Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Now starting the loco chassis. Yesterday was spent prepping the etches and cleaning up the cylinder castings.  Today spent most of the morning getting the crossheads to slide properly and cleaning a fair bit of flash to enable the connecting rods to be fitted to them.

Knocking up the etches was quite quick.

post-150-0-32183900-1540133339_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

Now starting the loco chassis. Yesterday was spent prepping the etches and cleaning up the cylinder castings.  Today spent most of the morning getting the crossheads to slide properly and cleaning a fair bit of flash to enable the connecting rods to be fitted to them.

Knocking up the etches was quite quick.

attachicon.gifStanier jubilee 5 - 1.jpg

Bl00dy hell, Ken!! You don't hang about!!!

As always, looking forward to following yet another build.

Regards, Deano.

Hi. Only able to get a short spell on the WB today. So got the brake gear done and fitted the some sanding gear. Tomorrow I will start the body.

The build is a typical Gladiator/David Andrews kit and going quite well.

post-150-0-78600600-1540238000_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi. Spent quite a while this morning punching out the rivets, there was loads of them to do.  Anyway eventually goy round to start the actual assembly.  Everything went together very well.       So far all the soldering is done from the rear of the etches so making for very little cleanup at the end.   Onwards tomorrow.

post-150-0-75557600-1540308427_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martyn.  I've been using the Ersa for the past week.  So far, no complaints. I have the I-Con Pico 80W.  Works well on 7mm etched kits. I have purchased a 5mm and 3.5mm soldering tips, using the 5mm most of the time and switching to the 3.5mm for smaller items. I have it set to 400C for all the work except the smallest of white metal casings.

After advice from Warren Shephard I have watered down the liquid flux and all seems well by doing that so far. (I use MBO Z60 flux)

The default on this one is to start to reduce temperature after 5mins of inactivity. Instructions say you can alter that by accessing it's default menu. I have not had the courage to start meddling with default settings.

Ken, out of interest where did you buy your Ersa soldering station and spare bits from?

Ken, out of interest where did you buy your Ersa soldering station and spare bits from?

Hi. Got it from Farnell Element 14.   Google Uk.farnell.com.  A really good company, very helpful, excellent prices. Very quick delivery and tracked all the way by private carrier (I think it was UPS)

Now not the Jubilee.  Took a while to get the s/box, boiler and firebox assembled and all correctly lined up. A lot of filing and fiddling on the boiler as the front end was a couple mm leaning backwards and there rear the same amount leaning forwards. (I have had the same issue on all the taper boilers on these.) That was the only problem, so nowt to complain about.

post-150-0-68238500-1540400046_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

Looking very much like a Jubilee and coming along so quickly.

I do think, though, that the support arrangements for the ejector exhaust pipe and the hand rail above, are not quite right. The three supports on the boiler barrel are flat, open cradles, as modelled. There is a narrow ring support (rather like an over-sized handrail stanchion) directly below the hand rail stanchion on the firebox and there was no pipe flange near this support. The three hand rail supports on the barrel should be conventional stanchions, with ball ends at the rail. Hope I'm not being too picky.

Dave.

Lovely work - I don't think I'd really clocked before just how short the boiler barrel is on a Jubilee, compared to the long smokebox and firebox. Really looking forward to seeing this one finished.

David

Don't forget this is the long firebox version making the boiler very much shorter.

Edited by jazz

Looking very much like a Jubilee and coming along so quickly.

I do think, though, that the support arrangements for the ejector exhaust pipe and the hand rail above, are not quite right. The three supports on the boiler barrel are flat, open cradles, as modelled. There is a narrow ring support (rather like an over-sized handrail stanchion) directly below the hand rail stanchion on the firebox and there was no pipe flange near this support. The three hand rail supports on the barrel should be conventional stanchions, with ball ends at the rail. Hope I'm not being too picky.

Dave.

The handrails and ejector pipe supports are very much the same as the photos. I do agree the flange is not quite right on the firebox end but I am using what was supplied in the kit. The owner of the model is happy with that.

Your making me look slower than Brian the snail. Nice work. I'm waiting to see what the cylinder drains look look like so I can copy.

I do spend far more hours on the WB per week than you can manage Peter.  The cylinder drain pipes are tomorrows job.

• Like 2

Right, Almost there now, just the cab interior to do on the body and then finish the footplate on the tender and it's ready to clean up for the primer.

Peter asked about the cylinder drains, well here they are as well.

post-150-0-10962200-1540653806_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-15976700-1540653846_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-34308300-1540653870_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Update on the Jubilee.  Finished the tender ready for priming. Also the loco body loco is finished. Spent the rest of today on the loco chassis detail and making up and fitting all the swinging dangly bits except the return cranks that one be done after I have painted the chassis.

I  hope tomorrows weather a bit kinder than todays as I paint in the garage. Jolly cold in there at present.

post-150-0-22657700-1540830186_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

After waiting for the weather to improve, I have finally finished the Jubilee today. Powered by an ABC unit she runs very nicely. It also has a big lump of weight in the boiler as it will be pulling quite a few coaches apparently.

Looks like it will require a small dab of filler under the smoke box front, also on that steam pipe. (I missed that until it was primed.)

post-150-0-46730100-1541087525_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-38039200-1541087556_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-10498000-1541087579_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

Now that was a forgone conclusion. Even if I had of started last year. I think I got bored of fighting with it. Anyway next one will be easier. It's a F? From the Gladiator range.

That should only be a few days work? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  Just returned from a very relaxing time in Florida visiting our daughter. What a difference here from the the 87 deg we have left there!

Anyway just before we left I had started the delightful offering from Jim's Connoisseur range of loco kits.  This particular kit had been in storage for quite some time and did lack the current additions. This entailed some scratch building in the cab and tank supports to the boiler. thankfully Jim has the current instructions and photos which helps a lot.

A very easy kit to build and takes no time at all as every time fits perfectly.  Powered by the MSC single stage united runs very well. I have added my usual centre axle spring.

All that is needed now is glazing, coal, crew and a lot of weathering as she is in her last year before withdrawal.   Exactly how she has ended up in the Bodmin area and Trenruth is yet to be figured out.

Maybe she has been sold to a local mine and doing a few turns before being delivered?

post-150-0-05707800-1542644820_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-35931000-1542644868_thumb.jpg

• Like 6