• RMweb Premium

I very much doubt a lady would end up smiling and elegant like that if, today, she jumped off a boat on the Broads wearing an ankle length skirt and heels.

I'm also puzzled by the black mass on her... decollatage. I honestly can't work out what it is. Is it supposed to be a scarf? Or is it a very cuddly Highland terrier?

As a pretty much constant wearer of ankle length skirts I would have to agree.  Managing to jump/leap/hop from a boat and arrive safely on the bank would require some rare skirt management skills.  I pass on the heels though.  A girl friend of mine once persuaded me against my better judgement to wear a pair of her heels for a walk into town and back, - a distance of about a mile and half, - and by the time I arrived back at the house I was just about crippled.  Sensible flats for this lady and since I'm 5ft 9" to start with I don't need any boosting in height thank you very much.  As for jumping off boats wearing a pair of heels you only see that kind of thing in the movies and then the actress has a stunt double.

The strange black mass resting upon her decolletage is in fact one of those very fine silky scarves that are lighter than a maiden's sigh despite being about a square yard in size and are devils of things to keep in nice condition because they catch on everything and tear oh so very easily.  Dressing up posh is nice, but it don't half get expensive.  I gave it up about fifteen years ago and go for practical comfort instead these days.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I do like your choice of posters, Annie, roll on the summer....

Thanks Northroader, but the pity of it is that there are precious few GER posters around to be found on the interwebs.

An interesting point though.  When I first started reading this thread over a year ago I was modelling the NER and somehow I now find myself building models of GER tramways in Norfolk.  I made a valiant rear guard action in an attempt to escape by running double headed 'Super Ds' on 60+ wagon coal trains on a Scottish Borders layout, but was not to be and I was drawn back like a fish caught in a net to East Anglia and Norfolk once more.

GER blue is an awfully nice colour though.............

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Judging by the fashions they should be along any time. the GER poster is much safer.

Hullabaloos have also featured here previously - my fault that time.

To make amends:

attachicon.gifIMG_20151012_0008.jpg

With no half naked ladies of wherries in eddies.

Jonathan

That wall looks familiar.

Ah yes, it crosses England somewhere in Nottinghamshire. At least, I am sure I saw Kevin Costner climbing over it when acting as Robin of Loxley...

• RMweb Gold

I just thought these quotations reflected the times we are experiencing in this divided nation. Thank goodness for model railways to maintain one’s sanity.

"Politicians are like nappies, they should be changed regularly for the same reason."

Patrick Murray

“It’s no good telling the politicians to go to hell because they’re building it for us.” 

Les Dawson

I was thinking more of people like Cicero:

“Politicians are not born: they are excreted.” (Patrick Murray was merely paraphrasing!)

“More is lost by indecision than wrong decision. Indecision is the thief of opportunity. It will steal you blind.”

Sounds like my modelling of late...

Although for anyone who thinks “less is more” is a new idea, Seneca the younger beat them to it by nearly 2,000 years:

“It is quality rather than quantity that matters.”

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A now and then comparison - mind you the 'then' is decidedly circumspect about letting on that the port of Newhaven is at the far end of the bay. It was far busier then than now.

post-14351-0-56346500-1546936036.png post-14351-0-08060900-1546936060_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Alas, Annie is right. i have over 250 posters on my hard drive but none from the GER though a number from the NER. However, there are a few with the right sentiment even if not pre-grouping. I offer you a selection:

post-13650-0-09230700-1546949078_thumb.jpg

post-13650-0-21740600-1546949296_thumb.jpgpost-13650-0-47590600-1546949359.jpg

And I hope it is not too late in the season for this one.

post-13650-0-07939800-1546949465.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 9

I just thought these quotations reflected the times we are experiencing in this divided nation. Thank goodness for model railways to maintain one’s sanity.

"Politicians are like nappies, they should be changed regularly for the same reason."

Patrick Murray

“It’s no good telling the politicians to go to hell because they’re building it for us.”                                    

Les Dawson

But bear in mind the old adage (which I just made up) that says "you can ignore Politics if you wish, but rest assured, Politics won't ignore you"...

• Like 1

Alas, Annie is right. i have over 250 posters on my hard drive but none from the GER though a number from the NER. However, there are a few with the right sentiment even if not pre-grouping. I offer you a selection:

attachicon.gifBR Boston.jpg

[attachment=1098542:LNER Bury St EDmunds.jpg

Thank you for posting that Freda Marston poster of Boston stump.

She was an incredibly prolific artist (check her 1885-1949 bio here  and also click on images of her work). She was particularly good at beautiful topographical carriage paintings.

In my late teens early twenties I had a crush on her carriage paintings - seeking out LNER carriage compartments wherever I could find them - often as oddments coupled next to the engine (which was another aesthetic joy somewhere along the Cambrian listening to and feeling the jerking of a Collett 0-6-0)

It does seem that carriage paintings, compared to posters, have almost been forgotten 

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifBR Boston.jpg

post-13650-0-21740600-1546949296_thumb.jpgattachicon.gifThe Broads.jpg

And I hope it is not too late in the season for this one.

attachicon.gifpost-6859-0-16993000-1461414804.jpg

Jonathan

I love old railway posters and I have a small collection on my hard drive too.  Lacking for proper GER posters I may have to create some forgeries for my stations.  Of course a certain poster often appears on the boards at various of my stations, but I really do need more of them.

j8lho3R.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I love old railway posters and I have a small collection on my hard drive too.  Lacking for proper GER posters I may have to create some forgeries for my stations.  Of course a certain poster often appears on the boards at various of my stations, but I really do need more of them.

I did one because the picture looked as if it should be one - it was more inspired by railway posters than for use on a model, A rather tatty wharf with no passengers wouldn't need one - that is when I actually stop buying bits and pieces and get going on the railway side of the wharf!. My poster stock has been from the southern counties - Bluebell, KESR & IOWSR.

post-14351-0-43239400-1546955980_thumb.jpg

I rather like this one from the Bluebell Railway. We have had some good meals in what is now The Moorings restaurant at Pevensey Bay. I am not sure if that was the hotel on the Southern board or whether it just acquired the name, Yes, I know that it is post-grouping but when has this forum kept on the main-line?

post-14351-0-02553900-1546956295_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I didn't realise that the Castle Aching poster was your work Phil.  I hope you don't mind me using it on my small Norfolk tramways as it's only for my own personal use and I wouldn't be uploading it anywhere.

That Bluebell railway poster board is nice as well as the original old posters on it.  It's now filed away in my old railway poster collection.

• Like 1

The 'Explore the Sunshine Coast' one reminds me of a ticket that gave me a very interesting Whitsun half-term holiday from school, and which was probably the descendant of that one. It gave rail travel in a triangle Tunbridge Wells - Rye-Brighton, plus the bus Lewes-Uckfield (the railway over that bit had already closed). Myself and a pal used it to explore just about everything we could think of, covering areas away from stations by bike (which we never had tickets for, but took on the trains) or on foot. I have a feeling that we paid 40p (half fare) for the week in 1971, so if the full fare was 80p (16/-), it hadn't inflated much since SR days!

The relevant area, and especially the delights of Pevensey Bay, got discussed in "Umber is the New Black", I think.

• Like 1

I didn't realise that the Castle Aching poster was your work Phil.  

Shadow's, I think: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=3233422

I hope you don't mind me using it on my small Norfolk tramways as it's only for my own personal use and I wouldn't be uploading it anywhere.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=3235278

• RMweb Premium

Those of you who are early risers will have seen this post,

cos I put it in the wrong thread.

post-15969-0-93995300-1546966414.jpg

Peer into the back ground and you can see Windmill house.

Yours to rent for your holidays in Horning..

http://horningholida...t/the-windmill/

(A friend of mine runs the Agency)

(No I can't get you a discount)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise that the Castle Aching poster was your work Phil.  I hope you don't mind me using it on my small Norfolk tramways as it's only for my own personal use and I wouldn't be uploading it anywhere.

That Bluebell railway poster board is nice as well as the original old posters on it.  It's now filed away in my old railway poster collection.

I think my involvement with the poster was the coat of arms - although there were a number of different ones mooted, so mine may not have made the final cut. Looking back, unsuccessfully, to find my input, I realized that the Seaford poster had originated from here and the 'current' view was posted in reply - back in July when there was a previous outburst of poster posting.

• Like 1

I think my involvement with the poster was the coat of arms - although there were a number of different ones mooted, so mine may not have made the final cut. Looking back, unsuccessfully, to find my input, I realized that the Seaford poster had originated from here and the 'current' view was posted in reply - back in July when there was a previous outburst of poster posting.

Yes, Phil very kindly rendered my crude sketch into a nice graphic of the coat of arms, which, historians of the parish may note, is when we decided to adopt the Dodo as one of the quarters! 

Meanwhile, back at the Drill Hall ....

post-25673-0-34466000-1547013360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 13