Great train robbery stupid question!

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

evening everyone just a quick and possibly a stupid question!

We all know what happened with the great train robbery, the robbers hooked up a battery to the lights to change the distant and home signal to yellow and red, now this might seem a stupid question but would the bell of rang in the cab because the driver had a clear route because the signals were in fact green?? I'm guessing just hooking a battery to the yellow/red light would not if caused the aws horn to go off?

Sorry if this has been asked and covered before.

Cheers

Not sure if the line was AWS fitted at the time, but as has been mentioned if you get a bell instead of a horn you would stop and report it. If you were going too fast to stop at that signal you would stop at the next one to report it. If he got a bell at that one as well he would be thinking it was a fault with the AWS equipment on the locomotive rather than the magnet on the track.

The robbers could have disconnected the electro magnet part of the AWS to give a horn instead of a bell, but if they did I have never seen any mention of it.

• RMweb Gold

Was looking for AWS implementation dates but the best I can come up with is approval in 1956

http://www.railsigns.uk/info/aws1/aws1.html

And as usual the community on here leads the way in meaningful explanations

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97877-functions-of-aws-and-tpws/

But we still don't know if AWS was fitted on that part of the WCML in the early 60s, although given that the Harrow and Wealdstone smash was a major driver it would look surprising if not....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

As a general rule the AWS would fail safe.

I believe that the signal actually failed even though the robbers tried to alter the aspect without warning the controlling box, there are reports of a signal failure sounding in Leighton Buzzard box (the controlling box - The box at Sears Crossing was replaced by IBS in 1961), and I would expect the AWS, if it were provided, to sound the warning.

Saying that ...

This was the time of the electrification and resignalling, I would guess it was pretty chaotic and things weren't always quite 100% perfect - being the good railwayman he was, driver Mills saw a red and stopped his train at it, the AWS probably didn't even register as such - there was a red and he needed to stop, despite having passed the distant at clear running at (probably) 80/90 mph.

I understood that AWS was fitted to distant signals (like the GWR ATC system) to repeat the signal's indication in the cab and apply the brakes. Even if AWS were installed lighting the red lamp would not have triggered it.

ATWS does the same for home signals, but is a later application and would not have been present in 1963.

Maybe I've got it wrong, in which case please correct me.

Beast has confirmed that it was an IB signal controlled from a local box so the multiple-aspect signalling that was part of the electrification project was not yet in use (even though pictures from the time show most or all of the OLE itself in place).  Therefore the signal was a stop signal in an Absolute Block area and at that time would have been unlikely to have had AWS. 

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what type of signal it was, but suspect it was a multi-aspect type, which would trigger an AWS warning with all aspects except green.

The IB Homes were 2 aspect (red/green) signals, I presume the distants were also 2 aspect (yellow/green but can't recall taking much notice of them from passing trains).

Something niggling in my mind suggest the IB signals weren't plated as IBs - anybody know for certain? 

The IB Homes were 2 aspect (red/green) signals, I presume the distants were also 2 aspect (yellow/green but can't recall taking much notice of them from passing trains).

Something niggling in my mind suggest the IB signals weren't plated as IBs - anybody know for certain? 

Mike, for some reason I'm unable to post it, but I have a photo taken from the IBS Home signal a few hours after daybreak on 8th August '63, the back of the signal head is open and it is clearly a two aspect type. I found it by googling images of the robbery so you may be able to find it. Gang member John Cordrey left the battery behind on the signals safety platform so you can easily see how it was rigged up.

Regarding the state of play with the OLE at the time of the robbery, at Sears Crossing the gantries were in place along with some of the 'dropper' arms but no wires were present.

(I think I need to change my settings to allow me to link images directly from my Photobucket account!).

***managed to make it work!***

post-7638-0-07391800-1456429726.jpg

This view was taken from the overbridge seen in the distance in the first photo I posted, looking south, left to right : Up Slow, Down Slow, Up Fast, Down Fast. Driver Mills stopped 1M44 at the signal on the Up Fast, it was whilst stopped here that 'Buster' Edwards and one other gang member entered his cab while two other members uncoupled the set between the second and third vehicles. From this point, Driver Mills was forced into moving the front portion down to Bridego Bridge...

post-7638-0-94040400-1456430409.jpg

Archived