didn't want to know.

The amazing thing is the stuff academics come up with at four in the morning accompanied by a bottle of inexpensive whisky.....

• Like 2

I’m supposed to have left-liberal, if not further left, leanings, but I do sometimes wonder whether funding such academics from the public purse is the best use of money ........ it’s all fascinating stuff, and it adds to the sum of human happiness, to a vanishingly tiny extent, but shouldn’t people do these things as hobbies, rather than professions?

(Still grumpy, in case you didn’t guess)

• Like 2

The amazing thing is the stuff academics come up with at four in the morning accompanied by a bottle of inexpensive whisky.....

Just think what they'd come up with at six in the morning with a fine single malt ...

Anyway, 'hello' everyone.  In Maybot speak I'm one of the Just About Keeping Up at the moment, the old work/'flu balance proving a bit tricky this week, but glad to see that the usual high quality of fascinating arcana is being maintained. 

As I drift in and out of consciousness to the accompaniment of Radio 4, I seem to be imagining things because they, surely, can't be true; the farcical incompetence of Putin's GRU as evidenced by a series of failed missions that we knew all about, and, in some surrealist Hell worthy of Hieronymus Bosch, some apparent UK stock-pile of body parts (more post BREXIT planning?), honestly, am I delirious or is it the world that's gone mad/madder?

Just think what they'd come up with at six in the morning with a fine single malt ...

Anyway, 'hello' everyone.  In Maybot speak I'm one of the Just About Keeping Up at the moment, the old work/'flu balance proving a bit tricky this week, but glad to see that the usual high quality of fascinating arcana is being maintained. 

As I drift in and out of consciousness to the accompaniment of Radio 4, I seem to be imagining things because they, surely, can't be true; the farcical incompetence of Putin's GRU as evidenced by a series of failed missions that we knew all about, and, in some surrealist Hell worthy of Hieronymus Bosch, some apparent UK stock-pile of body parts (more post BREXIT planning?), honestly, am I delirious or is it the world that's gone mad/madder?

In the context of "work/flu semi-consciousness", continuous listing to Radio 4 is possibly the worst thing to submit yourself to!  I had to give up waking to the Today programme because the broadcast content between the radio kicking in and my gaining full consciousness was giving me nightmares...

I even gave up on Radio 3, its now Classic FM that levers me awake. The music is ok, the awakening is mainly because of the sponsorship of their early morning output by The Woodland Trust, who are very upset (along with their colleagues at the Grauniad) about the plot by Network Rail to fell lineside trees.

(And to explain that:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133711-the-guardian-millions-of-trees-at-risk-in-secretive-network-rail-felling-programme/page-18 )

Anyway.  Hello!  We're trying to keep standards going....

(At 6am with a fine single malt, they'd have been blotto for six hours, to the benefit of all and sundry!)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

PS, please tell me that, when I feel better and go back over the recent pages, I won't find green-glowing Cat-Nuns or semi-naked fruit-toting red-heads.

I am rather hoping that was all part of the delirium.

I am happy to tell you that.

Although if questioned later I will maintain that I was mis-understood, or mis-spoke, or my account was hacked by the GRU.

• Like 1

In the context of "work/flu semi-consciousness", continuous listing to Radio 4 is possibly the worst thing to submit yourself to!  I had to give up waking to the Today programme because the broadcast content between the radio kicking in and my gaining full consciousness was giving me nightmares...

I even gave up on Radio 3, its now Classic FM that levers me awake. The music is ok, the awakening is mainly because of the sponsorship of their early morning output by The Woodland Trust, who are very upset (along with their colleagues at the Grauniad) about the plot by Network Rail to fell lineside trees.

(And to explain that:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133711-the-guardian-millions-of-trees-at-risk-in-secretive-network-rail-felling-programme/page-18 )

Anyway.  Hello!  We're trying to keep standards going....

(At 6am with a fine single malt, they'd have been blotto for six hours, to the benefit of all and sundry!)

I gave up on the Today programme years ago – can't be doing with that sort of thing before my beta-blockers have had a chance to kick in. Instead I immerse myself in the cosy echo-chamber of my Twitter feed...

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that I find Radio 3 very civilised. It has announcers who know what they are talking about (often professional musicians themselves), provides a completely unpredictable music menu which has introduced me to more new composers than this thread has to hitherto unknown Pre-Raff artists and has news bulletins which contain as much information in three minutes as the television manages in half an hour. And no adverts, I was sad when Classic FM recently poached a Radio 3 staff member.

Unfortunately they had not invented it in 1905.

Jonathan

PS I still remember a concert from Cardiff when both the regular local announcers were taking part. So one introduced the first half, and then in the interval handed over to the other one so she could in turn go on stage.

• Like 4

I must admit that I find Radio 3 very civilised. It has announcers who know what they are talking about (often professional musicians themselves), provides a completely unpredictable music menu which has introduced me to more new composers than this thread has to hitherto unknown Pre-Raff artists and has news bulletins which contain as much information in three minutes as the television manages in half an hour. And no adverts, I was sad when Classic FM recently poached a Radio 3 staff member.

Unfortunately they had not invented it in 1905.

Jonathan

PS I still remember a concert from Cardiff when both the regular local announcers were taking part. So one introduced the first half, and then in the interval handed over to the other one so she could in turn go on stage.

Even Radio 3 went through a phase of silliness, which is when I consigned them to the outer darkness!  Of course, in 1905 that Marconi chappie was still experimenting with bundles of wire (Wireless? Ha!). We still had another 40 years to wait before the Third Programme...

I was mystified that a mythical beast which is basically a horse with a phallic symbol on its head is used to symbolise purity, but then, if people need to create such beasts when there are already so many wonderful and varied creatures in existence, then I think it a waste of poetic thinking (even in a visual artistic medium).

Someone once told me I was delusional.  I nearly fell off my unicorn!!   :jester:

PS, please tell me that, when I feel better and go back over the recent pages, I won't find green-glowing Cat-Nuns or semi-naked fruit-toting red-heads.

I am rather hoping that was all part of the delirium.

Nae chance!!    :no:

Jim

I dedicate this song to those invisible and undetectable operatives of the Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation (just as soon as they have any, that is). 

With profound apologies to Flanders & Swann

We’re GRU

We’re GRU

The G-Rubbish spies G-Russia sent to you

We’re GRU

How did we do?

We learnt the height of spires all over the EU

We’re GRU

Spelt S-N-A-F-U  

We’re g-really g-recognisable it’s true

So let us now deny

And give the West a big fat lie

Oh, g-nyet, g-nyet, g-nyet, we’re GRU

• RMweb Gold

While I was the Guild editor Jaqui Thomas turned up at Guildex with an article on producing two accessories for a resistance soldering unit. She went off to buy a model of a Lister but caused some displeasure on the stand when commenting loudly that's more than I paid for a real one. It turned out she had a two foot gauge railway in the garden. Her husband was aquiring a signal box to erect alongside. The only other person I knew into 12inch:1ft modelling was the Late Sir William with his standard gauge line at Fawley. Oh just remembered Stuart Browne of Archangle models did have a full size narrow gauge line round a field we did get to ride that.

I must say that picture of 517 looks very useful I have a  JLTRT kit for one in 7mm to build and a Mallard one in 4mm stored away.

Don 

• Like 1

I was going to have a grumpy moan about public funding of Radio 3, given the incredibly narrow appeal that it has, but the facts don’t support me ...... even I can’t moan much about something that appears to cost about 80p per head of population per annum!

Interesting chart here https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/7/18/1342601397536/BBC-spending-graphic-009.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I meant to comment on the unicorn. Is it just me or does it seem to have become the favoutie animal of young girls and often sems to be pink? I can't understand why. Is there a symbolism I have missed? Even so I understand they were not too common in the Achings in 1905.

Re Radio 3 - I would gladly pay a licence fee but they abolished it as too expensive to collect.

And I am still savouring HRoth's statement.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

I read through a weekday's postings when I get home so sometimes am late coming to the key unanswered question of the day, which IMHO today is not:

hallucination of green cat-nuns;

Radio 4;

Radio 3;

or

the improvement in academic standards if funding levels were increased to the single malt level;

but:

why wingplates?

• Like 2

e.g. Lord of the Rings. Allegedly the result of a bet JRR took whilst imbibing at the Eagle & Child in Oxford.

The effect of said bottle on a pair of Art-School types in the Swinging Sixties was, to my mind, infinitely preferable:—

• Like 8

Добрый вечер, Джеймс

Мы очень наслаждаемся твоя юмористическая песня.  завтра мы едем в Дарлингтон для измерения шпиля.

мы могли бы встретиться, чтобы дать вам укол гриппа в Асда

:O

Добрый вечер, Джеймс

Мы очень наслаждаемся твоя юмористическая песня.  завтра мы едем в Дарлингтон для измерения шпиля.

мы могли бы встретиться, чтобы дать вам укол гриппа в Асда

:O

That's quite chilling, David.  I thought when you said you were a "sleeper" it was because you kept nodding off.

Now I realise you are an "illegal", whereas I, presently, am merely an ill Legal