Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

• RMweb Premium

I can't quite make them out but is it the bolection mouldings and panel lines that make up one layer and the basic carriage side another then the droplights a third?

I have seen bolection moulding supplied separately which seems to simplify the number of overall layers. Is this the cause of the amount of layers?

Wonderful work as usual by the way Ken, I have been amazed at how many kits you have assembled over the years I have been watching.

Many thanks for the continued inspiration and show you how bits, really illuminating.

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

Ian, You have the panel mouldings, bolection mouldings, window drop lights, separate upper and lower sides, doors, hinges, door handles and grab handles ALL of which are separate entities. Makes for some very nifty soldering without soldered parts becoming unsoldered.

Right, I have fitted the front and rear ends, all the grab handles, strengthened the coach sides just below the tops. Also made a start on all the underfloor detailing.  Strangely there are no steps included for the passenger door hangers. So they will be fabricated tomorrow.

I think tomorrow I will make a start on sorting out the roof. I intend to make it removable and have it bolted on from below the floor. I think the length of it needs that so it will sit on the sides satisfactorily. 

post-150-0-92149800-1537457480_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ken, I've had a look back through your posts and I'm not sure which diagram of steam railmotor you are building as Scorpio do a couple of different SRM types, some 59'6" and others 70'.  Anyway I've found this photo of SRM No 98 to dia R (like the preserved one No 93) in my collection and have attached a copy if it's of any interest.  I've had the photo for 40+ years and there are no details on the back but I'll remove it if anyone claims copyright.

Cheers,

Ray.post-23517-0-77426100-1537461353_thumb.jpg

post-23517-0-77426100-1537461353_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Right, I have fitted the front and rear ends, all the grab handles, strengthened the coach sides just below the tops. Also made a start on all the underfloor detailing.  Strangely there are no steps included for the passenger door hangers. So they will be fabricated tomorrow.

I think tomorrow I will make a start on sorting out the roof. I intend to make it removable and have it bolted on from below the floor. I think the length of it needs that so it will sit on the sides satisfactorily. 

attachicon.gifQ1. 18 - 1.jpg

Nice work Ken,Just a quick note on the roof, When you cut it from the fret, Do not cut off the guttering, It looks like you have to remove them on first glance,But the instructions say other wise,

I cut mine off then read the instructions.

Nice work Ken,Just a quick note on the roof, When you cut it from the fret, Do not cut off the guttering, It looks like you have to remove them on first glance,But the instructions say other wise,

I cut mine off then read the instructions.

Agree. At first glance it definitely looks like should be removed first. Thankfully I am reading everything before attacking the frets.

• Like 1

Roof almost right. Still not happy with the fit so far, so more tweaking tomorrow. (Not easy to do)

Also completed the detailing under floor. Cannot fit the rodding until the bogies units are fitted.

Not an easy kit to build at all, definitely not a beginners kit.  Having said that will be be a very nice representation of the prototype.

post-150-0-76094400-1537543882_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-74667300-1537543907_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ian, You have the panel mouldings, bolection mouldings, window drop lights, separate upper and lower sides, doors, hinges, door handles and grab handles ALL of which are separate entities. Makes for some very nifty soldering without soldered parts becoming unsoldered.

Suddenly remembered when and why I invested in my RSU

• Like 1

After a day off the bench I've been may headway today.  I have now come to a real head scratching issue. The motor bogie is not sitting under the roof hatch and the valve gear is fouling the side bogie struts. 

On the face of it the struts, roof hatch and power bogie will need adjustments to get it all lined up even though everything is using the holes and tabs etc etc 

All tomorrows problem.

post-150-0-78731100-1537720818_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-60506600-1537720842_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-63550800-1537720863_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-78731100-1537720818_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-60506600-1537720842_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-63550800-1537720863_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ken,

Is it that the bogie needs to go forwards for both boiler & valve gear to fit correctly, or is one forr’d and t’other aft?

Best

Simon

I could not wait 'till tomorrow, so fiddled with it this evening.  Looks like I have sussed it. I moved the boiler back a tad on the bogie chassis and closed the gap a tad on the struts. It all now sits as it should I now have to fit the inner struts which if left loose on the cross beams allows the chassis to swing enough for curves. I must say I have reservations regarding that.  (Scorpio say it will, so we will see)

Not too bothered about that though as on my layout it will not need to use the crossovers as it will run straight from the fiddle yard to the platform and back. (It's just that I would like it to negotiate 6' curves.)

• Like 7

Ken, the holes in the Solebar for the supports are too far apart and there is a note in the instructions to change the pitch - I can't say what the pitch should be as I am on holiday in Scotland at the moment (Balquhidder - on the site of an old station) that could be part of the issue.

Jeff

Scorpio Models

All the initial problems and concerns have been resolved.  Test running this morning on. the layout and it sails through the Peco crossovers with no problems. I have to admit I did have serious doubts that it would drinking construction.

Jeff (Scorpio) did post that the struts from the chassis do have to be repositioned. I had already decided to do that and it is nice for the decision to be confirmed correct.  Thanks for the post Jeff. (I had missed that in the instructions, they were there)

Now it's a few days on the interior detailing. Quite a number of white metal seats to construct and some control details cannot be added until painting is complete.

post-150-0-56789700-1537867580_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very good ken. Could do with a kit for a LSWR though that's unlikely as they did not last long on the south western. But you know modellers license etc. I fancy one in SR lined green.

Thanks Peter.  Modellers licence works just fine for me. These Railmotors were all retired by 1935 Of course No 93 survived into preservation).   So this Railmotor is about 16 years out of date for my 1950's layout and I don't care one jot.

My story is this, this one is incorrectly recorded and did in fact escape withdrawal. Eventually running on the Wadebrige-Bodmin line serving the branch to Trenruth until 1960. :onthequiet:

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

Just an update on the railmotor. I started the painting stage. I have put a couple of details at on the wrong end (senior moment, all that have been corrected.  

post-150-0-48646700-1537991804_thumb.jpg

Studying available photos on line, I cannot see if there was any lining along the waist. I could make out some across the loco end but not where it started and ended. Any one know the answers?

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

Hells teeth, you’re not hanging around on this one!

I don’t suppose it’s much help but I did my autocoach like the one in the right hand column, 4th row. Thin yellow stripe all the way round.

Best

Simon

(Quietly building a couple of buffer stops for the t/t at PD!)

GWR railcars & railmotors - MikeMorant

This is all i can find, One pictured here is unlined ,Ill have a look in my books tomorrow see what else i can find

Thanks for the photos.   I did some more searching last night and decided to follow the auto coaches.  I am leaning to no lining.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hells teeth, you’re not hanging around on this one!

I don’t suppose it’s much help but I did my autocoach like the one in the right hand column, 4th row. Thin yellow stripe all the way round.

Best

Simon

(Quietly building a couple of buffer stops for the t/t at PD!)

Hi Simon.  Yesterday was a lovely warm day and a sun trap on the front. The primer was dry in 30 minutes. That enabled me to spray the cream colour by 9.00am then late afternoon the brown.  Now ready for the remainder.

• Like 1