• 3 weeks later...

Well according to a friend on Facebook. The first class 88 is been delivered to Carlisle on Tuesday by road. His statement is copied and pasted below. 88002 apparently.

"Not strictly rail I know but for anyone living near the M6 the first Sparkycat or 88 is enroute by road to Carlisle for delivery on Tuesday so should transit Preston area either late Monday or crack of Sparrows Tuesday. If not deemed relevant feel free to delete. The remainder are to ship in via Workington in two batches of 4 and 5 with the 7 new 68s not far behind"

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well according to a friend on Facebook. The first class 88 is been delivered to Carlisle on Tuesday by road. His statement is copied and pasted below. 88002 apparently.

"Not strictly rail I know but for anyone living near the M6 the first Sparkycat or 88 is enroute by road to Carlisle for delivery on Tuesday so should transit Preston area either late Monday or crack of Sparrows Tuesday. If not deemed relevant feel free to delete. The remainder are to ship in via Workington in two batches of 4 and 5 with the 7 new 68s not far behind"

Ian

This is due in Southampton on Sunday. Another well know railway forum reports that 88002 may be on board.

• RMweb Gold

I see the headlights are refusing to have their pictures taken again! I'd love to know what causes this phenomenon.

I went out with a mate for some beers yesterday happy to report the 20mph restriction at Witlingham has been removed

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see the headlights are refusing to have their pictures taken again! I'd love to know what causes this phenomenon.

I went out with a mate for some beers yesterday happy to report the 20mph restriction at Witlingham has been removed

The headlights strobe, very quickly, but the shutter speed of 1000s captures the flashing nature. I've also got them with one on, one off and both on.

post-6662-0-60204400-1484908951_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-88798600-1484908991_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've seen video footage of them where the lights appear to flash.

You'd think with the lights strobing it would give people headaches when driving at night but I've not found this to be the case and I do the late turn probably more than anyone

Because the strobe rate of the LEDs is faster than the human eye can detect, presumably that's why it's not headache inducing. It's the same phenomena as when videoing a CRT screen it appears to scroll. I'd always wondered by computers and TVs in news footage were flickering when I was a kid

Jo

• RMweb Premium

They are probably LED lights and it's very common for them to be pulsed. The switching is too fast for the human eye to detect (normally) but obviously the camera spots it. You'll also notice it on modern cars when they are filmed.

Beaten to it by Jo!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo

They are probably LED lights and it's very common for them to be pulsed. The switching is too fast for the human eye to detect (normally) but obviously the camera spots it. You'll also notice it on modern cars when they are filmed.

Beaten to it by Jo!

Cheers

Dave

Maybe not the purpose in this application, but pulsing LEDs is actually a novel way of energy saving. Due to the way the human eye acts, a pulsed light can appear just as intense as a permanent light, therefore you can reduce the duty cycle of the LED without any perceived difference. The human eye can only perceive a  light as pulsed below 60Hz (60 cycles a second), so provided the 68's headlight flash at a higher frequency you should not notice any strobing/flashing.

Wild Boar Fell

• 4 weeks later...