The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Sir Terry Wogan dies

beast66606

Can barely believe we've lost yet another legend in what has become a dire year in just the first month.

His legacy will live on in the hearts and minds of all those kids of the 60s and 70s who were weaned every morning on his breakfast show.

RIP Terry

Sad to hear he has passed on, one of the few of his era not implicated in YewTree so glad he has been a jovial Irish man.

Looks like we are now getting to the era of those who didn't die from drink and drugs are passing away with old age ailments.

• RMweb Premium

Like many have said before waking up to Wogan always made you smile.

Went to Prams in the Park or was it that year Prawns in the Pork at Hyde Park some years back, a very special evening.

RIP Sir Terry Wogan

Terry (Eltel)

• RMweb Premium

What a sad day . Feels like I've lost an old friend.

I was brought up on Terry's radio show in the 70s . My mother was an avid listener and , although it wasn't cool to admit it , I gradually got to enjoy it too. Remember the description of the antics of the Virgins on the top floor of Broadcasting House, as seen from Terry's window , of course, or the pronouncements of the DG. Then there was the misunderstanding of the Lyrics of the songs. Remember Lucille with 400 children and a croc in the field. I still sing it that way when it comes on the radio. Then there was Perry Como and the Hitler Youth ( I just find the concept of that hysterical) singing the theme from the Odessa File. The change overs between Ray Moore and him and at the other end of his show with Jimmy Young were usually very funny. But even though they took the Michael out of each other there was also a warmth there, and you'll felt it, that cosy glow!

Then of course he came back to radio with his producer Pauly Walters, Fran Godfrey,deadly Allancoat and John of the Janet and John stories. Got me to work with a smile on my face on days when that was genuinely a challenge.

Thanks for seeing me through Terry. You were sadly missed when you left the Breakfast Show 6 years ago . You'll be even more missed now you've made the Ultimate departure. What better accolade can there be than you brought joy and laughter to people in their millions. God Bless and Rest in Peace

Remember Lucille with 300 children and a croc in the field.

Pedant mode on:

Think it was 400 children actually (a mis-statement of '4 hungry children and a crop in the field')

Pedant mode off

Yes, that was a favourite of mine. I remembered it after I'd posted earlier. I remember him playing it during his first 'last show' in 1984. '400 children? Sure, no wonder she left him!'

• RMweb Premium

Friend is a word that is cropping up a lot, and he had a way of presenting that really made you feel he was talking to you directly. He had a genuine connection with his listeners and I think people really did feel he was a friend even though few ever met him. His interaction with his producers, news readers and others was also rather wonderful. Usually when big name celebs involve those around them it all feels either very contrived or it feels like a gang of fawning underlings acting as fodder for an alpha male (or female) but in Terry's case his studio banter always felt like genuine banter and fun and those around him never felt like they were there just to make him look good. He had that gift too of being able to make risqué jokes and observations without being vulgar or offensive, what a change from the sort of crude comments that pass for wit in most of the media. He could talk for ages without really saying anything, usually that'd be a criticism but in his case he was so warm and amusing people loved his meandering. This really is a sad day.

Having gravitated from Radio Caroline to Radio 1, I moved to Radio 2 long-term as be-suits my age and Terry Wogan's voice was a way of life in a morning while I worked. 'Mulligans Tyre's' had been played several times before I realised it was Mul-of-Mintyre.  The inner chuckle used to make my ribs ache. Rest in peace Sir Terry.

Another of his, that's stayed with me for forty-odd years: "She's a Muscular Boy, by Herman's Hermits".

The Nim.

I was driving to work in Gt. Yarmouth one morning, when I had to pull over - I was crying with laughter.

Was it Janet & John, or maybe the letter from Rudolph Hucker ?

I really can't remember, but his show as a joy and cheered up the start to many a dreary day.

As others have said: so sadly missed and no one to step into his shoes. R.I.P.

• RMweb Gold

A sad day. The lovely chap was just part of the furniture of the nation.

I first remember hearing him in 1969 when he took over Jimmy Young's programme in one of my first temporary student jobs in a mortuary. Always brought a smile in a grim place.

On a lighter note I just loved his 'naughty' Janet and John stories! Brings a smile to my face even now. To me that says so much about him.

• RMweb Premium

I was driving to work in Gt. Yarmouth one morning, when I had to pull over - I was crying with laughter.

Was it Janet & John, or maybe the letter from Rudolph Hucker ?

I wonder how many road accidents he was responsible for, like you, many a time I've been in tears of laughter whist driving and listening to his Janet & John stories. RIP Togmiester.

• RMweb Gold

Sad news indeed.

I used to look forward to the banter between Terry and Ray Moore in the hand over between their programmes at 07.30 whilst driving up to Chiswick from Farnham each morning - certainly made the traffic jams bearable.

RIP

I remember the same banter between him and Jimmy Young. I grew up listening to him. A real radio star who understood that to be great, you have to be humble.

Archived