• RMweb Premium

A couple from my travels today.

My first ever visit to Birmingham Moor Street and quite a contrast between old and new

68008 "Avenger" ready to work 1H45 1255 to Marylebone.

post-408-0-50041500-1468449067_thumb.jpg

Later in the day, 68018 "Vigilant" passing Doncaster station on the 1605 Doncaster Decoy to York Thrall sidings. The train is a welded rail carrier with a single JJA Autoballaster at the back.

post-408-0-18141700-1468449069_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Banbury remodeling is now complete and the depot reception road and Departure road are now available and in use for stabling by Chiltern.

the following photos show 68011 passing Banbury Depot South End Connection (doesn't get to be the first train into the depot)  

post-19340-0-50964400-1470733477_thumb.jpg

68012 was the first train into the depot and stabled overnight, plus 7 coaches and DVT

post-19340-0-15455900-1470733486_thumb.jpg

post-19340-0-15327400-1470733471_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Whoever left all that crap lying around and those cables like that deserves sacking.

Network rail preaches to train operators about the most trivial things yet it can't keep its own house in order

• RMweb Premium

Whoever left all that crap lying around and those cables like that deserves sacking.

Network rail preaches to train operators about the most trivial things yet it can't keep its own house in order

At least us modellers can hide the wiring on the underside of the layout..............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No photos sadly, but 68022 was standing at Horsham this morning have brought down a track machine from Carlisle this morning. I assume it was top and tailed, but completely missed the lead engine. The will be heading to Norwich later this morning via the Brighton main line- Realtime Trains 070N, 09:15 from Horsham.

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few images that I took of the 68's on a short set Norwich to Lowerstoft.

post-6815-0-64041000-1471040779.jpg

post-6815-0-63618600-1471040846.jpg

post-6815-0-92501200-1471041004.jpg

And the Data Panel 

post-6815-0-61585900-1471041914.jpg

Just for good measure Fearless name plate.

post-6815-0-76785900-1471041695.jpg

Just for good measure the unbranded 37 that was doing the rounds

post-6815-0-96703100-1471041540.jpg

Enjoy

Terry

Edited by Trainshed Terry
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having once tripped on a loop of cable in ballast and spending 8 months having traction I hate to see things 'awaiting' recovery

True* - but with possessions, TOCS (and presumably FOCS) are the first to complain if things overrun or if the possession is booked for longer than is absolutely necessary. There was a lot to do in the Banbury job - hence why NR got on with demolishing Banbury South ASAP rather than carefully taking it down bit by bit (as demanded by lots of enthusiasts).

The big problem is the tendency for things to 'drop off the radar once a signalling project is commissioned - as the signalling designers / project mangers tend to treat it as 'job done' once their new toys are up and working correctly. Removing redundant equipment (just as with routine maintenance) is simply not 'sexy' enough for the high ups to really be concerned with. Its also tends to be labour intensive (another incentive not to do it)

Its not just railways that suffer from this though - Highways England can be just as bad about leaving stuff lying about.

* And as a NR track worker, scrap or redundant equipment abandoned beside or within the 4ft because 'there hasn't been time to recover it' for years (currently got over a mile of scrap rail that has been sitting in the 4ft for over 4 years now 'awaiting recovery' - and occasionally damaging our signalling kit) is a big problem for us, even within NR

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Gold

I know what you are saying Phil, the thing that annoys me with network rail is their double standards.

If things aren't right for them then things don't happen, if you aren't wearing the correct PPE you don't get access.

But no one can tell them to pick the crap up.

I take delight in pointing out rubbish on the lineside and other defects to senior managers when driving the saloon but frighteningly some of those don't understand what you are on about sometimes.

My first question to them is always'are you ex BR?' if the answer is no respect starts at zero and can go either way from there!

I saw a Q&A session with Mark Carne a while back, and he at least was adamant that this redundant junk should be cleared up because of the safety risk it poses. Made a big point of telling project managers that their job wasn't finished until the site was tidy. Some PMs seemed to think that the tidy up was some kind of optional extra.

Which illustrates the problem, but also that the NR chief executive is aware and considers it an important one to solve.

As an adjunct to that very point, if you don't mind me asking Russ, did you or the Union - if you're that way inclined - seek recompense after your fall and subsequent inability to work?

None of my business of course but an HSE ruling would be reason enough for management to insist a tidy worksite post occupation I'd have thought.

C6T.