Station with island platforms

NittenDormer

This is the Brough picture I had intended to post. The engine is on the Down Fast, the porter is stood on the Down platform, and with the Down Slow to the right of the picture. Extreme right, and completly divorced from the railway and platforms stands the station building.

post-702-0-91977000-1458221100_thumb.jpg

The 1963 view of Bangor station on the page below broadly fits your criteria except that there are additional tracks that you can just ignore:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bangor/

In case it isn't obvious, the station building is on the right of colour '63 photo and on the left of the b/w '69 photo below it.

A similar layout to aforementioned Netwton Abbot, and although the station building is less fancy, the walkway is much prettier.

Thanks for all the responses so far, impressive for little over 12 hours! I shall investigate the examples further and shamelessly copy all the best bits of them. Some I was aware of without realising they fitted the bill (Hellifield, Doncaster) lots of others I would never have come across otherwise.

Cheers my friend,,,see that's what we are all here for...to help one another no matter how small the posting may be....good eh?

Regards

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Horsham in West Sussex has island platforms with the station building outside of the up loop, Westbury has island platforms with the booking office and ground level with platform access via a subway. Three bridges has two island platforms and a single face platform on the downside.

• RMweb Gold

If you want to historical there was one company that used Island platforms a lot.

Have a look at the Great Central London extension from Sheffield.

They certainly did, probably more than anyone else, and as new construction too. These stations don't really meet the criteria asked for though, which were two island platforms with the station buildings at track level outside the tracks, linked to the platforms by subway or bridge.

Of London Extension stations only Nottingham Victoria had two islands, and while this had the station building at one side, it was at street level, a very considerable height above the platforms, which were in a deep cutting. Leicester Central had a single island with two bays at each end, and a station building to one side at street level, connected to the platform by subway, as the station was on a viaduct. The other island platform stations either had all the buildings on the platform, with steps either down from a road overbridge,or up from a road underbridge, or a booking office on a road overbridge with steps down to the platform and the rest of the buildings, like Loughborough and Rugby Centrals.

Another modest station that fits the bill is Clapham Junction, with both subways and bridges linking the roadside buildings to the island platforms, although there is a rogue single sided platform for the West London Extension Railway, but that is only accessed from the bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Although a "platform zero" was added in around 2000 directly above the station entrance where the building was also rebuilt. 

Cardiff Central is similar. 

And Cardiff Central also has a platform zero added in recent times, although this is to one side of the station entrance rather than directly above it. 

Doncaster matches your description. The present station building dates from 1938 and is, therefore, in a distinctly different style to the rest of the station (which still displays its GNR origins). I suspect (although I don't know) that the present plat 1 was added at the time of rebuilding which thus made it into the two island platforms configuration. The station building is on the same level as the tracks and the platforms are connected to it by an underpass (although there is also a pedestrian right of way footbridge across the south end). Just a thought therefore that you could invent a similar story that your station was rebuilt at some point during its life into its present configuration?

The footbridge is NOT a pedestrian right of way.

The ones I can think of that would fit the bill, although not all booking offices are at ground level, are Witham, Gidea Park, on the GE, St Neots, Biggleswade, Stevenage [new], Knebworth, Brooksmans Park, Potters Bar, New Barnet, Oakleigh Park,  New Southgate. Of those St Neots and Brookmans Park closely fits the bill, followed by Biggleswade and Witham, the last being close to the double track to 4 track scenario, although the station buildings are at a higher level to the track. Hope this helps.

Paul J.

• 2 weeks later...

Although it had only 2 platform faces and 3 platforms Cheltenham Malvern Road could provide some inspiration (as well as being a contender for the weirdest station ever.)     The Station building had a loading dock and end load about 3 wagons long adjacent but all the platforms were on an island accessed by a footbridge with the bay indented into the up platform.    ...  Worth a look?

Archived