Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

Hi,

Having watched the movie with the family this evening this thread caught my eye for the first time. As a further coincidence I have just introduced the boys to Hannibal Brooks so I was pleased to see Lucy on the layout as well.

Fantastic work, really impressive model. I hope to be able to see it for real some time.

Cheers,

Ben.

• Like 2

All. It's with regret that I've had to withdraw Remagen for the CMRA Show at Stevenage on 14th & 15th January 2017.

Apologies to anyone who was hoping to see the layout at the show.

Remagen isn't booked for any further shows this year. Her next outing is scheduled for 2018. If this changes, I'll let you know.

Cheers. Al.

Edited by Al.

I've not been getting much modelling done since the New Year. However I have had a couple of new arrivals turn up. A Trix Br-52 with condenser tender and a Fleischmann Br-01.

post-23643-0-09325800-1484138257_thumb.jpeg

Both will be heading to the work bench for some work. The -52 will be getting a new paint job and weathering. The -01 is scheduled for a bit of cosmetic surgery first.

Al.

• Like 3

Utterly inspiring modelling. If I can get my OO gauge a quarter as good as this, I will be pleased. On he subject of 'cameos', don't stop with Lucy the elephant. Can you find room for Kirk Douglas in chunky knitwear (possibly on a ferry), Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton generally causing mayhem and a 2mm scale Frank Sinatra with a POW train? Not geographically accurate, but why split rivets?

Without doubt, and without question, simply one of the best layouts I've ever seen. To say that it's N Gauge too, it just simply jaw-dropping.

As a kid, I was obsessed with WW2 models - tanks, infantry etc. This is just simply stunning. I love absolutely everything about it.

It's also good to see a fellow pvc board modeller - I too have an endless "free" supply *taps nose*

Some of you may remember Matthias Zeller from last years Warley Show. He,s company is KPF Zeller and he had a small stall beside Squires Tools from which he was selling rolling roads and track cleaning wagons. I had a chat with Matthias on the Saturday about his track cleaning wagon which he claimed to be as good as any on the market. He loaned me one of his wagons which I ran on Remagen for much of the weekend before buying it on Sunday evening.

post-23643-0-77290900-1484519974.jpeg

As you can see it's quite a large long wheel based chassis that doesn't match up with any of my stock. And the track cleaning arms aren't the easiest of thing to hide.

The solution was to turn it into an armoured wagon loosely based on one of these.

post-23643-0-29805300-1484521977.jpeg

After a couple of hours I've got the body built and most of the detailing done. Still a bit more to add plus I have to find a KV-1 turret from somewhere.

post-23643-0-88685700-1484519987_thumb.jpeg

Al.

• Like 8

More progress on the rail cleaner wagon.

With the detailing done, it got painted. As it's based on a Russian armoured wagon, I decided to paint it as it would have looked while in service of the Motherland. After being captured by the Reich, the Soviet markings have been hurriedly painted over and German makings added.

The wagon has still got the panther turret fitted. I've found a KV-1 hull tucked away at the back of a draw, but the turrets gone missing. As soon as it turns up, I'll swap it over.

post-23643-0-73362900-1484757367_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-96636500-1484757384_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-32213200-1484757406_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-09152300-1484757431_thumb.jpeg

Al.

Edited by Al.
  • Like 9

I recently stumbled across and watched the 1946 French film "La Bataille Du Rail" on YouTube. 

A lot of it involves a resistance attack on a German armored train that included a similar armored turret vehicle.

Right guys. I'm after your opinions on an issue that I've been side-stepping since starting Remagen.

The layout is set in Germany, during the war years and while the Nazi party were in power. The Swastika was a common sight during that period and would have been displayed on the E-Boats, the paddle steamer and various mititary vehicles.

So, in this day and age, and in the rail fraternity, is this acceptable or liable to cause offence...?

post-23643-0-31337100-1485090266_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-76762900-1485090329_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Right guys. I'm after your opinions on an issue that I've been side-stepping since starting Remagen.

The layout is set in Germany, during the war years and while the Nazi party were in power. The Swastika was a common sight during that period and would have been displayed on the E-Boats, the paddle steamer and various mititary vehicles.

So, in this day and age, and in the rail fraternity, is this acceptable or liable to cause offence...?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

In my view, you are modelling a period in history and should therefore display the insignia used at the time.

It will be interesting to hear what others think

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

For me personally 'NO' and I think for 99.9 % of people would think the same -  as you are making an accurate model of a period when that was 'the norm' - it would be like people taking offence of the swastika in a film or a play depicting that period.

Put another way if you were to wear a swastika badge or arm band whilst operating the layout that would be offensive as you would be doing that now in 2017 and so would not be appropriate - wheras everything on the layout you would be operating is taking place in 1944 so is appropriate

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I can't comment on the model railway community at large, but, it does not offend me - it was one of the national flags (and political party motif) of that particular country at that particular point in history. If you were to flick through a modern Isle of Man TT Races programme to the list of previous race winners, you will find the Swastika displayed as the national flag of the competitors listed during the 1930's. I am sure I have seen it as such in other publications too.

I can fully understand some people being uncomfortable with it,  given the events of history, however, I also fully understand your concerns and think it is very considerate of you to ask for guidance.

:good:  :good:  :good:  :good:

Rail Gun looks superb, by the way !