Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

I had that with the jubilee. I managed to take a slice out of the middle of it.

As for oversized holes in valve gear I tend to use wire and solder the forks.

I sliced off each side where it folds backwards, filed a bit off all four faces and soldered them back together. That made for the correct overall width. Of course I did not find the discrepancy until I came to fit the floor and rear cab plate. So quite a bit of time wasted there.

I like using nuts& bolts on the valve gear as I can solder the nuts on without risking making it all solid with solder. I then file the nuts down very thin. Works every time and never had a failure on locos that are decades old in quite regular use on clients/friends locos.

• Like 1

That's a shame finding out after fitting. The jub was just too wide and fell off each side of the footplate.

I'll have to try your method. I take it that 14BA Heads and nuts are small enough not to look out of place.

Hi Peter.  Take a look at page 116, good photo of valve gear on there.  In the painting I use silver paint with a small dab of black in it to hide the brass heads. Sometimes a dab of low solder as can be seen on the return crank heads.

Edited by jazz

Hi.  Nothing done on the WB yesterday, spent a few hours in Bangor Hospital on a post op visit that took forever.  Anyway, today, this kit is a disappointment.  Not a lot that is right that does not need a lot of work to get somewhere near. I hope I've done a good enough job so gar. Tomorrow will need some time to get the body to sit exactly right on the chassis before I can proceed.  I guess being an ex Acorn kit says it all.

So here is todays effort. Much cleaning up of the solder is also needed.

post-150-0-41902100-1543603604_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A little bit more done on the body.  All morning sorting out and filing the castings. The white metal ones have a generous amount of flash to carefully remove. They are mostly confined to the other side.  Tomorrow will see no progress on WB so it will be Tuesday to tackle the other side. 

All the fittings and pipes are soldered on which entailed some tricky soldering in places and a bit of cleaning off of solder to do.

post-150-0-67364400-1543767974_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

Hi guys, I guess that comes as a result of many years of scratch building and kits of very dubious quality way before CAD's of today.

I'd agree with that, given that I am a long way through another Acorn production of equally dubious quality, although I think it was CAD drawn. CAD does make life easier when it comes to designing kits, but when it comes to errors, it just makes them more accurately inaccurate.

One little thing, and it may result in gnashing of teeth, I'd have a close look at the left hand expansion link.

Jim

I'd agree with that, given that I am a long way through another Acorn production of equally dubious quality, although I think it was CAD drawn. CAD does make life easier when it comes to designing kits, but when it comes to errors, it just makes them more accurately inaccurate.

One little thing, and it may result in gnashing of teeth, I'd have a close look at the left hand expansion link.

Jim

Ooops! Think it is only secured with a screw though.

Sandy

Jim, the expansion link is just fine, it's very freely swinging and will be OK when all connected up.

I do agree that CAD is only as good as the guy draws it up and is no guarantee that the kit will be good. Hence the need for test builds and subsequent alterations, if not that's done and acted on then a bad kit is the result.

Yes, you are right, it will need flipping round when painting is complete and the the final connection is made to the return crank. It's only held in place with a bolt through it at present.

Hi. Onwards and forwards with the body. Not a great deal left to do now, the chimney need a bit of filing to get it sit upright. I may see it completed by the end of the week, I hope. There is still a bit to do the tender to finish off.

post-150-0-29513600-1543948872_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-22328000-1543948947_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

Hi.  Tomorrow will be the final finishing off.  Still short of one tender axle box, that will be fitted shortly.  I have a lot of cleaning up and a little bit of filling small gaps to sort. I had to thin down the smoke box door, way to bulbous.

Not a happy kit to build at all.

post-150-0-60719600-1544113111_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-72937700-1544113131_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi. Finished off the build (excluding the final assembly after priming is finished).  The weather a bit too inclement today for that.

After much pondering regarding the reverser rod and mechanical lubricator regarding parting the body from the chassis I think it's satisfactorily solved.  The lubricator lever mechanism is soldered to the slide supports but not connected to the actual Lub box.  The reverser rod had a bracket fabricated under the running plate and is soldered to that. The front end has another bracket fabricated and just sits loose on the reverser rod that goes right through the chassis.    

The best solution I could come up with.

Hoping tomorrows weather is kinder than today.

post-150-0-09141600-1544207765_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-62126800-1544207793_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work as expected Ken. I always wanted to build at least one of each of the standards for myself, never enough time through for such a luxury as completely outside my modelling period.

Thanks Peter.  I have to say a model out of my period has never stopped me building ones I like, I have them in display cases around the house and never running on the layout.

The largest loco being a double tender Flying Scotsman painted and lined by Conrad Cooper. The water tender is a part scratch built one using a second regular tender from David Andrews.  It does run very well with an ABC unit.

Here she is in place of pride in the hall.

post-150-0-59082400-1544216195_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2

Hi. Finished at last. Didn't enjoy this one at all. It did not live up to all the many previous Scorpio builds I have done over the years.

Here it is ready for delivery.

post-150-0-08715300-1544445559_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-64221400-1544445594_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-17367700-1544445619_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi. Finished at last. Didn't enjoy this one at all. It did not live up to all the many previous Scorpio builds I have done over the years.

Here it is ready for delivery.

attachicon.gifBR Class 3 2-6-0 16 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBR Class 3 2-6-0 17 - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBR Class 3 2-6-0 18 - 1.jpg

I have followed your build Ken and despite all your trials and tribulations I admire your staying power with this build, well done !

Regarding the highlighted part of your response can I ask if you've built the Scorpio GWR Armstrong Goods at any point ?

I only ask out of curiosity as I have one which I hope will be my second 7mm build and would be grateful for any pointers.

Well done Ken. .

Full marks for perseverance.

Sandy

Totally in agreement.

Grahame

• Like 1