• RMweb Premium

Would that be the Lady of the Lake?

attachicon.giflakeside-kelpie.jpg

"The Kelpie" Herbert James Draper (1863-1920)

There are ferns, ok, trees.  Its ART!!!

Euston, we have a Problem.

post-29416-0-26972400-1538901165_thumb.jpg

THE Lady of the Lake is Vivienne or Nimue, who hands Arthur the sword Excalibur - and possibly receives it back again: 

So flash'd and fell the brand Excalibur: 
But ere he dipt the surface, rose an arm 
Clothed in white samite, mystic, wonderful, 
And caught him by the hilt, and brandish'd him 
Three times, and drew him under in the mere. 

She may also be the Lady of Shallot but certainly not any random kelpie.
Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

THE Lady of the Lake is Vivienne or Nimue, who hands Arthur the sword Excalibur - and possibly receives it back again: 

Well, you certainly know your onions...

Euston, we have a Problem.

attachicon.gifLNWR_engine_No.531_'Lady_of_the_Lake'_(grey) (1).jpg

So flash'd and fell the brand Excalibur: 
But ere he dipt the surface, rose an arm 
Clothed in white samite, mystic, wonderful, 
And caught him by the hilt, and brandish'd him 
Three times, and drew him under in the mere. 

Well, the problem with Sheepbutts LoL is its a loco and not even remotely PreRaff, and all the standard PreRaff LoLs look like Athena Wet T-shirt poster girls.  Then there's the well known criticism about watery maidens not being the correct basis for government.

So in the spirit of openness.....  :whistle:

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium

"watery maidens not being the correct basis for government"

I hadn't thought of our Teresa in that light before.

Mind you, could a bevy of pre-Raff maidens do any worse than the current incumbents of Westminster, regardless of party, creed or colour?

No, we mustn't get into politics. And the Suffragette movement is a bit late for CA, as I doubt if they would have arrived in the boondocks from the metropolis in only two years.

I like 517s but am not very enamoured with 567 by the time the BCR had done its worst, even though one is being scratch built for our club layout, wing plates or no.

And no, Edwardian, you cannot run one on CA. It is too early for the GWR to have been selling them off.

I assume that the all brown livery introduced early in the century by the GWR was to save money in cleaning and repainting. There is an interesting discussion in the new Southern Style book on the BR Southern Region on the relative costs of painting and cleaning SR green and the new BR two-colour livery. It was the main reason the Region was pressing for a return to green. Presumably the same issues would have affected the GWR two-colour livery.

However, it does have the advantage that I can have GWR carriages in chocolate and cream, brown and lake in 1912.

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I’m getting worried about you posting LNWR piccys and working on a Dean Goods, Stephen, are you sure you don’t want to drink some of this Crimson Lake mixture until you recover?

Too true. I should really get round to doing something about this.

• RMweb Gold

However, it does have the advantage that I can have GWR carriages in chocolate and cream, brown and lake in 1912.

Given the introduction of brown in 1908, and the 4 year repainting cycle, I am not sure how much chocolate and cream would still be around - it would be mostly brown.

• RMweb Premium

I agree.

I see you, like me, have gone for soldering on the number at a relatively early stage! I note the Dubs works plate too. You've had me scurrying away to consult Summerson on the cab roof ventilator, a detail I confess I was ignorant of! I also have a started Craftsman kit for a 0-4-4T. Is yours the Slaters 7mm kit? Beware the front footsteps - these were an addition from c. 1907 - at least, the only examples I can find of engines with brass numerals and front footsteps are ones which have been renumbered using the brass numerals.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Given the introduction of brown in 1908, and the 4 year repainting cycle"

I have to agree, and I have always been aware that I am pushing likelihood a little. However, this is South Wales, where things are often a bit behind the times in passenger stock and I suspect that repainting may have been a little less frequent.

On the other hand, dropping C&C would save me the problem of lining the things out.

It I went a bit earlier, say 1909, I could still have the C&C and brown and complement them with lake RR carriages, I suppose. But then I can't have so many of the RR 18 ft long wagons. 

So it is Rule 1 I am afraid.

Which of course is the Rule Edwardian will apply when a 517 steams into CA.

Jonathan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I see you, like me, have gone for soldering on the number at a relatively early stage! I note the Dubs works plate too. You've had me scurrying away to consult Summerson on the cab roof ventilator, a detail I confess I was ignorant of! I also have a started Craftsman kit for a 0-4-4T. Is yours the Slaters 7mm kit? Beware the front footsteps - these were an addition from c. 1907 - at least, the only examples I can find of engines with brass numerals and front footsteps are ones which have been renumbered using the brass numerals.

The roof vents got a mention in volume one, covering general details, most photos you’re lucky if you can see the ends of the guides. Footsteps, yes, probably they shouldn’t be there for my era, 1900ish, but it doesn’t look right for the poor old footplate crew without them. Then there’s the second whistle and lamp irons.

Edit: I sorry, I missed out about the Slaters kit. I think it is, I got it off eBay, and it came in a plain box with bubble wrap. No markings, no instructions, no coupling rods or buffer beam. Easy enough to do, but there are a few mystifying bits which have got me baffled quite what they’re intended for, and I’ve nearly finished the superstructure.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 3

'flu has pretty much arrested modelling development, but I did manage another session on the Drill Hall yesterday.

What can I say? It is the most time-consuming project ever.

I have been thinking ahead to the population of the Drill Hall.  In my, not very extensive, collection of military figures I found that the closest I could get in terms of period were some French Third Republic infantry.

Unless the French had successfully invaded in the 1860s and remained in occupation ever since, there seems to be no explanation, representing the ultimate Brexiter nightmare, as foreshadowed by Monty Python.

The French themselves appeared unperturbed, claiming:

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries 

Now go away or I will taunt you a second time!

post-25673-0-81835700-1538988134_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

'flu has pretty much arrested modelling development, but I did manage another session on the Drill Hall yesterday.

What can I say? It is the most time-consuming project ever.

I have been thinking ahead to the population of the Drill Hall.  In my, not very extensive, collection of military figures I found that the closest I could get in terms of period were some French Third Republic infantry.

Unless the French had successfully invaded in the 1860s and remained in occupation ever since, there seems to be no explanation, representing the ultimate Brexiter nightmare, as foreshadowed by Monty Python.

The French themselves appeared unperturbed, claiming:

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries 

Now go away or I will taunt you a second time!

Kelpies, képis, whatever next?

While we are inter alia on the subject of railmotors, there is quite a well-known, albeit short-lived, early example from the Bristol & Exeter.  Dating from1850, I have seen this modelled at least once.

What I had not known, until yesterday (when looking up Ariel's Girdle) is that the Eastern Counties Railway had introduced a railmotor the year before, 1849.  This would have been standard gauge, as the ECR had adopted this around 1845.

According to Allen in 1847 the ECR introduced the first of what at the time were termed "light locomotives"; it was designed by James Samuel, then Engineer of the ECR, and built by W. Bridges Adams, of the Fairfield Works, Bow. This curious machine was 12 ft. 6 in. long, was carried on four wheels, and weighed no more than 1¼ tons. Above the 3 ft. 4 in. driving wheels, at one end of the chassis, stood a vertical boiler, and the other end was provided with seats, the whole forming a kind of mobile inspection coach. On a "Press" trip from Shoreditch to Cambridge, the journey of 47½ miles was completed in 2¼ hours, inclusive of three stops of ten minutes each; the maximum speed attained was 43 mile/h, although on another occasion the Express, as it was called, is said to have reached 47 mile/h. During a period of six months this primitive steam car ran 5,526 miles on a total consumption of 7 tons 9 cwt. of coke, which works out at no more than 3 lb. per mile.

In 1849 Adams followed Express by building the first true railcar. On a single rigid frame he mounted at one end a 2 ft. 6 in. diameter boiler, pressed to 120 psi above a 2-2-0 chassis with 8 in. by 12 in. cylinders and 5 ft. diameter driving wheels; at the other end was a four-compartment carriage body seating 42 passengers, carried on two rigid axles. To enable this lengthy combination to traverse the curves, only the end pairs of wheels were provided with flanges. The weight of the whole was 15 tons 7 cwt. On a test trip, the railcar is said to have worked over the 126 miles from Shoreditch to Norwich in 3 hours 35 minutes. Later it was installed on the Enfield branch, which left the main line at Angel Road, and received the name Enfield. In actual working, however, it was found troublesome to have the locomotive and coach on the same frame, and the combination was therefore cut in two; the locomotive was provided with a bunker and a rear pair of wheels, and thus became a 2-2-2 tank. http://www.steamindex.com/locotype/gerloco.htm

And now, in Glorious Technicolor ....

post-25673-0-40476800-1538991648_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Castle Aching Nouveau

As a child I never had either the Airfix Foreign Legion set or the Fort Sahara, though I had a tin containing my father's Airfix Bedouin.

I notice, though, that these days 'RTR' standards (and prices) have risen, though there might be some accuracy issues if the Italeri "Muslim Warriors" set is included, as this included every type from the Sudan to the North West Frontier!  Still, 'Touareg Revolt, 1877-1912' sounds suitably pre-Grouping.

post-25673-0-84023800-1538997128_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-79493600-1538997143.jpg

post-25673-0-72101300-1538997161.jpg

post-25673-0-52943200-1538997176.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 9