The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Suitable substitute for Word and Excel

Mad McCann

One for you IT guys.

It appears that access to these microsoft applications is now annual subscription.

Bearing in mind that on my last two laptops the software was a one off lifetime purchase I'm somewhat p155ed off that these billionaire to55pots have decided you need to stump up £75 a year for the privilege of using something you bought with the laptop.

Are there any free or reasonably priced alternatives out there as it's a little inconvenient not being able to create spreadsheets and documents.

Of course I can still hand write stuff...

Dave.

Depending on any standpoint you may have of course but I find Google Docs, Sheets and other apps very useful as they autosave to the cloud after every action and is immediately accessible on other devices if you have a Google account. Sheets is more basic than Excel but does 95% of what I normally need.

I used OpenOffice for some years, then when I had my ill fated attempt at moving to Linux started using LibreOffice, as that's what came with the versions of Linux I tried. When I had to go back to Windows I carried on using LibreOffice, but had a few annoying little problems with it, although I've now forgotten what they were. Maybe they were just bugs in the current version that have been fixed by now. Then I got a new laptop that already had OpenOffice installed, so I left it there. I didn't notice much difference between them, although I suppose that may change over time.

• RMweb Premium

I've used both Open Office and Libre Office, but prefer Open Office as it seemed a little more stable. Can't now remember what I was unhappy with in Libre Office.

Colin

I've used both and haven't found a problem with either but Libre Office is being developed more.

I've still got Lotus Smartsuite which works fine with W10 unlike my MS Office of the same era which wouldn't!

BTW if you have a smartphone consider something like Kingsoft Office for it, which reads and writes Office files. It's free.

That way you can keep documents on your phone as well.

I use it for my stock lists so I don't end up making duplicate purchases!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Macs come with Pages, their equivelent to Word installed for free. Plus Numbers and Keynote, the Apple equivelent to Excel and Powerpoint.

I would hardly call anything provided with a "Mac" as free considering the premium you have to pay for the privilege!

Keith

One for you IT guys.

It appears that access to these microsoft applications is now annual subscription.

Bearing in mind that on my last two laptops the software was a one off lifetime purchase I'm somewhat p155ed off that these billionaire to55pots have decided you need to stump up £75 a year for the privilege of using something you bought with the laptop.

Are there any free or reasonably priced alternatives out there as it's a little inconvenient not being able to create spreadsheets and documents.

Dave.

Presumably you have Office 365 - that is the only one for which an annual subscription is required as far as I can make out. Certainly have not had any requests from MS for payment for using Office  http://download.cnet.com/blog/download-blog/microsoft-office-2016-buy-vs-subscribe/

I would hardly call anything provided with a "Mac" as free considering the premium you have to pay for the privilege!

Sorry to go off-topic, but before starting the Mac v PC cost thing, you need to consider the cost of ownership. A friend of mine has owned four fairly expensive PC laptops which have all crapped out on him in just over the last seven years. He has finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel, bought a Mac and has found out how the pain ceases once you stop banging your head against Windows (to slightly mis-quote the well-known saying). He has not stopped talking about the build quality and functionality of his new machine.

My wife's nearly seven year old MacBookPro (which is still working very well and has never had anything spent on it) has over the same period cost almost six hundred pounds less than my friend's four PCs did and, in addition to the original purchase cost, he also spent out quite a lot of extra money on anti-virus software and several repairs.

In my view the Mac "office" applications are not perfect, but they are pretty good. We dumped MS Office and used the Mac software for the last five years of my business until I retired a few years ago and my clients and the accountants never noticed the difference.

JJ

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to go off-topic, but before starting the Mac v PC cost thing, you need to consider the cost of ownership. A friend of mine has owned four fairly expensive PC laptops which have all crapped out on him in just over the last seven years. He has finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel, bought a Mac and has found out how the pain ceases once you stop banging your head against Windows (to slightly mis-quote the well-known saying). He has not stopped talking about the build quality and functionality of his new machine.

My wife's nearly seven year old MacBookPro (which is still working very well and has never had anything spent on it) has over the same period cost almost six hundred pounds less than my friend's four PCs did and, in addition to the original purchase cost, he also spent out quite a lot of extra money on anti-virus software and several repairs.

In my view the Mac "office" applications are not perfect, but they are pretty good. We dumped MS Office and used the Mac software for the last five years of my business until I retired a few years ago and my clients and the accountants never noticed the difference.

JJ

Cost of ownership?

My Core i7 Acer (same spec as a Mac Book Pro) came with Windows 7 has been upgraded to Win 10 (free, obviously) and has apart from security software and some graphics software cost a little over a third of the cost of the equivalent Mac.

The build quality is every bit as good (and could well have come from the same Chinese factory!)

The only maintenance after 4 years of solid use is a new battery.

The MS Office was originally bought 14 years ago for a business machine and was dumped last year.

Lotus Smartsuite cost £19 (full version - genuine)

Libre Office etc. are free.

And then there's the myth of not needing security software.

Macs are being targeted as well.

This Desktop cost around £850 all up

It has a Core i7, 240Gb SSD, 1.5Gb HDD,16Gb ram, 8Gb Graphics, DVD writer, SB 5.1 sound card and 24" HD monitor.

I must admit the PSU failed after just over a year, a new one 50% higher rated cost £70

Lets see how much Macs would have saved me. Whoops I'd be loads out of pocket!

Keith

One for you IT guys.

Dave.

Not quite correct.

You can get a basic 2010 version for around £10.

Take a look at Amazon.

I use it and it opens any files that people with the full version send me.

This seems to be what was installed in the bundle that came with my previous laptop.

Just bought a new machine and was facing the same situation that you find your self in, so got this

Bernard

Cost of ownership?

My Core i7 Acer (same spec as a Mac Book Pro) came with Windows 7 has been upgraded to Win 10 (free, obviously) and has apart from security software and some graphics software cost a little over a third of the cost of the equivalent Mac.

The build quality is every bit as good (and could well have come from the same Chinese factory!)

The only maintenance after 4 years of solid use is a new battery.

The MS Office was originally bought 14 years ago for a business machine and was dumped last year.

Lotus Smartsuite cost £19 (full version - genuine)

Libre Office etc. are free.

And then there's the myth of not needing security software.

Macs are being targeted as well.

This Desktop cost around £850 all up

It has a Core i7, 240Gb SSD, 1.5Gb HDD,16Gb ram, 8Gb Graphics, DVD writer, SB 5.1 sound card and 24" HD monitor.

I must admit the PSU failed after just over a year, a new one 50% higher rated cost £70

Lets see how much Macs would have saved me. Whoops I'd be loads out of pocket!

Keith

Please no.

Not the Mac v PC flare-up again.

We will be having people drawing up chairs and buying popcorn next. :devil:

• RMweb Premium

One for you IT guys.

Dave.

There are different versions of MS Office.

You can get Office 365 and pay per year or buy a full MS Office 2016 (in different flavours) for a one off cost

Take your pick. Lower initial cost (or bundled) and pay up each year/month, or pay more up front and forget it.

Or go for the free suites mentioned earlier.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Further to this thread.

I earlier said that my Office 2000 stopped working on Win 10 and any attempt to reload/re-install it is met with "This software is not compatible with this version of Windows" and it bails out.

However a stand alone Word 2000 did install and after telling it to work in Compatibility mode for XP operates just fine.

Keith

Archived