• RMweb Gold

Political?

Us?

Perish the thort!

I need a new mouse, this one has a mind of its own...

We are all agreed on the subject: all politicians are awful, and the current crop even more so.

And if you read back through history, you will find exactly the same thing being said over the millennia.

• RMweb Premium

Or, Ewan Christian (1814–95), he of the East Window at St James the Great, Castle Acre.

He was Architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners from 1851 to 1895.  As such, he was responsible for restorations and new-builds all over the country. Such work involved a variety of designs, styles and materials, though I note with pleasure that his design for his own house is in the Queen Anne/ Domestic Revival style that I really enjoy.

Anyhow, in the course of my browsing, I discovered that he was responsible for a building of which I am particularly fond, St Marks, Leicester. 

Leicester has its historic corners and some very fine architecture, but it also has its share of post war "town planning" Ring Road and Roundabout Land, which is apt to seem somewhat soulless. Prominent in one such unpromising location is this large and dominant church, the apse and tower thrusting out defiantly into the traffic. Apparently built as an Evangelical preaching church, it is on a scale resembling the sort of large preaching church built outside the walls of Italian cities by mendicant orders in the Middle Ages. 

I love the bold and original layout, giving great movement to the prominent eastern end, and the impact of the use of local Charnwood stone-slate and the contrast with limestone.  

Why does it have 'The Empire' in raised lettering on the aspe?

In this secluded backwater, it may have passed notice that Hornby have released their 2019 catalogue.

Pretty much all of it is science fiction stuff as far as Castle Aching is concerned, though there are New Tooled Terriers (DCC ready for those that want it) and a reintroduction of the GWR 4-2-2 3031 "Achilles".  Oh and brand new short clerestorys to hack at, the longer, slightly more prototypical ones will be available too......

What a well-behaved little dog!

All the dogs we've had would have been arguing with the swans....

And you can tell that the artist was more interested in composition than reality, look at the wind on the womans dress, and the pennant on the Wherry, and observe the set of its sail!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

Oh dear! My mention of Scruton seems to have triggered politcal tirades that might easily get CA shut down.

About going back in time: I'd quite like to have been around these parts (the Tyne valley) in earlier centuries.

First: mention of Bywell and its two churches, in separate churchyards to either side of a market cross now standing in total isolation alongside a water meadow. It is apparently the site of a once bustling market settlement supporting a pre Conquest church and a later Perp hall church. Was it the Scottish wars that saw it obliterated?

Second: I'd have loved to have witnessed Lord Carlisle's waggonway transforming into a railway (along with Rocket) And also the machinations around whether to build a ship canal through the Tyne Gap or the N&C.

Trouble is I'd have been some kind of under trodden serf.

dh

........ When's that map from, please, Jim?

The map is the 1931/32 revision, published 1933.  If you look at the page showing the map of the UK and zoom in on the area, you get this!  You'll have to close the 'help' box whixh comes up over the map to view it.

post-25077-0-88541800-1546876323.jpg

The NLS maps website is a site you could spend hours on looking at how places have developed over time.

BTW, that first map also has Dalry Road shed on it, top left hand corner.

Jim

• Like 4

I always knew that Hornby would be onto something if they re-released the Triang Clerestories. Hopefully the second hand price will fall again.

I want a single and a ton of clerestories please. Plus a Peckett and a Terrier...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Today walking past our local estate agents office I espied a poster advertising their services as autioneers. What particularly drew my attention was a model loco as one of the sort of items they might auction. I could not recognised the railway lettering on the sides of the loco until I realised it was GWR  but reversed, obviously someone had reversed the image. Gives one great confidence they would appreciate the value of any model loco.

Don 

• RMweb Premium

What a well-behaved little dog!

All the dogs we've had would have been arguing with the swans....

And you can tell that the artist was more interested in composition than reality, look at the wind on the womans dress, and the pennant on the Wherry, and observe the set of its sail!

Have seen two white boats ( Yare and Bure one design ) both sailing towards each other, both on a full run head on. As they crossed one went into an impressive Chinese gybe.

However I agree with you, with the wind directions, also in order to get the rowing boat into the left hand side of the picture the jib club has been drawn impossibly high and incorrectly rigged. (I've actually got a new jib club in the workshop I'm making at the moment).

Should anyone wish to hire a similar broads yacht to that moored, with paraffin lamps and cookers and experience the broads in the way advertised then see..

https://www.huntersyard.co.uk a registered charity looking after these beautiful historic craft.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

I very much doubt a lady would end up smiling and elegant like that if, today, she jumped off a boat on the Broads wearing an ankle length skirt and heels.

I'm also puzzled by the black mass on her... decollatage. I honestly can't work out what it is. Is it supposed to be a scarf? Or is it a very cuddly Highland terrier?

Don't blame me!!  :scared:   Linny asked where it came from, so I obliged!   :O

Jim

I wouldn't mind. but I am now using the side-by-side comparison of the 1885 map against the satellite image view to trace the trackbeds of closed lines and whilst I may have now discovered the exact location of a couple of long-gone overbridges and level crossings that I will investigate on the way to work tomorrow morning - I forgot about the potatos on the cooker! Must dash!!

• RMweb Premium

I very much doubt a lady would end up smiling and elegant like that if, today, she jumped off a boat on the Broads wearing an ankle length skirt and heels.

I'm also puzzled by the black mass on her... decollatage. I honestly can't work out what it is. Is it supposed to be a scarf? Or is it a very cuddly Highland terrier?

It’s a hole in the poster.
  • Like 2

We are all agreed on the subject: all politicians are awful, and the current crop even more so.

And if you read back through history, you will find exactly the same thing being said over the millennia.

I just thought these quotations reflected the times we are experiencing in this divided nation. Thank goodness for model railways to maintain one’s sanity.

"Politicians are like nappies, they should be changed regularly for the same reason."

Patrick Murray

“It’s no good telling the politicians to go to hell because they’re building it for us.”                                    

Les Dawson

• Like 5