Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi. In a bit of a state of shock as I realise it's finished ready for cleaning up and painting. Starting on that tomorrow.

The only bit of construction is finishing the last bit on the valve gear after painting.

What a long build this has been for such a small prototype.

At least the painting is straight forward being plain BR black. 

post-150-0-10903800-1539443768_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-09774900-1539443792_thumb.jpg

Uuurrg just noticed the rain strips on the roof are missing. Thankfully a five minute job.

post-150-0-10903800-1539443768_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-09774900-1539443792_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

What a long build this has been for such a small prototype.

You're having laugh Ken - you only started it on 30th September. I'd still be reading the instructions....

(Nice build, by the way).

Regards

Dan

You're having laugh Ken - you only started it on 30th September. I'd still be reading the instructions....

(Nice build, by the way).

Regards

Dan

Thanks Dan.  (A small tank loco should only take no more than a week :declare:)

• Like 1

Hi. A  good days work making a start on the painting, reassembling and test running.  All running very well. It is quite a heavy model needing no additional weight.

Balance weights to be added, backhead to paint and fit glazing, crew, coal to add etc., etc.

post-150-0-13819400-1539547444_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Morning Ken,

Have you got the new solder station fired up yet? Just wondered what you thought of it, as I intend to buy an Esra this time.

I miss loco building and would like to do at least one build over the winter, I have a few little boxes gathering dust in the cupboard, but the layout build has taken president of late.

Keep up the good work,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Morning Ken,

Have you got the new solder station fired up yet? Just wondered what you thought of it, as I intend to buy an Esra this time.

I miss loco building and would like to do at least one build over the winter, I have a few little boxes gathering dust in the cupboard, but the layout build has taken president of late.

Keep up the good work,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn.  I've been using the Ersa for the past week.  So far, no complaints. I have the I-Con Pico 80W.  Works well on 7mm etched kits. I have purchased a 5mm and 3.5mm soldering tips, using the 5mm most of the time and switching to the 3.5mm for smaller items. I have it set to 400C for all the work except the smallest of white metal casings.

After advice from Warren Shephard I have watered down the liquid flux and all seems well by doing that so far. (I use MBO Z60 flux)

The default on this one is to start to reduce temperature after 5mins of inactivity. Instructions say you can alter that by accessing it's default menu. I have not had the courage to start meddling with default settings.

After advice from Warren Shephard I have watered down the liquid flux and all seems well by doing that so far. (I use MBO Z60 flux)

Ken, could I ask what kind of ratio you use to water it down with? I'd quite like to give that a go.

Ken, could I ask what kind of ratio you use to water it down with? I'd quite like to give that a go.

Watered down by approximately 40%. I've only just started doing that and appears OK.  I'm just starting a Gladiator Jubilee, so will see how that pans out.

Thanks for the advice Ken, I always use to have Antex irons, but the last one lasted not even two years and after some research found out they are now made in China rather than in the UK.

And another thanks goes to you, as it was interesting threads like yours that finally helped get my enthusiasm ( mojo ) back.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice Ken, I always use to have Antex irons, but the last one lasted not even two years and after some research found out they are now made in China rather than in the UK.

And another thanks goes to you, as it was interesting threads like yours that finally helped get my enthusiasm ( mojo ) back.

Cheers,

Martyn.

You're very welcome Martyn.   I too have used Antex 50W temp controlled for some years and also found the quality has dropped. Needed two replacements in three years and the latest one the power cable failed three times in the past twelve months. The cable finally reducing to less than three feet. They are now useless in my opinion.

Right, Now for another Gladiator Jubilee. This one is to be 45671 Prince Rupert. Not expecting any surprises with this kit as it's a well trodden build in my case.  Spent yesterday afternoon prepping all etches for the tender and spent today on the chassis and some of the body.

I very happy with the Ersa soldering station after thinking I would never need one. (The result in the decline of the Antex irons)

post-150-0-57872200-1539798546_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-07990700-1539798573_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-60164600-1539798599_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-57872200-1539798546_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-07990700-1539798573_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-60164600-1539798599_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nice work Ken - I ditched my Antex after 30 years and moved on to an Ersa iCon1 and have never looked back, I wouldn't be without it.

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony.    I love the Ersa after the cumbersome Antex.

Edited by jazz